Kinda tired of the revisionist history on this site as people complain

vilehoopster

As I read so many people complain about how things went wrong and continue to go wrong, I get a little tired of people on here saying that Hahn was a complete idiot for this move or that move or for signing this player. What drives me a little crazy is that I have to believe a ton of those people pitching the biggest fit, were totally for those moves when they happened, but seem to have conveniently forgotten that.  Let's give some examples. 

Grandal: When Grandal became available as a free agent, poster after poster was on here was saying how the Sox need to grab him, how great his defense was, how great his framing is and how much with his framing he would help our pitchers. "He's the best catcher in baseball"; that kind of stuff. When the Sox signed him, people on here were losing it in their happiness. "What a great signing."  There was a clear majority of people who thought Grandal would bring all that to the Sox and posting it on this board. Now, all I read is what an idiot Hahn was for signing this aging, falling-apart veteran who is terrible defensively. It is so clearly hypocritical for these same posters, and there has to be a lot of them now, who are bashing Hahn for doing something they agreed with at the time.  

Kimbrel: After the Sox signed him, I came on here wondering if it was a good move. I would guess, at least, 90% of the posters were ecstatic about that trade. Some wondered with we really wanted to trade young talent for an older, unreliable reliever. A few were against it. But 90% of the posters were creaming their pants, "This is such a great move."  "The window is open now. We're going for it."  Just poster after poster, after poster thinking this was the best move ever. After reading all that, I got really excited about the trade too. Yet, now everyone on here claims that Hahn was a moron for making this move. Again, the revisionist history is hard to take. 

How many people on here were stating that the Sox needed to unload Abreu and not sign him three or so years ago? "Trade him, trade him while he still has value." It wasn't a strong majority, but there was a majority that wanted to not sign him. What happened? He won the MVP the next year. No one admits they're wrong on that one. 

More recently, Tons and tons of posters on here were repeatedly saying that Hahn was letting the organization down and "we need him for the window" screaming that Hahn NEEDED to sign Conforto. How did that one turn out?  Are those people who were so wrong on that one, are they the same people on here saying that Hahn is an idiot and needs to be fired. I would bet that a lot of them are. So here is an example of Hahn doing the right thing by not making a move, a move that many, many posters wanted him to make. Yet again, Hahn was correct, but those same posters, without admitting they were wrong, continue to demand that Hahn be fired. 

I understand the examples I'm giving are completely typical of fans in general and of forum posters in particular, but still, the absolute certainty that some posters express on this board that this move or that move was wrong long after it happened, when they for that move before it happened or when it happened, that is really tough to take at times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

As I read so many people complain about how things went wrong and continue to go wrong, I get a little tired of people on here saying that Hahn was a complete idiot for this move or that move or for signing this player. What drives me a little crazy is that I have to believe a ton of those people pitching the biggest fit, were totally for those moves when they happened, but seem to have conveniently forgotten that.  Let's give some examples. 

Grandal: When Grandal became available as a free agent, poster after poster was on here was saying how the Sox need to grab him, how great his defense was, how great his framing is and how much with his framing he would help our pitchers. "He's the best catcher in baseball"; that kind of stuff. When the Sox signed him, people on here were losing it in their happiness. "What a great signing."  There was a clear majority of people who thought Grandal would bring all that to the Sox and posting it on this board. Now, all I read is what an idiot Hahn was for signing this aging, falling-apart veteran who is terrible defensively. It is so clearly hypocritical for these same posters, and there has to be a lot of them now, who are bashing Hahn for doing something they agreed with at the time.  

Kimbrel: After the Sox signed him, I came on here wondering if it was a good move. I would guess, at least, 90% of the posters were ecstatic about that trade. Some wondered with we really wanted to trade young talent for an older, unreliable reliever. A few were against it. But 90% of the posters were creaming their pants, "This is such a great move."  "The window is open now. We're going for it."  Just poster after poster, after poster thinking this was the best move ever. After reading all that, I got really excited about the trade too. Yet, now everyone on here claims that Hahn was a moron for making this move. Again, the revisionist history is hard to take. 

How many people on here were stating that the Sox needed to unload Abreu and not sign him three or so years ago? "Trade him, trade him while he still has value." It wasn't a strong majority, but there was a majority that wanted to not sign him. What happened? He won the MVP the next year. No one admits they're wrong on that one. 

More recently, Tons and tons of posters on here were repeatedly saying that Hahn was letting the organization down and "we need him for the window" screaming that Hahn NEEDED to sign Conforto. How did that one turn out?  Are those people who were so wrong on that one, are they the same people on here saying that Hahn is an idiot and needs to be fired. I would bet that a lot of them are. So here is an example of Hahn doing the right thing by not making a move, a move that many, many posters wanted him to make. Yet again, Hahn was correct, but those same posters, without admitting they were wrong, continue to demand that Hahn be fired. 

I understand the examples I'm giving are completely typical of fans in general and of forum posters in particular, but still, the absolute certainty that some posters express on this board that this move or that move was wrong long after it happened, when they for that move before it happened or when it happened, that is really tough to take at times. 

The bolded is just flat out wrong.

And it's not so much that they didn't sign Conforto. At the time when we didn't know about the shoulder, yes a lot of people wanted him. But it's also the fact they didn't really address the RF issue at all.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

I haven't seen one person suggest that Grandal was a bad signing. You appear to be reading criticism of Grandal as criticism of his signing

Nowhere near 90% were positive about that trade.

He won MVP solely because COVID happened and there were no games in April-May. He has yet to hit well enough in those months to even sniff MVP consideration in a full season. In light of this team having so many other DHs playing out of position, it's easy to make the argument that he shouldn't have been extended, or at least not for 3 years at that price.

The calls for Conforto were strongest only after every single other LH outfield bat went off the market. Obviously Conforto was not an option, but Hahn's failure was not acquiring a LH bat in general, and not Conforto specificially. Kelly and Harrison are wasted money at this point, which many people suggested would happen. Leury should never have been offered anything more than 2/7, if that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure I liked getting Kimbrel but thought the price was too high. I expected him to pitch well in the 8th inning but unfortunately he sucked when he wasn't closing. And I hated it when Hahn decided to keep him instead of just not picking up the option.

Abreu I figured the Sox would keep him .So pretty sure I never expressed a desire to get rid of him.

I was against the Conforto idea and expressed it quite a few times because I didn't like the bad year he had. When it got down to near the start of the season and the Sox hadn't picked up any lefty hitters and his market was getting smaller I said if they can get him cheap now I'm more comfortable with it. Then we heard he was hurt.

Grandal yep loved that move because he got on base and the Sox needed that ,and his power  and switch hitting. Never thought framing was as big a deal as people made it seem. But I usually don't criticize players as much as I do management. And I've never been one to let off steam in game threads . Players age and go through bad periods and everyone knows that the back end of some contracts won't always be good on longer term deals for veteran players.

If you are going by game threads that's not usually a place to get objective opinions but Hahn does suck but part of that is because of JR. How much we'll never know.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

The calls for Conforto were strongest only after every single other LH outfield bat went off the market. Obviously Conforto was not an option, but Hahn's failure was not acquiring a LH bat in general, and not Conforto specificially. Kelly and Harrison are wasted money at this point, which many people suggested would happen. Leury should never have been offered anything more than 2/7, if that.

Not true at all. There weren't a whole lot of LH hitting OF in free agency, lots of good hitting bad fielding RHH and a few bad fielding LHH like Schwarber. Conforto was deemed the best choice as a LHH and decent fielder right from the start.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not true at all. There weren't a whole lot of LH hitting OF in free agency, lots of good hitting bad fielding RHH and a few bad fielding LHH like Schwarber. Conforto was deemed the best choice as a LHH and decent fielder right from the start.

OK, well the solution was to sign Schwarber and trade Eloy and I suggested as much. I was never high on Conforto.

39 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

The bolded is just flat out wrong.

I agree 90% is high for a percentage in favor of the Kimbrel signing, but it was a clear majority.  Bullpen was widely regarded as the top need at the time.  I remember coming in and expressing a pretty muted note of criticism of the high price we paid, and getting hammered by posters demanding that I identify which high-end reliever was available at a better price.

53 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Some of us never understood why the management team that brought us the need for a rebuild was put in charge of then fixing all the problems they’d created in the first place.

A number of us, but not a majority, were concerned Kimbrel would not be able to adjust to having his closer’s role taken away.  That was proved correct, and even LaRussa questioned the fit, albeit after the move was already made. 

Abreu was 1st and 16th in MVP voting these last two years.  $50 million for three years at his advanced age was hardly highway robbery, but it has certainly turned out well, at least until this season. That said, Vaughn should be starting at first base now, everyone in the world knows he’s playing out of position. And now he’s still blocked.

Hahn said we didn’t have the inside information about why Jimenez was not in fact injury-prone.  Not sure what kind of analysis they have which backs that up.  Probably the same internal information that supports Gain Sheets getting the lion’s share of DH time.

Grandal never should have gotten more than three years…simply because every catcher starts to fall apart rapidly in their mid 30’s post steroids era.  Many, including Balta, expressed concern/s about all the other aspects of his defensive game not related to framing, particularly blocking pitches, throwing out runners and pitch selection.  No secret at all the Dodgers didn’t trust him at all the last year he was on their playoff roster, not unlike the Yankees parting ways with Gary Sanchez.

Not sure why not addressing RF (Pollock never had the arm and him playing LF was just an accident) or lack of quality left handed hitting added is a feather in Hahn’s cap?  Every GM passed on him, so doesn’t everyone get credit for doing due diligence?  The fact we fixated on Conforto was simply because every other option was already off the table.  In reality, he had no desire to do anything besides stand pat with our current roster and hope for the best…which has turned out so well.

Finally, everyone screamed about overpaying Kelly…giving Leury three years when nobody was competing for him at that price and certainly 75-80% thought Harrison’s 1.5 fWAR wouldn’t stand up and would look more like his 2-3 previous years in the desert.

Oh, and we skipped about 10-15 starting pitchers that would have been useful…starting with Rodon. Cueto might have bailed them out temporarily, but we simply can’t just continue to give away 25-33% of our starts to the opposition and still expect to go anywhere.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I think you need to be reminded that fans are not privy to a lot of info that GM's have. Also with such a diverse group of fans some are very thorough in their evaluations based on advanced stats.  Some may  go on career stats and others give more weight to recent stats. Some don't do any homework and parrot the more popular opinions. Some don't give their opinion because they may catch  flak for it.

Plus the posters who wanted to get Conforto were never actually proven wrong. If he wasn't injured and the Sox signed him we have no idea how he would've played. We were all wondering why he wasn't signing and we found out eventually that he either hurt his shoulder partying or w/e BS reason Boras gave the media.

Most of Solo's transactions have pooped the bed. His rebuild trades were excellent and then things went downhill. I would suggest give Tony the GM job in order to bring in a dynamic younger manager.

Alternative thread title.

We’re kind of tired of being sold a false bill of goods as Sox fans.  .500 and not even mired in mediocrity as the White Sox, Tigers and Royals are ranked 13th through 15th in AL RS/RA differential.  We are 7-12 against some of the worst teams in baseball, somehow.  Meanwhile the Twins are 13-5, a massive 6.5 game swing in the standings.  That doesn’t happen by accident.  Not for almost 1/3rd of a season now when we finish playing Toronto and TB.

Those boos for Keuchel should have been aimed at the executive suites higher up in the stadium.  There are many more totally embarrassing games than ones we can be proud of our team

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pcq said:

Most of Solo's transactions have pooped the bed. His rebuild trades were excellent and then things went downhill. I would suggest give Tony the GM job in order to bring in a dynamic younger manager.

yost.jpg

4 minutes ago, pcq said:

That worked so well in AZ with him and Dave Stewart.  God help the Sox.  Pujols, Wainright and Molina will never retire.

24 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I agree 90% is high for a percentage in favor of the Kimbrel signing, but it was a clear majority.  Bullpen was widely regarded as the top need at the time.  I remember coming in and expressing a pretty muted note of criticism of the high price we paid, and getting hammered by posters demanding that I identify which high-end reliever was available at a better price.

I was one of those who hated the trade, i posted about it in the trade thread. I remember there being quite a few posters saying it was an overpay or felt off about it.

• Like 1

Not sure I understand the point of this thread. What are you trying to accomplish or hoping to prove here? 

I think you believe you're defending Hahn and the job he's done, but in reality you're saying any fan could have done the job he's done. 

Furthermore, what do you expect fans to be doing right now? We were told, by the man you're defending, that this was a World Series or bust season. The time is now. This is the window. 

The Sox are 22-22 and have one of the worst run differentials in baseball. What should the fans be saying, @vilehoopster?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

That why they call this a forum, which is fandom, which is fans being allowed to give their opinions whether right or wrong. The fact is, we love this Sox team so passionately that sometimes when we see the direction of the team going seriously sideways, we will post heated and passionate remarks. I got news for you though. Go check out any other similar MLB forum and I assure you they question the same trades, signings, player productions and management decisions. 

I don’t really get the criticism of the thread, or the confusion about it.  It’s not a specific defense of all Hahn’s moves, or a criticism of all criticism of the team.  I read it as a commentary on a specific type of posting habit here, i.e. a tendency to flip positions on moves only after they don’t turn out well.  Feel free to take issue with the actual prevalence of that habit, but seems pretty clear to me that’s the point and it’s a logically consistent one, at least in theory.

• Haha 1

Them: “there’s too much revisionist history on this site.”

Me: “Here’s the 5000 words I wrote in a 2019 thread on the theme that Rick Hahn is the worst GM in baseball.”

(you’ve got me on being dumb enough to like the Kimbrel trade because I didn’t look at any of his advanced stats and just assumed RH had. Oops.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, if it came down to McCann or Yaz, I don't think McCann turns this team around, because something systemic is causing what was thought to be a top lineup in baseball to suffer so much.

Kimbrel - was jazzed. Didn't workout, don't miss Madrigal and his now-vanished hit tool. I wish they got a more efficient use for him, but, c'est la vie. Looking back, Madrigal should have been used to solidify the OF and Tepara could have been the 8th inning guy.

Conforto - of course we all wanted him, but that's because we didn't know he was a bumbling idiot behind the scenes. So, team gets a pass.

Now, all that being said, unless Carlos Rodon's arm literally explodes, I will get all up on my high horse for them not doing the bare minimum in giving him a QO. Tepara and Quintana could have been had for less than Kelly and VV (and better). Big Energy is a Big Mistake at his contract.

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Them: “there’s too much revisionist history on this site.”

Me: “Here’s the 5000 words I wrote in a 2019 thread on the theme that Rick Hahn is the worst GM in baseball.”

(you’ve got me on being dumb enough to like the Kimbrel trade because I didn’t look at any of his advanced stats and just assumed RH had. Oops.)

The only reason I liked the Kimbrel deal is because it got Madrigal of the team and I was sick of the written fellatio. 

Also, you don't take Crochet at 11th overall if you're not going to be patient and start him. 

I admit I was a Crochet fan, as those are the risks you have to take outside the top 10. 

Burger got hurt, not much you can do there. 

I will complain about Madrigal and Vaughn forever. Vaughn is a good player but wasting the 3rd overall pick on a player that is blocked is dumb. 

At the time of the 2018 draft I was just glad that they didn't take Singer but in retrospect that would have been a better pick than Madrigal. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

54 minutes ago, pcq said:

One name/word --- Arizona. Very good chance TLR does more damage to this club as GM than as manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

You make some valid points, but one would expect that the GM along with his professional scouts would be better at evaluating players and making decisions than some fans on an internet fan forum.

Also, there's not much of an excuse for them not even attempting to fill obvious holes in RF and 2B with top talent during what they said was their "window."

And then there's the whole LaRussa hiring.

Bottom line is this organization sucks and they are the ones responsible for the moves they make, not the fans on Soxtalk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1