5/21 Sox @ Yankees | 12:05PM CT | Keuchel vs Cortes

Capn12

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

TA and all the regulars but perhaps Yoan need to be in there both games today. FFS, the Sox need to win games and have three off days the next week. 

It’s the end of May and they are hovering around .500 playing some rather lifeless baseball.  This team needs to start taking every game seriously and playing with urgency.  No more white flag lineups and punted games please. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

It is still a mass white population appropriating something from a an indigenous people and turning it into sports meme on par with the wave.  It’s not ok in baseball or football or any sport. 

Maybe so, but in these cases there are often complicated relations and dynamics that don't reduce to either/or scenarios.

In this article, Chuck Culpepper describes the decades long relationship between the Seminole Nation and Florida State University. The tribe is often aggressive when defending the association with the school when confronted by outsiders WRT the use of NIL rights. NIL in this case covering the tribal identity and intellectual property rights of the tribe.

The Washington Post usually offers limited free articles to non-subscribers:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/florida-states-unusual-bond-with-seminole-tribe-puts-mascot-debate-in-a-different-light/2014/12/29/5386841a-8eea-11e4-ba53-a477d66580ed_story.html

Edited by FoxForce2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

And the Kansas City Chiefs?

As I said, I was setting aside politico-cultural connotation and addressing baseball-football differences. I don't know what the relationship between the Chiefs ownership and fans is with the Plains Native Americans/Indians so I can't address that issue directly. I do know that Arrowhead can be a very tough place to play for visiting teams.

e.g When attending a game at Owen Field, one side of the stadium shouts BOOMER! in unison and the other side responds with SOONER! It works in a football setting, not so much in baseball. Pretty intimidating to opponents when 85,000 rabid fans are engaged in this coordinated call-and-respond stadium wide chant.

Edited by FoxForce2

13 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Anyone else think Moncada is still injured? 

I think he is. In the last KC game, he was in obvious discomfort after getting a single. Then he barely made it around the bases after the Robert home run. I don't think LaRussa even noticed. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the lineup today.

54 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Maybe so, but in these cases there are often complicated relations and dynamics that don't reduce to either/or scenarios.

In this article, Chuck Culpepper describes the decades long relationship between the Seminole Nation and Florida State University. The tribe is often aggressive when defending the association with the school when confronted by outsiders WRT the use of NIL rights. NIL in this case covering the tribal identity and intellectual property rights of the tribe.

The Washington Post usually offers limited free articles to non-subscribers:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/florida-states-unusual-bond-with-seminole-tribe-puts-mascot-debate-in-a-different-light/2014/12/29/5386841a-8eea-11e4-ba53-a477d66580ed_story.html

The Seminole nation can reconcile with FSU the institution, but it doesn’t exonerate white fans engaging in the chop.  It’s still a demeaning appropriation and it’s not ok.  There is no good justification.  There are still cultural things that are not ok for white people to do. 

17 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The Seminole nation can reconcile with FSU the institution, but it doesn’t exonerate white fans engaging in the chop.  It’s still a demeaning appropriation and it’s not ok.  There is no good justification.  There are still cultural things that are not ok for white people to do. 

I don't disagree. OTH - are there cultural things that are not ok for Native American/Indians, African (descent), Chinese, Japanese, Semitic etc. people to engage in?
This is yesterday's gamethread and will soon be dissolving through the pot - Have a great Sox Day!

8 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

I don't disagree. OTH - are there cultural things that are not ok for Native American/Indians, African (descent), Chinese, Japanese, Semitic etc. people to engage in?
This is yesterday's gamethread and will soon be dissolving through the pot - Have a great Sox Day!

These nationalities don’t have the same history of oppressing and dehumanizing white people as white people historically do in this nation and throughout western history.  White people need to recognize and reconcile with this.  There is no reverse equivalence here.  I’m not attacking you personally but there really isn’t a need to justify these behaviors or in any way argue a context in which it is or would be ok. 

Edited by Tnetennba