Do the White Sox Make the Playoffs?

SoxBlanco

5 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

I have a little more hope today.  Just watched Twins Tigers game today.  Tigers win 7-5.  Twins didn’t look that good.  Sox have a chance at the division, but cannot punt any more games.

Going to be tough with you know who making out the lineup everyday.

• Like 1

Yes, but only if Hahn makes some more huge changes on offense. He needs to DFA Harrison, McGuire and bring up Yolbert and Perez. Depending how serious TA's injury is and how long he'll be out, I might give Sosa a call up too. 

Our pitching is strong enough to get us into the playoffs, but not without some major improved offense. 

The defense also needs to clean up their mistakes!

10 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

I have a little more hope today.  Just watched Twins Tigers game today.  Tigers win 7-5.  Twins didn’t look that good.  Sox have a chance at the division, but cannot punt any more games.

This about sums it up. The White Sox have a chance because the division is so bad. That isn't really saying much. 

On 5/29/2022 at 2:18 PM, reiks12 said:

With TA going down this looks like a lost season for sure now. 

Was the season not punted when they decided they were fine putting a more expensive but worse team on the field in  2022?

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 5:37 PM, 35thstreetswarm said:

Yes, as a division winner.

Recalculating...

Honestly, post-TA injury, and with the continued refusal to play the regulars we do have available, I have no idea.  I mean, I have no idea who the "Chicago White Sox" even are at this point.  The question is really:  "Do the White Sox make the playoffs [plus or minus 5-6 of their best players]?"  How does one even answer that?

I think they can reach the playoffs but the core hitters (abreu, moncada, eloy, grandal, robert, Anderson) will need to both perform and be mostly healthy in the second half. 

Those hitters (and vaughn who has been good) should do well but the 8th to 14th (sheets, burger,mcguire, leury, engel, mendick, pollock) best hitters of this team are basically quad A level and you can't lean on them too much. 

If two of those are in the lineup that is fine but if 5 of them are in the lineup team is in trouble and the offense is very bad especially if several of the core players who are actually healthy are underperforming too. 

Somehow, Fangraphs still has the Sox as a healthy favorite to win the central 49.4% vs 41.4% for the Twins.  This somehow improved from 47.7%/45.7%, respectively, yesterday.  Perhaps the TA news?  Seems like a strange swing in one day.   

64.4% chance to make the playoffs included a 14.9% chance at a WC.  

https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds

31 minutes ago, Dan Pasqua said:

We all know how this is going to go down.  We keep playing IR and below .500 baseball and then catch fire down the stretch as the team playing the best baseball but miss playoffs by a couple games.  Then we say woulda coulda shoulda.

I'm not sure any team in the Central is going to play well enough to hold off a Sox team that "catches fire."  That's the thing that gives me hope.  To me the risk is that we just never really get healthy and keep seeing what we've seen to date.

This team should win the division considering everything. However. the Sox just don't play fundamentally sound baseball. In addition, they have a manager half asleep in the dugout. I see mismanagement everywhere. What they should do, and what they will do, can be two totally different things.

Not going to opine one way or the other here, just wanted to share a story from back in March.  When the lockout ended and opening day hit, I tried to use some of my season ticket account credits to purchase tickets to Opening Day, only to be told that they were unavailable (some weird issue with them being separated from potential credits generated by lost games due to the lockout).  Frustrating enough needless to say, and I communicated that frustration and was met with the following:

I completely understand the frustration! If I could utilize your credit for that, I certainly would for you. But please know that the previous credits that you had can also be used for playoffs so it won’t go to waste!

In short, my opinion is fuck this organization and their hubris that goes from the top all the way on down.

3 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

The Twins starting pitching is already beginning to fall apart.  And considering many of these guys are on innings limits, the team is due for a lot of regression.  I think the Sox will make it but it may almost be by default.

Well, they are down four starters, counting Paddack.

They are clearly in .500/survival mode for at least the next month.

Waiting on healthy Correa Buxton R.Lewis Kiriloff Sano, etc.

A lot depends on the health of Ryan and Gray, adding one more piece like Montas and then Maeda returning from surgery the last 4-6 weeks of the season.

Edited by caulfield12