Josh Donaldson called Tim Anderson "Jackie"

Buehrle>Wood

Just now, harkness99 said:

I mean you are white and you going to call a black man "Jackie?"

Just think about that for a moment.

It's a little inside joke that one side didn't find funny, as with most inside jokes, apparently

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heads22 said:

It's a little inside joke that one side didn't find funny, as with most inside jokes, apparently

donaldson might have said that before... but I have a hard time Anderson ever thought it was funny.

I have some doubts about the "inside" part of it.

Tim Anderson should call Josh Donaldson "Jake Powell," then claim it's only a joke. He's merely referencing Yankees players who make controversial statements when the Chicago White Sox are in town.

See, jumping through hula hoops is fun!

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

I don't know. At one point the two may have legitimately shared a laugh about the Jackie title.

I have a feeling Donaldson may have been trying to lighten the mood regarding the hard tag last series by calling him Jackie, but it probably didn't come off how he intended. Then he did it again and it probably came off as distasteful, and then just spiraled. Not saying Tim doesn't have a right to take offense at it, but also not saying Donaldson was intending to belittle him with a racist comment either.

If you look at the altercation between him and Grandal, it definitely looked like Donaldson wasn't trying to antagonize the situation...looked like he was caught off guard and realized what he said was in poor taste and that he just got himself in a load of shit. He then proceeded to strike out on some hanging sliders, which is uncharacteristic of him.

He's got a reputation of being a dick, but I just think he may have chosen some really poor words to try and rectify a situation. I could be wrong, but that's how I'm piecing it together.

I think this is a very good assessment.  Has TA commented on whether they joked about this in the past?  As you mentioned it may have been a poor attempt at lightening the mood and moving past the tag incident.  If it's true that Donaldson jokingly called him Jackie in the past and nothing was said at that time why is it racist now but wasn't then?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, brijames1957 said:

You joke around with friends.

I guarantee you TA and Donaldson are not friends.

Donaldson needs to apologize to TA face to face before the game. I would respect that.

Then keep his big mouth shut and play the game.

I agree, whether intended or not it was upsetting to TA.  It won't happen but Donaldson should talk to TA before tomorrow's game and apologize.

• Like 1

People are completely missing the point here. It doesn't matter whether TA comparing himself to Jackie Robinson is fine or ridiculous. As a white person, Josh Donaldson doesn't get any say in the matter. None. Given his history with the Sox, if he thinks anything he says to anyone on that team will be interpreted as a joke then he's an incredibly stupid person. Much more likely he was trying to get under TA's skin. He knows it, TA knows it, everybody knows it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Heads22 said:

Lets make this simple.

If Tim does not appreciate the the comment as a black man then its not ok.  

Keep your opinions to yourself pro tim or or pro Josh ....they don't matter.

"He just made a disrespectful comment," Anderson said. "Basically he was trying to call me Jackie Robinson. 'What's up, Jackie?' I don't play like that. I don't really play at all. I wasn't really going to bother nobody today, but he made the comment and you know it was disrespectful and I don't think it was called for. It was unnecessary."

Full quote.

Now #2 "headline" story at ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33959777/comment-new-york-yankees-josh-donaldson-chicago-white-sox-star-tim-anderson-called-racist

Edited by caulfield12

I just can’t believe he said that…twice in the game. At that point it isn’t a joke…it’s a taunt and not a good one. I am more impressed with Yaz sticking up for TA and as another poster mentioned I hope that it puts an us against the world mentality back with this team. They need an edge. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Lets make this simple.

If Tim does not appreciate the the comment as a black man then its not ok.  

Keep your opinions to yourself pro tim or or pro Josh ....they don't matter.

Well, your opinion obviously is in favor of whatever Tim feels, so I'm not sure how you have the right to tell others their opinions don't matter when you clearly have an opinion on the matter.

And to be clear, I am not "pro-Josh" if this comment makes it seem like I am.

• Like 2

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCSWhiteSox/status/1528119995112296448?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1528119995112296448|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fyankees-white-sox-benches-clear-after-josh-donaldson-calls-tim-anderson-jackie-robinson-223254927.html

Can someone get this to embed?

"I don't know what's changed — and I've said it to him in year's past. Not in any manner than just joking around for the fact that he called himself Jackie Robinson. If something has changed from that, my meaning of that — has not any term trying to be racist by any fact of the matter. It was just off of an interview of what he called himself.

https://sports.yahoo.com/yankees-white-sox-benches-clear-after-josh-donaldson-calls-tim-anderson-jackie-robinson-223254927.html

It's obviously different bringing it up in a joking manner in pre-game...like rolling your eyes and saying now you're comparing yourself to Jackie Robinson when the two time periods are so different (or making fun of Pete Rose 3000 hits Madrigal). 

Compared to relentless taunting in game, "Jackie" comes across in the same way boy or the N-word would because it's another version of a code word...no different than "Let's Go Brandon!" Is that also a joke, or simply a way to disrespect someone without crossing some kind of societal etiquette line of seeming "inside joke" politeness?  Two sides of the same coin.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

I just can’t believe he said that…twice in the game. At that point it isn’t a joke…it’s a taunt and not a good one. I am more impressed with Yaz sticking up for TA and as another poster mentioned I hope that it puts an us against the world mentality back with this team. They need an edge. 

I don't think Donaldson has a good barometer for discernment and appropriateness....

Just now, ScooterMcGuire said:

I don't think Donaldson has a good barometer for discernment and appropriateness....

Fair point. He has a sense of entitlement that just infuriates me. He is like a kid that has no idea what he says has any effect on anyone else. 

I was at the game today.   A lot of people were wondering what had transpired.  To be quite honest, I think a lot of the opposing white fan's hostility towards TA boils down to deep seeded racism and they see what he is trying to bring to the game as encroaching on a white man's game.

Three years ago, a cop stopped me while I was in the subway because I was wearing a White Sox hat and asked me what the deal was with Tim Anderson.  He apparently used to work for MLB and started going on a rant about how he shouldn't be bat flipping and was messing up the game.  Halfway through it became pretty obvious what his problem with TA was.  A lot of the Yankees fans were booing TA when he came to bat.  I get he has destroyed the Yankees in the past but I also think that impulse comes out when some people boo him.

As far as the Robinson quote goes, in context it makes complete sense.  Also, keep in mind he was one of the first notable Major League players to start speaking out in support of Black Lives Matter and on social justice issues.  In many ways, he has been a trailblazer in today's game.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• bmags locked this topic