Knights fire Wes Helms

soxfan49

7 hours ago, wegner said:

Oh, it was a glorious thread when they acquired him.  I laughed out loud many times.  Look for it.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The thread is currently on page 9.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged."

On that note, Happy Birthday shout out for American Acting Legend, Judge Reinhold!!

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

"Judge not, that ye be not judged."

On that note, Happy Birthday shout out for American Acting Legend, Judge Reinhold!!

Death before Disco. 

• Fire 1

Very odd thought I just had. Why not ask Ozzie Guillen to manage the Knights and promote Sosa to Charlotte. Both are Venezuelan and it could help Sosa adjust to Charlotte quicker since he's had some trouble with adjusting to a new level. Also if Sheets and Vaughn can play OF why not Sosa ? Would love to see Sosa and Sanchez together on the Knights to put some pressure on Harrison and have 2 viable players to replace him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Very odd thought I just had. Why not ask Ozzie Guillen to manage the Knights and promote Sosa to Charlotte. Both are Venezuelan and it could help Sosa adjust to Charlotte quicker since he's had some trouble with adjusting to a new level. Also if Sheets and Vaughn can play OF why not Sosa ? Would love to see Sosa and Sanchez together on the Knights to put some pressure on Harrison and have 2 viable players to replace him.

Well, for one it wouldn't be enough money for Ozzie, and they'd probably just be worried every day that he will up and quit on the organization like he did once before

Edited by soxfan49
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I am pretty sure you can promote Sosa without hiring Ozzie, but I appreciate the ambition.

• Thanks 3
  • Fire 2

23 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I am pretty sure you can promote Sosa without hiring Ozzie, but I appreciate the ambition.

I think the organization and we fans need to get past Ozzie. If any changes are made in the organization, I think the FO should reach outside to make any significant hires. Ozzie should get managing opportunities elsewhere, if they should arise.

• Thanks 4

17 hours ago, chw42 said:

First the Vizquel thing and now this. What is it with our minor league managers? 

Regardless of whatever scandal or controversy existed with Wes Helms, how about the fact Helms isn't a good manager and his record proves it.

In the 2021 season, Charlotte finished with a W-L record of 47-81. They scored 585 runs and gave up 718 runs for a (-133) run differential, which was the worst in their league. This season in 2022, they are off to another bad start with a 16-24 record and -35 run differential.

The offense isn't that bad this year. In their 20 team league, Charlotte is 4th in runs scored and 3rd in BA at .259. What is horrific is their pitching. They are last in runs given up, last in ERA of 5.73, most HR's given up at 66 and tied for last in BA against their pitching at .262. 

Maybe Hahn needs to revaluate all the coaching being done at all four levels, as all four Sox minor league teams are under 500. 

So regardless of why Helms was fired or put on leave doesn't matter. Maybe he isn't cut out to be a manager. I am sure the Sox can find a better manager! For that matter, they better fire the pitching coach too.

The bottom line is; either the Sox suck at drafting and signing international pitchers, or our minor league coaches suck at developing pitchers!

36 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Regardless of whatever scandal or controversy existed with Wes Helms, how about the fact Helms isn't a good manager and his record proves it.

In the 2021 season, Charlotte finished with a W-L record of 47-81. They scored 585 runs and gave up 718 runs for a (-133) run differential, which was the worst in their league. This season in 2022, they are off to another bad start with a 16-24 record and -35 run differential.

The offense isn't that bad this year. In their 20 team league, Charlotte is 4th in runs scored and 3rd in BA at .259. What is horrific is their pitching. They are last in runs given up, last in ERA of 5.73, most HR's given up at 66 and tied for last in BA against their pitching at .262. 

Maybe Hahn needs to revaluate all the coaching being done at all four levels, as all four Sox minor league teams are under 500. 

So regardless of why Helms was fired or put on leave doesn't matter. Maybe he isn't cut out to be a manager. I am sure the Sox can find a better manager! For that matter, they better fire the pitching coach too.

The bottom line is; either the Sox suck at drafting and signing international pitchers, or our minor league coaches suck at developing pitchers!

Or...  he had pretty awful players during his time here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I said a long time ago that I wouldn't want Ozzie managing the White Sox again but Sosa is a top prospect now even though it's a small sample size but an impressive one especially at Birmingham.

I know it's a long shot that he can go through Charlotte and still maintain how he's doing at Birmingham and then in Chicago but what if he could ? It is all rushed that's for sure but if people aren't going to get fired then some drastic player moves are necessary. Harrison isn't any kind of answer. You can always try Yolbert Sanchez 1st and give Sosa and Ozzie together a chance , over the next 2 or 3 months ,to get Sosa ready if Sanchez isn't an immediate answer.

Ozzie wants to manage again and his path back to that could be managing and Charlotte and taking care of a fellow country and imparting his MLB wisdom and fielding expertise . Also there should be more Latin managers and coaches when so many of the players are Spanish speaking.

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Well, for one it wouldn't be enough money for Ozzie, and they'd probably just be worried every day that he will up and quit on the organization like he did once before

That's why I never wanted him to manage the Sox again because of what he did earlier when he quit. But he knows it's highly improbable that he will ever manage and get a big league paycheck without doing something to prove himself worthy of it.

If he truly wants another shot at MLB he should do whatever it takes to get there. A stint as a AAA manager would give him the only chance he might ever get.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Sosa might be the one guy in the minors  who can truly help this team. Right now he is destroying AA but it's his 2nd year there. He's still just 22 and can play all infield positions. Even if you don't want to try him in the OF who better than Ozzie, a fellow Venezuelan, to guide him ? It's an important position to get a top prospect ready and if successful would be a huge feather in Ozzie's cap.

7 hours ago, Highland said:

I think the organization and we fans need to get past Ozzie. If any changes are made in the organization, I think the FO should reach outside to make any significant hires. Ozzie should get managing opportunities elsewhere, if they should arise.

Whenever someone says Ozzie should manage the Sox I'm usually one of the guys who says No WAY ! because of him quitting on the team. That's why I said my thought about him managing Charlotte was odd. Only  under the circumstances that he could help Sosa would I allow him to manage at AAA.

I don't want to see Sosa traded at the deadline. They need a manager at AAA and it should be a Latin guy so I wouldn't have a problem with Ozzie treating Sosa as a special project while managing the team.

5 hours ago, DirtySox said:

This thread sure took a turn for the absurd. Lenyn Sosa seems to be doing quite fine without the assistance of Ozzie Guillen.

LOL it's called thinking outside the box. Even I thought it was strange I thought that. You read Future Sox and participate there as much as anyone and that's great, but you also know he's had some trouble adjusting to a new higher levels. I just want his transition to AAA, when it comes, to go a lot smoother and I thought a fellow country could accomplish that.

I don't find that very absurd. It's certainly better to me than speculating about Helms' misdeeds.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

LOL it's called thinking outside the box. Even I thought it was strange I thought that. You read Future Sox and participate there as much as anyone and that's great, but you also know he's had some trouble adjusting to a new higher levels. I just want his transition to AAA, when it comes, to go a lot smoother and I thought a fellow country could accomplish that.

I don't find that very absurd. It's certainly better to me than speculating about Helms' misdeeds.

The strange thing is that other than Freddy Garcia, we didn't capitalize in any way in terms of creating a Venezuelan connection on the Sox...while Ozzie was manager.

That might have changed had we brought over Miguel Cabrera.  Will never know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Or...  he had pretty awful players during his time here.

That probably is the case for the pitching. According to the offensive numbers though, they were and are pretty good and near the top compared to the rest of the triple A league. The huge problem we all have worried about is the lack of pitching depth in the minors. I do agree the pitchers are awfully bad. I also think we don't develop them as well as other clubs. Additionally, we probably are not drafting pitchers as well either. Keep in mind, our studs Cease, Giolito and Kopech were drafted by other clubs. Lynn was a trade. 

• Like 1