Josh Donaldson called Tim Anderson "Jackie"

Buehrle>Wood

3 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Who's trying to take away anyone's reaction.  Anyone can react by being angered or upset by anything that angers or upsets them.  

That's certainly not how one can interpret a significant number of responses in these threads...

1 minute ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I thought this was about Josh Donaldson mocking Tim Anderson by calling him "Jackie."  That's what I was talking about anyway.  

Calling him Jackie over and over again in the same game.  Not just once.  Once could be a joke, maybe.

That was clearly taunting.

38 minutes ago, Green Line said:

It really doesnt go beyond that.  Its trash talk.

how big of an ego must you have to compare yourself to Jackie Robinson.  Jeez.

I was just thinking.. man, what's an old white man like green line think about what tim anderson feels and thinks about being black in the current mlb game and culture. Surely he's an expert on this topic and understand the context and point better than that tim anderson guy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

I don't know. At one point the two may have legitimately shared a laugh about the Jakie title. I have a feel Donaldson may have been trying to lighten the mood regarding the hard tag last series by calling him Jackie, but it probably didn't come off how he intended. Then he did it again and it probably came off as distasteful, and then just spiraled. Not saying Tim doesn't have a right to take offense at it, but also not saying Donaldson was intending to belittle him with a racist comment either. If you look at the altercation between him and Grandal, it definitely looked like Donaldson wasn't trying to antagonize the situation...looked like he was caught off guard and realized what he said was in poor taste and that he just got himself in a load of shit. He then proceeded to strike out on some hanging sliders, which is uncharacteristic of him.

He's got a reputation of being a dick, but I just think he may have chosen some really poor words to try and rectify a situation. I could be wrong, but that's how I'm piecing it together.

I think Donaldson has always been an asshole and he was being an asshole by calling Tim "Jackie."  But upon hearing that Tim himself said he feels like he's today's Jackie Robinson, it appears that he was just mocking Tim for making that comparison, not because he was using it as some kind of a racial insult.

• Like 3

Look, there is a real chance that Josh Donaldson is trashy enough to not get the ignorance and inherent racism in his statement  to TA.  He seems like the same douchey frat boy personality who uses any of the other slurs. He definitely is the guy who uses things like this to tweek people,  and then play dumb because "he was joking", without understanding what he is really saying. He deserves no benefit of the doubt.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

some of this is comical... so you realize tim was saying he was jackie robinson because he was one of the few african american baseball players?

His comment had everything to do with racial significance - not playing ability.

Donaldson knew exactly what he was doing - its hilarious how he has fooled half this board.

Hasn't fooled them. Half this board is supporting Donaldson for different reasons. True colors on full display tonight. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Fire 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hasn't fooled them. Half this board is supporting Donaldson for different reasons. True colors on full display tonight. 

I went out for a walk and now half of the board is supporting that asshat? I certainly hope that is not accurate.  Say it ain't so, Ray.

I used to watch a lot of games of other teams, and i've seen Donaldson act like a total dick for years . the fact that he's a racist prick, doesn't surprise me in the least . one thing is for sure, it wouldn't take much to clear the benches tomorrow.

Edited by White Sox Park
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I think Donaldson has always been an asshole and he was being an asshole by calling Tim "Jackie."  But upon hearing that Tim himself said he feels like he's today's Jackie Robinson, it appears that he was just mocking Tim for making that comparison, not because he was using it as some kind of a racial insult.

And this I can get behind. And I would completely understand why Tim would take big offense at that comment if that is how he sees himself.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

but anderson's entire point was based on race not playing ability- which donaldson also knew.

In a nutshell. ...

-- Donaldson is lucky he's a Yankee. Might help him considering Yankee fans will have his back completely.

-- Tim as a human being has a right to be upset about whatever he wants. If he was offended baseball and the world has to understand he has the perfect right to be offended. In a perfect reasonable world, Like flavum said, the two should meet tomorrow alone and hash it out (as long as Tim is OK with the meeting and there's no chance the two will brawl). Two good baseball players who apparently have talked to each other a lot on the field in the past should merely meet and talk it out). 

--- My conclusion: If he wasn't a Yankee Donaldson probably would get a HUGE suspension for this, since he admits calling TA "Jackie." No matter the context (SI article) he'd probably get 2 months suspension cause of cancel culture. Because he's a Yankee, I'd say he'll get a week suspension (since he's admitted doing it), maybe two weeks. However if Tim refuses to accept any apology from Donaldson, Donaldson might be suspended a long time. Tim's reaction to what happens tomorrow and ensuing days will probably determine Josh's future in the game. Just my take.

I'd like to hear folks' takes on how long Josh will be suspended.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, White Sox Park said:

I used to watch a lot of games of other teams, and i've see Donaldson act like a total dick for years . the fact that he's a racist prick, doesn't surprise me in the least . one thing is for sure, it wouldn't take much to clear the benches tomorrow.

The Yankees need to not play him tomorrow...I'm sure they are not happy about this distraction with how much of a roll they have been on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

In a nutshell. ...

-- Donaldson is lucky he's a Yankee. Might help him considering Yankee fans will have his back completely.

-- Tim as a human being has a right to be upset about whatever he wants. If he was offended baseball and the world has to understand he has the perfect right to be offended. In a perfect reasonable world, Like flavum said, the two should meet tomorrow alone and hash it out (as long as Tim is OK with the meeting and there's no chance the two will brawl). Two good baseball players who apparently have talked to each other a lot on the field in the past should merely meet and talk it out). 

--- My conclusion: If he wasn't a Yankee Donaldson probably would get a HUGE suspension for this, since he admits calling TA "Jackie." No matter the context (SI article) he'd probably get 2 months suspension cause of cancel culture. Because he's a Yankee, I'd say he'll get a week suspension (since he's admitted doing it), maybe two weeks.

Standing up for wanting to be treated with dignity and respect as a POC is not about cancel culture.

If anything the hidden/insidious cancel culture backlash will try to bury this as quickly as possible and likely no suspension will come of it.

Rob Manfred may or may not advise the Yankees to sit Donaldson tmrw.  It is 100% guaranteed not to turn into another Trevor Bauer hot potato...

How Donaldson reacts to all that noise around him, his teammates' sport or lack thereof, his manager's stance, will all be quite telling.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Please STFU

lol yea

Tim was talking about how there are not many black American baseball players anymore - and how he is trying to bring back interest to young black athletes.

Of course Donaldson knew this and was toeing the line to see what he could get away with- but i think its going to come crashing down on him soon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Standing up for wanting to be treated with dignity and respect as a POC is not about cancel culture.

If anything the hidden/insidious cancel culture backlash will try to bury this as quickly as possible and likely no suspension will come of it.

Rob Manfred may or may not advise the Yankees to sit Donaldson tmrw.  It is 100% guaranteed not to turn into another Trevor Bauer hot potato...

How Donaldson reacts to all that noise around him, his teammates' sport or lack thereof, his manager's stance, will all be quite telling.

"Cancel Culture" is a phrase used by people who don't want to be held responsible for anything they do.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

lol yea

Tim was talking about how there are not many black American baseball players anymore - and how he is trying to bring back interest to young black athletes.

Of course Donaldson knew this and was toeing the line to see what he could get away with- but i think its going to come crashing down on him soon.

Look, if you think that wanting to improve the game for young black males, especially in baseball,  is something worth mocking, that is all you need to know about Josh Donaldson. 

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic