Should the sox use kopech and VV as a tandem?

Dominikk85

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Actually it's not important whether the pitchers like it or not, if it will produce a World Series championship, I think they would all be onboard with it. Furthermore, the fact a 6 man rotation in MLB doesn't work is for one reason only, which is most teams, actually probably all teams, do not have 6 quality starters. The Sox are unique here. 

Kopech in particular is not gonna like it one bit. I think it matters because he is finally online, and it took so long to get him to this point where he is in a comfort zone.  If it aint broke…..

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Actually it's not important whether the pitchers like it or not, if it will produce a World Series championship, I think they would all be onboard with it. Furthermore, the fact a 6 man rotation in MLB doesn't work is for one reason only, which is most teams, actually probably all teams, do not have 6 quality starters. The Sox are unique here. 

It's very important.  Pitchers have to be comfortable with it, otherwise they will not pitch well and they will not get to the WS. There is a mental part to pitching that you can't ignore.

If they work on it in the off season and are prepared for it, that's one thing. To change it all in the middle of a season with high expectations is another.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Kopech in particular is not gonna like it one bit. I think it matters because he is finally online, and it took so long to get him to this point where he is in a comfort zone.  If it aint broke…..

He knows he needs to have a limit on his innings. He should have input on how it's done.  Not the only say nor even thefinal say but input.

If they use them as a tandem, I wouldn't let Velasquez start. If Velasquez bombs in the first few innings, it more or less makes Kopech pitching pointless. Plus, you'd be messing with Kopech's routine as a starter and turning him into a glorified long reliever (which is what he was last year and he wasn't real good at it in the 2nd half). 

I think an acceptable way of having them work as a tandem is to let Kopech go 4-5 innings, but not go more than 75-80 pitches and let Velasquez pitch the middle 2 innings depending on what part of the order is up. Of course, this would have to be later on in the season as the Sox try to manage Kopech's innings. Once Lynn gets back, I think it's something the team could start to think about. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Once Lynn comes back,

What is the latest on his return? I haven’t been keeping up as crackhead like as in years past… saw he was with the club and throwing to hitters…

But haven’t heard any projected return timeline… anyone know?

24 minutes ago, hi8is said:

What is the latest on his return? I haven’t been keeping up as crackhead like as in years past… saw he was with the club and throwing to hitters…

But haven’t heard any projected return timeline… anyone know?

Last published was early June. 

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I thought the last I heard was he had a pen session, was going to do one more, then if it went well, he would go to the minors for rehab assignment.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I thought the last I heard was he had a pen session, was going to do one more, then if it went well, he would go to the minors for rehab assignment.

Correct. I thought they said they estimated June to return to the MLB.

• Fire 1