Best Starting Rotation in MLB

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

…when healthy…

I’ll take Lynn/Giolito/Kopech/Cease/Cueto over any other starting 5 in MLB this season. Who’s better?

Easily  top 5, and the lone reason why they will stay in the race to the end despite the offensive outage. 

• Like 1

If Lynn comes back and is the guy who abused the multiple teams and became a Jomboy mainstay, this rotation is so much better.  Giolito and Cease have shown they are truly top of the rotation guys.  Kopech is quickly demonstrating that he's an ace.  Cueto has been about as good as we could have expected.  If he can even go out every 5th game and give us 5-6 innings and give up less than 3 runs each time, he's a perfect #5 starter.

If they all pitch to their potential, they're in the top 3 in baseball.  If they all pitch well every time but are still human, they're still in the top 5-6 in baseball.  Oh, and they need to stay healthy.

21 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Brewers.  Eric Lauer would be the Sox best starter, and he's the Brewers #4.

As far as ERA's, Lauer 2.16 and Burnes 2.26 are solid. However Ashby - 3.49, Houser - 4.50 and Woodruff - 4.76 are not as strong collectively as our starting 5 rotation:

Kopech - 1.29

Giolito - 2.84

Cease - 3.09

Cueto - 0.00

Lynn - ? no ERA yet

BTW, Lauer would not be the best starter on the Sox! 

11 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Why are we still listing Lynn first? We've seen enough so far this year to say that Cease and Kopech are the top two starters in some order.

Honestly a nice problem to have.

If healthy, a rock solid 1~4, albeit with significant restrictions on the workload of one of those four (Kopech).

Hoping that between Keuchel's impending demotion to the bullpen (at least part-time) and VV / ReyLo being able to be used as heavy-workload swingmen, we would be able to manage Kopech's workload down the stretch.

12 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Why are we still listing Lynn first? We've seen enough so far this year to say that Cease and Kopech are the top two starters in some order.

None of us have any idea as to what Lynn is going to be when he returns. Lance may very well go all Cy Lynn, but right now he is a question mark going into the remainder of the season.

...and by "a nice problem to have," I mean "being able to demote a Cy Young vote recipient from the #1 spot in the rotation to #3 ~ #4 because other guys just got way better presumably without the original guy regressing" is a nice "problem" to have.

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

Honestly a nice problem to have.

If healthy, a rock solid 1~4, albeit with significant restrictions on the workload of one of those four (Kopech).

Hoping that between Keuchel's impending demotion to the bullpen (at least part-time) and VV / ReyLo being able to be used as heavy-workload swingmen, we would be able to manage Kopech's workload down the stretch.

ReyLo has become a pretty good 1-inning bullpen guy and I don't think he's in the mix to shift back to a heavier workload.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Lynn < Burnes

Giolito > Woodruff

Cease > Peralta

Kopech > Lauer

Cueto < Houser

I’d give the Sox a slight edge over the Brew Crew

The days of Lynn being the Sox #1 are over and gone.  Woodruff has been uncharacteristically awful so far so that’s a bit of a tossup based on two months of 2022 or the last 2-3 years cumulatively. 

Lauer wasn’t able to hold his spot in SD at the back end of that rotation and was traded.  Doesn’t have dominant stuff but can be a Greg Hibbard type for them.

39 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

If Lynn comes back and is the guy who abused the multiple teams and became a Jomboy mainstay, this rotation is so much better.  Giolito and Cease have shown they are truly top of the rotation guys.  Kopech is quickly demonstrating that he's an ace.  Cueto has been about as good as we could have expected.  If he can even go out every 5th game and give us 5-6 innings and give up less than 3 runs each time, he's a perfect #5 starter.

If they all pitch to their potential, they're in the top 3 in baseball.  If they all pitch well every time but are still human, they're still in the top 5-6 in baseball.  Oh, and they need to stay healthy.

What’s a Jomboy?

https://sportsnaut.com/mlb-rotation-rankings-best-starting-pitchers/
Have to push the Mets down with top two out and Bassitt temporarily #1.

Dodgers and Brewers are obviously up there.  SFG when everyone is healthy.  Marlins are rapidly ascending.

Somehow teams like the Rays and Braves keep producing arms.

Statistically the A’s have been really really good, too.

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-mlb-rotations-2022

Preseason the Sox were #4.  And I still think we need to look at 5-6 Cueto starts before drawing any firm conclusions.  Keuchel and VV will obviously drag them down.

Edited by caulfield12

Lynn isn't even healthy yet, Cueto might just be smoke & mirrors, Cease looks incredible but he doesn't exactly have a long track record of these high level results, and Kopech while also looking incredible last night still has innings limitations to worry about.  In this fraction of an instant they look like a top rotation on paper, but there are too many caveats and variables to declare them the best rotation going.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Lynn isn't even healthy yet, Cueto might just be smoke & mirrors, Cease looks incredible but he doesn't exactly have a long track record of these high level results, and Kopech while also looking incredible last night still has innings limitations to worry about.  In this fraction of an instant they look like a top rotation on paper, but there are too many caveats and variables to declare them the best rotation going.  

While I don't disagree with your entire premise, the Cease point is just wrong in my opinion. Cease has found command and learned to repeat his delivery. This guy is here to stay. His peripherals are actually better than his production. The guy is elite; barring a health set-back, I have no reservations there.

Cueto could be smoke and mirrors although his velocity has been pretty shocking. 

Every rotation in baseball could have these pessimistic outlooks for guys; heck, the Brewers who were brought up in this thread have Lauer with one good month, Peralta who has been up and down and has durability concerns with innings growth, and Houser is just a guy; nothing to write home about.

I think the Sox have a very good argument for best rotation in baseball; they had one last year and with Kopech sliding in for Rodon there hasn't been much of a step backwards despite Lynn being out.

9 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Cueto is probably cheatin’ somehow, they just havent figured it out yet.  His ball was moving weird.  Plus in his first game back, the Ump going up to the mound to have a convo with him was very suspicious.

My only possibly "cheating" thought with Cueto would be PED's; his Velo is higher than it's been in 6 years.

25 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://sportsnaut.com/mlb-rotation-rankings-best-starting-pitchers/
Have to push the Mets down with top two out and Bassitt temporarily #1.

Dodgers and Brewers are obviously up there.  SFG when everyone is healthy.  Marlins are rapidly ascending.

Somehow teams like the Rays and Braves keep producing arms.

Statistically the A’s have been really really good, too.

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-mlb-rotations-2022

Preseason the Sox were #4.  And I still think we need to look at 5-6 Cueto starts before drawing any firm conclusions.  Keuchel and VV will obviously drag them down.

The Dodgers are up there? With Kershaw and Heaney (who stinks) on the IL, the Dodgers don't even have 5 starters on their big league roster right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

My only possibly "cheating" thought with Cueto would be PED's; his Velo is higher than it's been in 6 years.

I must say I really DGAF if he is on some PEDs. Other teams have cheated in an organized fashion, gotten caught and had nothing of any consequence happen. So if Chicago has a "hear no evil see no evil" policy on Cueto's training I really do not care.