Josh Donaldson suspended 1 game for comments toward TA

Buehrle>Wood

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

What is even more telling is NO ONE from NYY is defending him.  Bro is out on an island, alone.  Even Boone dumped on him.

Was it really some big secret that he’s a jerk off the field....nope

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

What is even more telling is NO ONE from NYY is defending him.  Bro is out on an island, alone.  Even Boone dumped on him.

Wonder what Aaron Judge thinks. 

48 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eh, not sure we need to really comment on this publicly. If TA wants to fine but coaches especially should be seen not heard.

I think they know that Tim isn't going to say anything and isn't going to push for a suspension, especially not publically. I view this as them speaking for him while allowing him to stay quiet. 

7 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Would have liked to see MLB show some backbone and hit him with 5 games to show they actually give a shit.  But this is MLB after all.

Like it or not they have to factor in what an arbitrator might say when they review the suspension. If they over-do it and there's no historic precedent for a suspension that long for an action like this, the arbitrator might throw the suspension out entirely.

https://theathletic.com/3326410/2022/05/21/white-sox-yankees-tim-anderson-josh-donaldson/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

https://sports.yahoo.com/tim-anderson-never-asked-for-josh-donaldson-yankees-jackie-comment-but-he-always-answers-155216114.html

This is the most well-written response to the whole situation so far.

"Reveling in the moment with teammates, a hot ESPN field microphone captured him yelling, “Making motherf*****s shut the f*** up." And then he declined to say more about it after the game.

Perhaps that is an answer no one can misunderstand."

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Like it or not they have to factor in what an arbitrator might say when they review the suspension. If they over-do it and there's no historic precedent for a suspension that long for an action like this, the arbitrator might throw the suspension out entirely.

I guess a two game suspension knocked down to one would look bad for baseball...but if they don't make him serve that one, MLB under Manfred is a complete and utter joke. 

Might as well just cancel Jackie Robinson Day itself if they choose to take that course of action.

38 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think they know that Tim isn't going to say anything and isn't going to push for a suspension, especially not publically. I view this as them speaking for him while allowing him to stay quiet. 

Yep, because the that's also racism crowd is just begging for things to turn into the next ridiculous non sequitor.

12 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

This “punishment“ is a freaking joke. 

MLB could have shown that racial discrimination is not tolerated, but talk is cheap and it’s easier to pay lip service to a cause than actually sending a message.

I'm glad they are least suspended him. I wasn't sure they would. At bare minimum, Josh Donaldson's comment was douchey and you have to be a dope to not see the racial undertones behind it or how a black player could take offense to it. I think Donaldson is that douchey dope. He's so fixated on being a dickhead that he tried getting under TA's skin, but didn't even realize how it could be received or the blowback he would get. 

Edited by ron883

6 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Dunno if people heard Keuchel's inside drop about why Donaldson was traded from the Twins.  It was on the White Sox Talk Podcast.  It's revealing

What episode?

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

What episode?

Most recent.  He basically outed Donaldson as someone who has had issues with teammates of color in the past.  It wasn't on the record but Garfien said he told them that he heard that the reason he was traded was because how badly he got along with his latino teammates in Minnesota.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Most recent.  He basically outed Donaldson as someone who has had issues with teammates of color in the past.  It wasn't on the record but Garfien said he told them that he heard that the reason he was traded was because how badly he got along with his latino teammates in Minnesota.

One of many cases of addition by subtraction if you look at all the payroll space it created...they were able to add Correa for at least one season.

20 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Very interesting find. 

For some reason, it seems like Dallas Keuchel loves to provide extra commentary to the press. 

I don't think where you grow up always defines you as a person, but Donaldson grew up in northern Florida and went to school in Alabama. He has a history of being an asshat. And now we're getting rumors that he didn't get along with latino players? I'm sorry, but he really doesn't get the benefit of the doubt for his Jackie comment. Those things all kind of add up. 

Just now, chw42 said:

Very interesting find. 

For some reason, it seems like Dallas Keuchel loves to provide extra commentary to the press. 

I don't think where you grow up always defines you as a person, but Donaldson grew up in northern Florida and went to school in Alabama. He has a history of being an asshat. And now we're getting rumors that he didn't get along with latino players? I'm sorry, but he really doesn't get the benefit of the doubt for his Jackie comment. Those things all kind of add up. 

Now you've done it.

Haven't Frank Thomas or Bo Jackson stood up for their former War Eagle/Auburn Tigers alumni?

"The White Sox Amateur City Elite (ACE) program provides a pathway to the game of baseball for more than 150 youth annually, while offering educational and mentorship programming aimed at pulling kids away from the dangers and potentially fatal distractions of Chicago’s violent neighborhoods.

In 2007, recognizing the lack of opportunities for young people of color to get involved in the sport, the White Sox established the ACE program with three main objectives:

1. Gain exposure for young ballplayers in Chicago’s under-served communities among college recruiters and scouts.
  2. Reverse the declining interest and participation in baseball among African Americans.
  3. Create a program that prepares each participant to succeed in life beyond the diamond."

Tim has been a big supporter of ACE and has mentored players including the Cubs Ed Howard because he shares the  goals of the ACE program.

Any comments that malign Tim's efforts in that regard  look like part of an Ultra-MAGA agenda.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

• Texsox locked this topic