Sox Minor League Pitchers

Jim Fainter

Does anyone know the Sox plans for pitcher Jason Strum? I know we drafted him # 1 out of high school a few years ago and that he had arm surgery. He had decent stats last year in Class A as a reliever (22 games, 2.25 ERA, 40 innings, 45 K's), got hit really hard in one inning in an exhibition game against the Rockies last summer, but I have not heard anything from the Sox in over a year about this kid. He will probably be exposed to a minor league draft after this season if he is not moved up.

Stumm pitched pretty good this past season for the Sox. He has the potential to be a heck of a reliever. This will be a huge season for him, and he could of been claimed in the rule 5 draft, but no one claimed him. I don't know if he becomes a free agent next year or anything like that. I'm sure he'll be exposed again next year, so he's going to have to do big things. This is his 2nd year back from surgery so it will be a huge year for him. I'd expect him to start the season in A ball, although he could go straight to AA. Either way, if he's pitching real good, look for him to move through the lower levels fast.

He was one of the guys we acquired during the trade deadline and I think we got him in the Kenny Lofton deal along with Felix Diaz, but don't quote me on that.

He's a solid closer, but he's too old to be pitching at A ball. Still, don't count him out, but don't expect huge things from him either. He's got to get to better levels and continue to pitch well.

Thanks for the info on Meaux.

Now what is the word on Edwin Almonte? I know I look stupid in asking, but whose roster is he on right now?  I am having trouble tracking him on the MLB site.

Almonte is a AAAer but some thing he may just make the bullpen out of spring training, especially if the Sox go with an 11 man staff, and keep Ritchie and Rauch as their starters. If they pick up another starter, he'll likely start off in AAA.

His best pitch is a changeup and many compare him to Keith Foulke. He's put up unbelievable numbers in the minors at both AA and AAA. What you have to remember is, the Sox AAA park (Where the Knights Play) is a hitters paradise and he's still put up really good numbers.

Almonte is a AAAer ...  What you have to remember is, the Sox AAA park (Where the Knights Play) is a hitters paradise and he's still put up really good numbers.

For some reason I found his stats on the WS MLB site, but not his name on the roster, and as I ame asily confused, that befuddled me. That is why I was wondering if he is on an AA roster or maybe the WS 40-player roster. Or elsewhere.

His stats look phenominal, especially as you, in the park he pitched half his games in. I would love to see this guy continue those stats in a WS uniform.

Thanks for your help on these things - a person could ask a question for months on the WS MLB boards and never get an answer.

No problem. We'll have minor league coverage back up on Soxnet.net as the minor league season approaches. We started doing it late last year and it should only get better.

I think we have a small writeup on him somewhere on the site, when we did our top 25 prospect list.

Guest hotsoxchick1

almonte was added to our 40 man i know that much.. but im sure he will start out in aaa this year... lord knows hes been in aa long enough...........

almonte was added to our 40 man i know that much.. but im sure he will start out in aaa this year... lord knows hes been in aa long enough...........

Almonte was in AAA last year. He did exceptional in AA two years ago, set the save record (Valentine then broke it last year) and Almonte moved to AAA last season where he excelled.

This would be his 2nd year in AAA. He is definately going to get a shot at making the bullpen this year, and if their are any injuries, he'll likely be the first one called up.

Guest hotsoxchick1

your right.. he was in aaa last year but he did start off the seaosn in aa as i recall.... or are my years that far off lately geez each day runs into the other and before you know it a year has passed.....lol.... its hell getting old.....

Guest hotsoxchick1

well almonte would have been my second choice behind valentine.. but since hes gone now i guess he will have to be bumped up to first choice there cw.... lets hope he can rock in spring...........

Guest hotsoxchick1

well hes half one of ours.....im not sure what the other half is but his features are definately mostly ours.....pisan............ :D

Does anyone know the Sox plans for pitcher Jason Strum?  I know we drafted him # 1 out of high school a few years ago and that he had arm surgery.  He had decent stats last year in Class A as a reliever (22 games, 2.25 ERA, 40 innings, 45 K's), got hit really hard in one inning in an exhibition game against the Rockies last summer, but I have not heard anything from the Sox in over a year about this kid.  He will probably be exposed to a minor league draft after this season if he is not moved up.

i posted this a little while ago. but i think i have my facts straight. he reinjured himself toward the end of last season and have shoulder surgery. his first surgery, i believe was on his elbow. prob is he throw too damn hard for his body. just like lorceno barcelo(sp). even after surgery his fastball started to to 95+ again. great stuff, but may be another barcelo. i am still a fan of his and hopes he can recover.

Guest hotsoxchick1
well almonte would have been my second choice behind valentine.. but since hes gone now i guess he will have to be bumped up to first choice there cw.... lets hope he can rock in spring...........

Almonte's better than Valentine.

how do you figure????? they are both about the same but, valentine has a bit more control over what he does on the mound where as almonte has yet to learn how not to let his temper get the best of him.............

Almonte's better than Valentine.

how do you figure????? they are both about the same but, valentine has a bit more control over what he does on the mound where as almonte has yet to learn how not to let his temper get the best of him.............

From what I've always heard, Almonte was the better control pitcher, while Valentine could somewhat lose it.

I know one thing, Almonte and Valentine aren't similar pitchers. Valentine is a power pitcher, while Almonte's bread and butter is the changeup, hence the comparisons to Foulke.

ALMONTE, 2001: 54 G, 1-4, 1.49, 36 Sv, 66.1 IP, 58 H, 16 R, 11 ER, 16 BB, 62 K

VALENTINE, 2002: 55 G, 4-1, 1.97, 36 Sv, 59.1, 36 H, 16 R, 13 ER, 30 BB, 63 K

They're numbers from their season's in Birmingham were pretty much the same, except the fact that Ed walked about 1/2 the people Valentine did. Ask Keith Foulke, the biggest problem a soft-tossing reliever (Foulke, Almonte) can get himself into is when you walk people.

Maybe one day Valentine will be a better pitcher (though, I doubt he'll be much to rave about), but there's no question Almonte (who walked only 12 batters last year, too... and put up an ERA around 2 in Charlotte's hitter's park) is much more MLB ready than Joe.