Josh Donaldson called Tim Anderson "Jackie"

Buehrle>Wood

3 minutes ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

Or, it actually could have racist undertones, there's no way for anyone but Josh in his own head to know. Personally, I'm not buying the excuse. 

Agreed fully. I'm not sure why anyone would be giving Josh Donaldson the benefit of the doubt here.

• Like 1
  • Fire 3

18 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Wait, so Anderson told Sports Illustrated that he feels like "today's Jackie Robinson?"  That kind of puts a different context to Donaldson calling him "Jackie."  

Agree and if they joked about in the past it is a different ballgame. Donaldson is a jerk and and an asshole but before people start calling him a racist they better be damn sure that is what he is.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Agree and if they joked about in the past it is a different ballgame. Donaldson is a jerk and and an asshole but before people start calling him a racist they better be damn sure that is what he is.

If they joked about it, why the dramatic "overreaction" then to a misunderstanding between good friends?

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

Now onto the fake apology.

I'd have liked to hear that apology.. but the fact that he had to apologize to his teammates is just proving our point of how bad it looks.

He was also saying it multiple times.... big yikes.

• Like 2

Also, players typically speak with their teammates about all on-field jokes with opposing players, and then publicly go on the record as having discussed it with teammates, right?

• Fire 1

Also, whatever happens / happened, kudos to Yaz for sticking up for TA and bringing this out to the forefront.

Anyone else notice Yaz took his earpiece out (assuming he was mic'd up for something) before chirping at Donaldson?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JoeC said:

For context, here's Donaldson's statement:

manor, lol?

He’ll be heading to the Shady Hills Retirement Manor if Kopech decides to go head hunting.  Don’t think he will do much more than throw behind him and get warned or thrown out.

But at least we have so many off days to rest the pen if Kopech does get tossed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

In all seriousness I would hope that the Yankees clubhouse is addressing this. This goes beyond "us vs. them" on the field.

It really doesnt go beyond that.  Its trash talk.

how big of an ego must you have to compare yourself to Jackie Robinson.  Jeez.

Edited by Green Line
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Green Line said:

It really doesnt go beyond that.  Its trash talk.

how big of an ego must you have to compare yourself to Jackie Robinson.  Jeez.

“He just made a disrespectful comment. He was trying to call me Jackie Robinson, ‘What’s up Jackie?’ ” Anderson, who is Black, said. “I don’t play like that. … That happened the first time he got on, and I let it go that time, and it happened again. It’s just uncalled for.” 

Later, Anderson said: “I’ll never sleep this off.” 

Way to take the wrong side.  He didn't say it comparing himself as a player, but that he was attempting to inspire the next generation of African American ballplayers as one of a diminishing number in the big leagues...same way 75% of Hispanic players today cite inspiration of Clemente on and off the field.

• Fire 1

• bmags locked this topic