This White Sox team is indefensible at this point.

VAfan

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh yes 2015-2016 were utterly miserable. Don’t forget how awful those experiences were just because it’s been a while. They traded away MVP candidates to get to 78 wins. They wasted Chris Sale and made him so frustrated he shredded his uniforms. People retired to get away from that clubhouse.

Yet 23-10 in 2016 might be quite a few games over .500 higher than the 2022 Sox reach unless something changes dramatically like LaRussa or less likely Hahn resigning.

6 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

2016 was a miserable season, it really was and anybody saying this year is worse just doesnt remember. 

The expectations were much higher this season though, 2016 at least Rick had a plan going forward. If they fail to make the playoffs, I would lose all hope in Rick to be able to fix this let alone with an owner who would rather an 80 year old drunk be in charge of the team. 

Again 2016 sucked but the writing was on the wall for Robin, I see no light at the end of the tunnel with Tony. They need a change at manager but Jerry will in no way allow it. 

5 hours ago, VAfan said:

The problem with the offense turning around is they have no patience at the plate.  They do not work the count.  They do not force pitchers to elevate their pitch counts, get tired, and then groove hittable pitches. 

To a certain extent. My eye test tells me that they let cookies go by A LOT and swing at crap. It's truly like Murphy's Law. I saw some meaty pitches from the Cubs tonight that the Sox just let go by.

The '16 White Sox at least gave us ~5 weeks of enjoyable baseball, which this years team has not and may well never do. However, those 5 weeks of fun are one of the worst things to ever happen to the franchise because it lead to trading away Tatis. If that team just plays to a 78 win pace all season then he's still here and that's not something I'll ever be able to get over.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh yes 2015-2016 were utterly miserable. Don’t forget how awful those experiences were just because it’s been a while. They traded away MVP candidates to get to 78 wins. They wasted Chris Sale and made him so frustrated he shredded his uniforms. People retired to get away from that clubhouse.

Wasting Sale's prime isn't something I'll ever be able to get over, either. He should have been a White Sox for life. The fact he never pitched in a meaningful game here is beyond pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Wasting Sale's prime isn't something I'll ever be able to get over, either. He should have been a White Sox for life. The fact he never pitched in a meaningful game here is beyond pathetic.

He had 2010 and 2012 but yeah no playoff appearances.

Meanwhile the Red Sox kept the better player in Devers...even if they were wrong on Benintendi and Kopech looks on track to be a star.

the season’s long so I have a hard time making declarative statements about where this will end up. but it’s hard to imagine things going worse, or ignore the steady decline in performance since last July.

and if this is the yoan and grandal we’re getting this year, you can probably pack it all up. 

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

2016 Jimmy Rollins got released around this point of the season. He was done. He had a .624 OPS. That is higher than Sheets, Eloy, Harrison, Moncada, Engel.

The average OPS was probably 30-35 points higher at that point in season compared to this year, maybe even 40, but the point still stands.

And that's with Pollock missing the 624 cutoff barely, McGuire and Leury too.

I can’t trust this team to even go on the winning streak it needs to get over .500 and get close to the Twins. That should be the goal right now, because continuing down the road of playing around .500 is not going to get it done.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

He had 2010 and 2012 but yeah no playoff appearances.

Meanwhile the Red Sox kept the better player in Devers...even if they were wrong on Benintendi and Kopech looks on track to be a star.

Nothing from this team leads me to believe Devers would have turned into the player he is today if he came to our organization. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

The '16 White Sox at least gave us ~5 weeks of enjoyable baseball, which this years team has not and may well never do. However, those 5 weeks of fun are one of the worst things to ever happen to the franchise because it lead to trading away Tatis. If that team just plays to a 78 win pace all season then he's still here and that's not something I'll ever be able to get over.

Giving away Tatis will always be inexcusable, but what's to say he explodes onto the scene in the Sox org over SD?  Sox player development while improved now over then is better, it is still shitty in comparison to other orgs around the league.

On 5/28/2022 at 5:04 PM, Lillian said:

Yes, they have all been good hitters. However, Abreu, Pollock, Grandal and Harrison are all at an age when they could just be to near the end of their careers. I have more confidence in Abreu to still have a decent season, than I do the others but all four of them are precariously near the point where they are just not going to be able to match their career numbers. 

These guys you mention are north of 30 yrs old and in decline.  Our FO also specializes in bringing in veteran FAs at the end of their careers.

On 5/29/2022 at 9:19 AM, Tnetennba said:

Giving away Tatis will always be inexcusable, but what's to say he explodes onto the scene in the Sox org over SD?  Sox player development while improved now over then is better, it is still shitty in comparison to other orgs around the league.

Tatis is a superstar, he was going to be that anywhere. We just unfortunately moved him before he broke out. 

On 5/29/2022 at 3:33 AM, reiks12 said:

2016 was a miserable season, it really was and anybody saying this year is worse just doesnt remember. 

I think the expectation in 2022 after the 'rebuild' is what makes it miserable compared to 2016.

• Like 1