Moncada + Grandal

WBWSF

On 5/25/2022 at 7:23 AM, KrankinSox said:

It's a fair point but there always seems to be an excuse for Moncada. He has a nice floor in terms of WAR because of his defense and ability to draw walks. But he is just not a consistent hitter, he doesn't have consistent power production, and has a career 28 stolen bases for a guy that was supposed to be a base stealer based on his ability to do it in the minors.

Moncada has had an underwhelming career compared to his expectations. it's a shame we didn't manage to land Devers/Kopech from Boston for Sale.

That happens with a lot of players/organizations.  The Sox had plenty of those.

Had an epiphany that Yaz's offensive numbers kinda look like someone who knew what was coming... and now he suddenly doesn't.  

Wonder if opponents finally just put him on random and he is still trying to be a guess hitter, or if he lost an edge?

17 hours ago, Heads22 said:

I’m the biggest Moncada fan girl around these parts and even I’m losing hope/faith that we’ll see his 2019 form again.  Or that his physique ever allows him to play the game regularly w/o an ache or tweak keeping him out for extended periods. 

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I’m the biggest Moncada fan girl around these parts and even I’m losing hope/faith that we’ll see his 2019 form again.  Or that his physique ever allows him to play the game regularly w/o an ache or tweak keeping him out for extended periods. 

If he's the guy he was last year it's fine, really. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Also, you can't really blame Hahn for the Eloy and Moncada deals. At the time they were signed, you sign those 10/10 times. It's on the players that neither are working out and it sucks. 

Yes and no. Only the team really knows their work ethic and character. 

They have to decide whether someone will waste or fulfill their potential.

But sure, it would have been easier to say 2-3 years ago that not signing Eloy...you risked losing the next David Ortiz or JD Martinez.

We're at the point now where Grandal should never be in the lineup at 1B/DH, and when he's catching he needs to occupy the same spot in the order as McGuire.

McGuire has a better OPS in the last 30 days (685 vs 483)  and last 15 days (1079 vs 353) by a large amount.

Burger is doing well enough that Moncada can DH until he's absolutely 100%.

On 5/29/2022 at 10:43 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Cub fan talking shit. Pnoles defending the Grandal contract. I agree with pnoles. 

Grandal was a good move, we were all excited for it, and we knew the last year of his contract would still be bad. It came a year early, but it is what it is. 

Grandal at a .489 ops.

Lowest of ALL 165 qualified MLB players.

A full 24 points behind #164, Avisail Garcia of the Marlins.

#161 Marcus Semien at a robust .540 comparatively.

Remember when Brian Anderson’s 575-625 was not enough to hold down CF in 2008?  Playing near Gold Glove defense?

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Grandal at a .489 ops.

Lowest of ALL 165 qualified MLB players.

A full 24 points behind #164, Avisail Garcia of the Marlins.

#161 Marcus Semien at a robust .540 comparatively.

Remember when Brian Anderson’s 575-625 was not enough to hold down CF in 2008?  Playing near Gold Glove defense?

He has always been a guess hitter.  Taking all the way very often.  

It is almost like sometimes he had the answers to the test, and now he definitely doesn't.  

I realize that Grandal has always taken alot of pitches but the thing I've noticed this year is that he is taking called strikes. And those strikes are right down the middle. Today in the first inning  he took 2 strikes  right in the middle of the plate. Is this an indication that he's through as a hitter? The team can't  keep  putting him out there  where he stands watching strikes go by when he's hitting.  I realize at this stage  the team doesn't have many options behind the plate but if he keeps this up the White Sox have to find a new catcher for the 2023 season.

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I realize that Grandal has always taken alot of pitches but the thing I've noticed this year is that he is taking called strikes. And those strikes are right down the middle. Today in the first inning  he took 2 strikes  right in the middle of the plate. Is this an indication that he's through as a hitter? The team can't  keep  putting him out there  where he stands watching strikes go by when he's hitting.  I realize at this stage  the team doesn't have many options behind the plate but if he keeps this up the White Sox have to find a new catcher for the 2023 season.

In the first, Grandal took a 3-2 pitch for strike three with the bases loaded. Now, the pitch was a slider and he may have been looking for a fast ball. But he fumed about the call. Fact remains it was close enough for him to take a swing at in that situation. Is there any reason an ump should give the benefit of the doubt to a hitter with an average under .200? Grandal should have been looking to make a big play. Instead, he looked for a walk. He has hit one homer since the opening series against the Tigers. He is contributing nothing right now.

This complete lack of production from Moncada and Grandal would be disastrous enough, under any circumstances. However, in that they represent the two left handed bats (switch hitters) that might have helped balance the lineup, their failure to produce has left the organization with one of the worst offenses in baseball. That magnifies the front office's misguided strategy, this last off season.  Almost all of us recognized the need to acquire better balance in the lineup. Even Hahn acknowledged that need. Nevertheless, they did nothing to address the problem. This is a failure of huge proportions and coupled with all of the injuries, this season is fast becoming a lost cause. 

Edited by Lillian

On 5/25/2022 at 9:25 AM, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox original ask was Moncada, Kopech and Devers.  Boston talked them into a couple of tier 2 players instead of Devers to get the deal done.

When I heard these details on the original trade, my respect for Hahn has gone done considerably, especially with his other botched recent trades. Chis Sale at the time was arguably one of the best pitchers in baseball; a lefty on an extremely low and friendly locked contract. Shame on Hahn for not negotiating more aggressively to get Devers and two other quality prospects. 

41 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

When I heard these details on the original trade, my respect for Hahn has gone done considerably, especially with his other botched recent trades. Chis Sale at the time was arguably one of the best pitchers in baseball; a lefty on an extremely low and friendly locked contract. Shame on Hahn for not negotiating more aggressively to get Devers and two other quality prospects. 

Sox did more than fine on the Sale trade. 

• Like 1