LaRussa anthem story making national headlines

caulfield12

Protest by San Francisco's Gabe Kapler brings support from some fellow managers, but Chicago White Sox's Tony La Russa differs

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34000971/protest-san-francisco-gabe-kapler-brings-support-some-fellow-managers-chicago-white-sox-tony-la-russa-differs

https://kaplifestyle.com/2022/05/27/home-of-the-brave/

But we weren’t given bravery, and we aren’t free. The police on the scene put a mother in handcuffs as she begged them to go in and save her children. They blocked parents trying to organize to charge in to stop the shooter, including a father who learned his daughter was murdered while he argued with the cops. We aren’t free when politicians decide that the lobbyist and gun industries are more important than our children’s freedom to go to school without needing bulletproof backpacks and active shooter drills.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

Of course TLR differs. He is the smartest guy in the room don't you know? He is a nearly 80 yr old man who like most 80 year old men is stubborn as hell and isn't going to change his mind about anything. 

Hey Tony. The game, like most everything else passed you by 20 years ago. 

• Like 4

electoral politics aren't going to save anyone. everytime societal change has happened, it was because a huge grass roots movement was behind it and politicians had no choice but to get in line. nothing is gonna change until mass protests happen and people get in the streets. begging politicians nicely on twitter does jack shit except waste time

• Like 2

La Russa said he was moved watching a scene in a documentary about the 1992 "Dream Team." As they stood for the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" following their Olympic championship in Barcelona, several of the biggest names in basketball history teared up and later spoke about the pride they had playing for their country and hearing the anthem played.

"I thought, 'Man, that's what the anthem is. That's what the flag is.' It's all that's right in this country and you're right to dislike and protest whatever you want to. But it ain't the flag and it ain't the anthem. That's my answer. I agree there's a lot wrong, but I would never not stand up for the anthem or salute the flag."

https://sports.yahoo.com/tony-la-russa-gabe-kapler-000601409.html

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/cubs-jed-hoyer-david-ross-mlb-has-platform-encourage-change

Edited by caulfield12

There’s plenty of reasons to be upset with LaRussa as manager. He makes mistakes all the time that I think (we all think) hurt the Sox’s chances to win. But this is a bullshit attack. To attack him for his political beliefs, which he explained why he believes it, is wrong. Many, many people believe as he does. 

I agree with what Kapler said and is doing, but I will absolutely defend TLR’s right to his opinion. Complain about his not pinch hitting for someone, or his lineups, or his batting orders. There’s plenty there to get upset about. But he has the right to his political beliefs and opinions.

I know, as he falls apart, why don’t you start another thread on how stupid the Sox were for not resigning Rodon for 44 million.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

There’s plenty of reasons to be upset with LaRussa as manager. He makes mistakes all the time that I think (we all think) hurt the Sox’s chances to win. But this is a bullshit attack. To attack him for his political beliefs, which he explained why he believes it, is wrong. Many, many people believe as he does. 

I agree with what Kapler said and is doing, but I will absolutely defend TLR’s right to his opinion. Complain about his not pinch hitting for someone, or his lineups, or his batting orders. There’s plenty there to get upset about. But he has the right to his political beliefs and opinions.

I know, as he falls apart, why don’t you start another thread on how stupid the Sox were for not resigning Rodon for 44 million.

Have you noticed that he is the ONLY manager so far to put himself out there on that island, compared to 8-9 others who didn't?

Why would you want to put yourself into a box in opposition to the beliefs of the majority of your roster?

You have to know your environment.  If it was golf or tennis or NASCAR, there would be no or certainly lesser controversy.

He has the right to free speech, no differently than Jerry Manuel expressed himself as manager, but he also knows the headlines and consequences...but always seems to make it more about himself.

He referenced the 1992 Olympics.  That was thirty years ago. Times have changed.  It's not Gran Torino.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Have you noticed that he is the ONLY manager so far to put himself out there on that island, compared to 8-9 others who didn't?

Why would you want to put yourself into a box in opposition to the beliefs of the majority of your roster?

You have to know your environment.  If it was golf or tennis or NASCAR, there would be no or certainly lesser controversy.

He has the right to free speech, no differently than Jerry Manuel expressed himself as manager, but he also knows the headlines and consequences...but always seems to make it more about himself.

He referenced the 1992 Olympics.  That was thirty years ago. Times have changed.  It's not Gran Torino.

The default is still to stand for the national anthem. He's not putting himself on any island. And baseball has a similar fanbase compared to the aforementioned sports so I'm not even sure why mention that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The default is still to stand for the national anthem. He's not putting himself on any island. And baseball has a similar fanbase compared to the aforementioned sports so I'm not even sure why mention that.

Sure, Chicago is not San Francisco...but none of the ten other managers quoted so far have sought to make headlines.  

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Protest by San Francisco's Gabe Kapler brings support from some fellow managers, but Chicago White Sox's Tony La Russa differs

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34000971/protest-san-francisco-gabe-kapler-brings-support-some-fellow-managers-chicago-white-sox-tony-la-russa-differs

https://kaplifestyle.com/2022/05/27/home-of-the-brave/

But we weren’t given bravery, and we aren’t free. The police on the scene put a mother in handcuffs as she begged them to go in and save her children. They blocked parents trying to organize to charge in to stop the shooter, including a father who learned his daughter was murdered while he argued with the cops. We aren’t free when politicians decide that the lobbyist and gun industries are more important than our children’s freedom to go to school without needing bulletproof backpacks and active shooter drills.

Caulfield  --- You've stated that you reside in China. Are you living in mainland China or Taiwan?
The reason I ask - AFAIK PRC censors internet discussion and would be unlikely to allow anything positive regarding the US in a matter like this to be disseminated onto the WWW.  i.e. If one were to post material in support of TLR's statement, would it make it past the servers?
I'm not arguing your opinion one way or another, but if you're posting from The People's Republic of China, a reader has to account for extenuating circumstances and bias re: your posts on political matters.

Edited by FoxForce2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Tony may be interested to learn that the flag wasn't created for the military.

It's a common mistake. A conflation of ideas that don't fully coincide.
As a retired U.S. Navy Senior Chief Petty Officer, I fully realize that the symbolic expressions of the Anthem and Flag are not somehow exclusive property of service members or Vets or the Department of Defense for that matter. Having said that, I'm pretty much on TLR's side on this one. His lineups and pitching selections, among other things  --- not so much.
Have a great Memorial Day Weekend!  And hopefully we all remember what this weekend is about.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Caulfield  --- You've stated that you reside in China. Are you living in mainland China or Taiwan?
The reason I ask - AFAIK PRC censors internet discussion and would be unlikely to allow anything positive regarding the US in a matter like this to be disseminated onto the WWW.  i.e. If one were to post material in support of TLR's statement, would it make it past the servers?
I'm not arguing your opinion one way or another, but if you're posting from The People's Republic of China, a reader has to account for extenuating circumstances and bias re: your posts on political matters.

They don't have enough time for me.  There are too many local protests against lockdown policies in neighborhoods and factories across Shanghai and Beijing.  Otoh, I couldn't write something inflammatory and publicly post it on Weibo, which is like Twitter.  Almost all expats use VPNs and we generally avoid any sensitive topics on Weixin/WeChat messenger.

And I sincerely doubt the Chinese government would be on the side of Tim Anderson or having the right to protest a national flag or anything deemed anti-patriot in general.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They don't have enough time for me.  There are too many local protests against lockdown policies in neighborhoods and factories across Shanghai and Beijing.  Otoh, I couldn't write something inflammatory and publicly post it on Weibo, which is like Twitter.  Almost all expats use VPNs and we generally avoid any sensitive topics on Weixin/WeChat messenger.

Be careful.

2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Good for TLR. He has right to do the norm just as Kapler has the right to protest. Anyone looking to be upset over this is simply just looking to be upset. But yeah, I am upset with his line-ups.

You don’t think there is an aspect of self awareness as a manager of a diverse team to not make headlines on a divisive subject? Couldn’t Tony simply DO what he believes in and not go into detail talking about it with the media? 
Whether it should or shouldn’t be, and however minor, it IS a distraction that could have easily been avoided. 

And yes, of course when the team is vastly underperforming and Tony is struggling (to put it nicely) these types of things will get magnified.

• Like 1