5/18 Games

DirtySox

So Mena is throwing curveballs for strikes and now a change...what more could he possibly show in low-A? I could understand if we have more staff in carolinas they may not want him to go to birmingham, but don't see reason to not move him to A+.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

zero walks for a 19 year old, 4 pitches for strikes...I'm in love.

That fact that he's projectable and should add velocity to the fastball as he fills out is super tantilizing. While it's not a bad pitch, he's not blowing people away with the fastball as it stands. It's mainly the secondaries and the pitch mix.

7 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

That fact that he's projectable and should add velocity to the fastball as he fills out is super tantilizing. While it's not a bad pitch, he's not blowing people away with the fastball as it stands. It's mainly the secondaries and the pitch mix.

Just don’t trade him to the Guardians. He’d be terrifying there

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bmags said:

I take that back I guess, if the pitching coach match is really clicking, I can see keeping him. Would be cool to know that stuff.

Because back in the day, they always wanted players to get the reward of making a mid-season All-Star team, take that reward/distinction and success with them and then spend the next 6-8 weeks at the higher affiliate and hopefully play in a postseason series.   If no post-season, some of them got moved up or down to get that additional experience, too.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Colas hit his 4th HR today. What's genuinely impressive is that this is his first year of competitive baseball since hmm 2019 maybe 2020 . Hard to tell by his stats page.

Get him up to somewhere around 125 AB's and promote him .

https://www.thebaseballcube.com/content/player/224168/

2019 they have him with just a handful of at-bats with Fukuoka...talk about major layoffs, it's more than Kopech's even, and that's extremely challenging for a hitter to have that much time off and get back into a rhythm and comfort zone at the plate again.  Especially seeing a lot more extreme velocity than over in Japan.