5/20 Games

BamaDoc

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Yolbert beginning to show some extra base hit power is a great sign. The Sox should be running out of reasons not to call him up.

There are $5.5 million reasons plus the small buyout.

This is just not the type of move the Sox typically make unless it's for a legit top prospect.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There are $5.5 million reasons plus the small buyout.

This is just not the type of move the Sox typically make unless it's for a legit top prospect.

They did DFA Eaton last year when he was making similar money and the alternative options (I believe) were Brian Goodwin & Jake Lamb. I don't think it's a given Harrison keeps the job through June if he doesn't start hitting.

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

They did DFA Eaton last year when he was making similar money and the alternative options (I believe) were Brian Goodwin & Jake Lamb. I don't think it's a given Harrison keeps the job through June if he doesn't start hitting.

We will see...if the division lead gets in the 6-7 range they might have no choice.

Even then I believe LaRussa's preference is going to be a major leaguer via trade, someone of course from the NL like Brandon Drury on the Reds.

Although I don't believe this would actually happen, assuming Harrison doesn't hit and is let go, it would be super ballsy if the Sox promoted Lenyn from B'ham to try and tackle 2B. He would need to be added to the 40-man this offseason anyways if they wanted to keep him around. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Although I don't believe this would actually happen, assuming Harrison doesn't hit and is let go, it would be super ballsy if the Sox promoted Lenyn from B'ham to try and tackle 2B. He would need to be added to the 40-man this offseason anyways if they wanted to keep him around. 

No 22 year old middle infielder who's hitting this well wouldn't get added to a 40 man, right? So he'll either be on the Sox 40 man come December or he'll get traded elsewhere. I'd been wondering if Sosa could be an option given he's showing so much more power upside, but the track record is so limited.. I'd be concerned about stunting his development if he comes up and is overwhelmed. The floor with Yolbert seems higher. But I don't think this is a bad suggestion at all.

12 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

No 22 year old middle infielder who's hitting this well wouldn't get added to a 40 man, right? So he'll either be on the Sox 40 man come December or he'll get traded elsewhere. I'd been wondering if Sosa could be an option given he's showing so much more power upside, but the track record is so limited.. I'd be concerned about stunting his development if he comes up and is overwhelmed. The floor with Yolbert seems higher. But I don't think this is a bad suggestion at all.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. They could do the conservative approach and send Yolbert to Chicago and have Lenyn take his spot in Charlotte, which I think is more likely to happen. It's very possible they use him in a trade, but I'd have some pause in that regard because guys don't normally hit like that in Birmingham, DUDES hit like that in Birmingham.

Yoelqui just homered as well.

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

The one thing about Sosa is that he has been a notoriously slow adjuster to higher levels.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The one thing about Sosa is that he has been a notoriously slow adjuster to higher levels.

Very true, but he's also been young for each level he's been at. I don't know how successful he would be if promoted from Birmingham to the Sox, but I'm confident he could match Harrison's measly production.

8 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Very true, but he's also been young for each level he's been at. I don't know how successful he would be if promoted from Birmingham to the Sox, but I'm confident he could match Harrison's measly production.

It would be a very bold move especially since Yolbert has earned a shot too. It's still so early but if the Sox hitting woes continue I'd promote Sosa to AAA to play along side Yolbert and see how that works out for a month or 2. One can play SS and the other 2nd base. Heck can Sosa play OF ? If Sheets and Vaughn can why not Sosa ? Might cause quite the stir. Another Sosa in the Sox OF.

That gives Harrison time to establish a true level of suck and gives Sosa time to see if his problems adjusting to a new level continue and see if Yolbert continues his fine level of play.

There's a lot of 27-30 yr old filler/organizational guys at AAA who can be replaced. Remillard, Rivera, Jones, Payton, Mercedes, Mendick . Plenty to choose from.

Never thought I'd be saying this but since Sosa is Venezuelan and so is Ozzie Guillen ask Oz if he would manage the Knights. He's also an ex infielder so that would be helpful too.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• bmags unpinned this topic