Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chimpton

When did we take the wrong turn?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'll tell you exactly what the problem was: they couldn't leave well enough alone. Going into 2021 they were *set*. They had invested in great young talent, locked much of it up for future seasons, and that talent had arrived. They were ahead of the field and didn't need to do a freaking thing. All they needed to do was integrate the talent, get it on the field, and leave it there to cohere into whatever is was destined to become - and only *then* consider how to augment and fine tune it. They never gave that a chance to happen. When other teams made high profile acquisitions at the trade deadline the Sox just had make their own noise and that core never got a chance to really play together - a problem which was then exacerbated by the injuries and the decision to mix and match lineups both during the time they were shorthanded and after. The dream team never happened. It never had a chance.

Edited by SpringfieldFan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think part of it has to be Wheeler turning down our bigger offer and turning to sign Keuchel instead. Dallas gave us about 60 great innings and 80 decent innings before he completely crapped out. Wasting $18 million a year on a pitcher with a ERA around 7 isn't exactly a good use of resources when the team refuses to go into the luxury tax. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

And I know that you'll agree on this, but they blew it with Crochet. 

Oh yeah they F'd that one up good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first mistake we made was not going all in on Bryce Harper after we missed out on Machado.  I will never for the life of me understand the thinking there and that miss continues to haunt us to this day with a struggling RH heavy offense.

The next miss was Wheeler as having him instead of Keuchel would be a compete game changer for the franchise.  Can’t really blame Hahn for that one, but sucks nonetheless.

Hiring La Russa was the next major mistake and its impact is hard to quantify.  His in-game decision-making has been terrible and the team seems to be underperforming well beyond  what any of us could have predicted.  How much of that is on Tony is up for debate, but I’d argue his lack of energy is playing some role in it.

Finally, Hahn had an epically bad offseason with multiple questionable decisions.  No idea what his plan was coming out of the lockout, but refusing to add a single impact player to the core and instead dumpster diving at multiple spots has cost us dearly.  And resigning Leury for three years when there was zero chance the market would have bared such a contract is one of the most mine-boggling decisions in recent memory.  Perhaps Tony had a role there, but it was shockingly bad signing the moment announced even if the primary reason of our struggles this year.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Having 0 funds in our minors isnt helping either. Every team loses players to FA or injuries, but they have guys coming up that fill in nicely. Look at the Twins and Astros. See who replaced Correa, he has the best numbers in the league right now.

With an above average farm we could have had 2 or 3 guys fill in on the cheap and make a big impact. Instead we send our future first baseman out to right field and hope he can catch the ball because theres no other option.

All in all: Its not 1 thing, its multiple facets that all point to the FO. 

Edited by reiks12
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Having 0 funds in our minors isnt helping either. Every team loses players to FA or injuries, but they have guys coming up that fill in nicely. Look at the Twins and Astros. See who replaced Correa, he has the best numbers in the league right now.

With an above average farm we could have had 2 or 3 guys fill in on the cheap and make a big impact. Instead we send our future first baseman out to right field and hope he can catch the ball because theres no other option.

All in all: Its not 1 thing, its multiple facets that all point to the FO. 

Speaking of the Astros, how is Verlander still so damn good? Christ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Speaking of the Astros, how is Verlander still so damn good? Christ

Verlander is a once in a generation freak.  He's the Nolan Ryan of the early 21st century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is amazing because pretty much every single post is making a different but equally valid point. It's just an endless list.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a tremendous winning streak starting tonite!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, pcq said:

I see a tremendous winning streak starting tonite!!!!!!!!!

I admire your optimism 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, pcq said:

I see a tremendous winning streak starting tonite!!!!!!!!!

Someone started drinking early this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there’s a lot of reasons, but a bunch of guys you were counting on being unavailable for long stretches of time the past two years hasn’t helped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, pcq said:

I see a tremendous winning streak starting tonite!!!!!!!!!

The post we all needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, reiks12 said:

The post we all needed. 

Except for the fact there is no game tonight ! 🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Except for the fact there is no game tonight ! 🤣

Stop making sh*t up!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One problem this team has it will never make a Harper-type impact signing. That is why I have doubts about this rebuild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

 

We all know who is in charge, 41 years of horrible ownership with so many many bad moves, from alienating Harry Caray to the White Flag trade to tearing down a great old ballpark and then building a horrible ballpark in the wrong neighborhood and countless other gaffes with hiring TLR as one of the worst.

BTW I will give credit for the remake of the ballpark back in 2004, they did a pretty good job without tearing the whole place down but in survey after survey it's still near the bottom of the best ballparks list, IIRC the highest I've ever seen it rated is 18th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

This result seemed inevitable.  A good manager could have had this team anywhere else.  There’s no guarantee they’d have a ring already with the injuries and variables, but I doubt they’d be as dead in the water going nowhere fast as they are now. 

TLR makes at least one bad decision in every game.  That is hard to overcome.  Hiring him was a big unforced error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

TLR makes at least one bad decision in every game.  That is hard to overcome.  Hiring him was a big unforced error.

And that's just when he fills out the line up card.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hahn is a puppet. Reinsdorf is the puppeteer.

Until Reinsdorf signs off on a market value, 9 figure contract.......he's the problem. The Sox are 27th in MLB in highest contracts in franchise history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Until Reinsdorf signs off on a market value, 9 figure contract.......he's the problem. The Sox are 27th in MLB in highest contracts in franchise history. 

Who’s below?  Pirates, Rays and A’s?  That in and of itself is very telling.  

Risk averse on bigger contracts but more than happy to spend money like drunken sailors on a weekend past on utility guys, aging veterans, bullpen.  The core is obviously stronger than 2016, but the finishing moves are almost anti-Braves 2021.

Then we’re supposed to turn around and praise them for spending so much when it’s crap decision after crap decision. Rodon and Kimbrel QO’s leads to Kimbrel staying leads on the roster after the lockout eventually leads to VV/Pollock/Harrison/lesser draft pool for the 30th ranked farm system.  It’s like losing all the money you brought to Vegas then borrowing another $10,000 or putting it on a credit card in an ill-advised attempt to get back to even.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Who’s below?  Pirates, Rays and A’s?  That in and of itself is very telling.  

Risk averse on bigger contracts but more than happy to spend money like drunken sailors on a weekend past on utility guys, aging veterans, bullpen.  The core is obviously stronger than 2016, but the finishing moves are almost anti-Braves 2021.

Then we’re supposed to turn around and praise them for spending so much when it’s crap decision after crap decision. Rodon and Kimbrel QO’s leads to Kimbrel staying leads on the roster after the lockout eventually leads to VV/Pollock/Harrison/lesser draft pool for the 30th ranked farm system.  It’s like losing all the money you brought to Vegas then borrowing another $10,000 or putting it on a credit card in an ill-advised attempt to get back to even.

It was the Guardians, A's and Pirates but the Ramirez extension has pushed Cleveland past the Sox. 

So they're 28th now. 

It's so strange how Jerry is willing to light money on fire around the margins. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×