Best Starting Rotation in MLB

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

Fatigue recovery can lead to longer sustained velocity (less velocity reduction over the season), no?

I'm quite curious about these sorts of topics (they've always intrigued me), so if you have any sort of formal expertise I'd love to learn more.

2 hours ago, kleedawg said:

You guys realize that "flintstone" vitamins generally don't help pitchers throw harder? they help pitchers recover faster from their previous starts. 

Hitters now, increase power.

The strain of throwing hard is primarily placed on tendons, ligaments, and smaller muscles which is why arm injuries are prevalent. The bicep muscle is mostly relaxed (not being flexed) during a throw. 

Of course they help you throw harder. They build muscle mass and allow you to work out with greater frequency by increasing your recovery time dramatically. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

I am totally against any and all insinuations about a fine upstanding citizen like Johnny Cueto....for shame.

Now if you want to talk about all those pricks juicing up in Minnesota a couple of seasons ago, fine.  But leave Johnny alone....unless he starts to suck,,,then go ahead.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

21 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Of course they help you throw harder. They build muscle mass and allow you to work out with greater frequency by increasing your recovery time dramatically. 

Did you read what I said. Throwing is primarily controlled by ligaments and tendons. Some SMALL muscle groups. The big muscle groups that benefit from steroids are relaxed when throwing. Muscles can only do 2 things relax and contract. 

This is why most pitching injuries are the UCL (ulnar colateral ligament) and bicep tendon (which is often associated with torn labrum). Extremely rare to have a bicep or tricep tear in  a pitcher. If anything, steroids are detrimental to connective tissue like ligaments and tendons. Pitchers use ped's to recover quicker from outings.

If there is somewhere on youtube a video about mike marshall speaking about the screwball he taught and kinesiology behind it, i'd suggest watching it. He developed a weird looking way of throwing that actually puts the strain on the tricep and back muscles witch can take far more strain than the conventional way to pitch.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So it's down to Keuchel or VV...assuming Cueto doesn't fall apart before mid June.  But they still haven't presented the plan for protecting Kopech.  Or even hinted at it.

They actually have if you are paying attention.  They have been pushing him back a day or two as the rotation and days off allow it.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They actually have if you are paying attention.  They have been pushing him back a day or two as the rotation and days off allow it.

That still won't be enough to limit him to the 135-140ish IP range.

And having four off days (one a rainout) in a week and a half isn't going to happen again.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:41 AM, JoeC said:

Fatigue recovery can lead to longer sustained velocity (less velocity reduction over the season), no?

I'm quite curious about these sorts of topics (they've always intrigued me), so if you have any sort of formal expertise I'd love to learn more.

Yes, recovering from fatigue is what you do to increase strength and endurance. That's what the vast majority of working out is.

15 hours ago, kleedawg said:

Did you read what I said. Throwing is primarily controlled by ligaments and tendons. Some SMALL muscle groups. The big muscle groups that benefit from steroids are relaxed when throwing. Muscles can only do 2 things relax and contract. 

This is why most pitching injuries are the UCL (ulnar colateral ligament) and bicep tendon (which is often associated with torn labrum). Extremely rare to have a bicep or tricep tear in  a pitcher. If anything, steroids are detrimental to connective tissue like ligaments and tendons. Pitchers use ped's to recover quicker from outings.

If there is somewhere on youtube a video about mike marshall speaking about the screwball he taught and kinesiology behind it, i'd suggest watching it. He developed a weird looking way of throwing that actually puts the strain on the tricep and back muscles witch can take far more strain than the conventional way to pitch.

Throwing is all acceleration and deceleration of body segments. Most of the acceleration is from the legs and trunk as the force of the large muscle is transmitted up the kinematic chain to the arm.

You are correct the arm just controls the ball for the most part. The UCL comes under stress because the force of the acceleration is greater than the tensile strength of ligament when the ligament is put under undue stress from being in a poor mechanical position. 

8 hours ago, ptatc said:

Yes, recovering from fatigue is what you do to increase strength and endurance. That's what the vast majority of working out is.

Yes - I am aware… however, you state that steroids are used for recovery (not increasing strength, and therefore velocity) in the case of pitchers. Former gym rat myself (now just a runner because I’m lazy)

I guess my questions are:

1. Would “not losing velocity” not count as an increase of sorts?

2. Wouldn’t you be able to increase velocity through all of the other forces that would be able to increase (leg / core strength, etc.)?