TA out 3 weeks

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Yolbert is really more of a 2b. And he’s 25; so the future is now.  He’s also been slumping lately.  If you DFA Harrison, bring up Yolbert.  Replacing TA?  There’s really no one.  I mean, Sosa? Romy?  Neither of them are gonna save 2022. You’d be getting them ABs for development, I guess.

I dont think Harrison is getting DFA anytime soon with the TA injury. Leury is gonna play alot of SS. Even if they do give Yolbert a shot, they’re gonna keep Harrison on the roster at this point. Also Romy is hurt. 

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Yolbert is really more of a 2b. And he’s 25; so the future is now.  He’s also been slumping lately.  If you DFA Harrison, bring up Yolbert.  Replacing TA?  There’s really no one.  I mean, Sosa? Romy?  Neither of them are gonna save 2022. You’d be getting them ABs for development, I guess.

Still hitting .353 with an OBP of .508 in 67 PA since he joined Charlotte. He's worth a good look and this sure seems like the time to give him a shot somewhere.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Still hitting .353 with an OBP of .508 in 67 PA since he joined Charlotte. He's worth a good look and this sure seems like the time to give him a shot somewhere.

Those are his AA numbers. He’s cooled off last week or two in AAA but overall numbers still strong. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Those are his AA numbers. He’s cooled off last week or two in AAA but overall numbers still strong. 

Opps sorry shouldve taken a closer look. . At least he knows how to take a walk and get some base hits. .295 and .357 at Charlotte . Also went 4 for 7 in Spring training.

5 hours ago, Timmy U said:

SS is a problem with no satisfactory solution. Who knows what they ultimately do with Sosa, but I think they like their MLB scrubs right now. I would DFA Harrison in a heartbeat and play Yolbert every day at 2B if he’s ready.  The problem I am having is that the Sox have locked themselves into Harrison and Leury in 2022 for no good reason. They can launch someone at any time. They should get on with it. Or are we supposed to believe Harrison is some kind of essential veteran for a postseason run that may or may not happen?

18 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

SS is a problem with no satisfactory solution. Who knows what they ultimately do with Sosa, but I think they like their MLB scrubs right now. I would DFA Harrison in a heartbeat and play Yolbert every day at 2B if he’s ready.  The problem I am having is that the Sox have locked themselves into Harrison and Leury in 2022 for no good reason. They can launch someone at any time. They should get on with it. Or are we supposed to believe Harrison is some kind of essential veteran for a postseason run that may or may not happen?

Fuck it, do one fell swoop: DFA Harrison and McGuire, call up Yolbert, Perez and Sosa*. Let the young, hungry dudes try and re-energize the team.

*Not really on this one, cause it would be painful to see Sosa benched for Leury / Mendick at short.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Exactly about Yolbert . Better to give him the shot now. We're supposed to wait for the new 2nd basemen search or for him to be given a shot next year and go through the ups and downs of being a rookie then ? Bring him up now while Tim is hurt and Moncada is hurtish and scuffling. IL Moncada if you must.

If you want Moncada's bat play him at DH or 2nd base. Let Burger take his lumps here too playing 3rd. These guys getting hurt so much like Moncada and Eloy need to start showing the ability to stay on the field and hit the way they are supposed to. They are all replaceable and need to adjust to a new position.

All the DH's need to be pared down as do the guys who always get hurt. If this is a lost season then play Eloy Yoan Vaughn and let them sink or swim and establish some trade value. Send Sheets down. Try Adolpho  for all I care. No reason to wait for September if you're always waiting for a healthy team and keep hovering around .500. Don't have the bats now to win many games.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 2:18 PM, reiks12 said:

another lower half injury, what the fuck is this training staff doing these last few years?

They are doing nothing!

It's not only the training staff, but the coaches not making sure they are stretching often throughout the game and properly. Why aren't the players stretching in the dugout before they going on the field or before their next at bat?  Just because they stretch before the game, doesn't mean they are done stretching for the game. 

Why aren't the players working harder at being more proactive and preventive in their stretching, knowing how injury plagued this team has been? Hamstring and groins should not be happening as often as they occur on this Sox team.

45 minutes ago, Quin said:

Fuck it, do one fell swoop: DFA Harrison and McGuire, call up Yolbert, Perez and Sosa*. Let the young, hungry dudes try and re-energize the team.

*Not really on this one, cause it would be painful to see Sosa benched for Leury / Mendick at short.

I like this idea a lot, especially with Yolbert being 25 yrs old. The key are those three DFA's that would send a major message to the team and fans. Let the young hungry kids have their shot! Perez will not do any worse than McGuire. Yolbert will not do any worse than Harrison. Sosa would be better than Mendick or Leury. Let's at least find out. 

• Like 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I guess, hasn't proven he's a 2-3 WAR player yet. Has to stay healthy. That said, yea, if he stays healthy he's probably an average regular right now.

If he was at 1b maybe. His OF defense is so awful that right now he’s a 0 WAR player as his poor defense is completely offsetting any offensive value he has.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If he was at 1b maybe. His OF defense is so awful that right now he’s a 0 WAR player as his poor defense is completely offsetting any offensive value he has.

Yup, was going to mention that as well just didn't. Playing him out of position where he's -10 runs below average is a great way to crater his bat's value. At 1st he's probably league average. I was happy he didn't fall on his face in LF last year but at worst I thought he'd be a part timer out there and split 1B with Jose. Instead he's even seeing some time in RF, which is just bonkers.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

40 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

They are doing nothing!

It's not only the training staff, but the coaches not making sure they are stretching often throughout the game and properly. Why aren't the players stretching in the dugout before they going on the field or before their next at bat?  Just because they stretch before the game, doesn't mean they are done stretching for the game. 

Why aren't the players working harder at being more proactive and preventive in their stretching, knowing how injury plagued this team has been? Hamstring and groins should not be happening as often as they occur on this Sox team.

One thing I haven't heard mentioned but obvious if you are at the game is Abreu is playing with some sort of leg injury.  He is gimpy about half the time running, and is bent over in pain after stopping at bases.

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Are we ever going to get an answer here on the severity?

Probably not today. They’re in the air now. They’ll knock out a big press release with all of the roster moves tomorrow. 

…or

Edited by flavum

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yup, was going to mention that as well just didn't. Playing him out of position where he's -10 runs below average is a great way to crater his bat's value. At 1st he's probably league average. I was happy he didn't fall on his face in LF last year but at worst I thought he'd be a part timer out there and split 1B with Jose. Instead he's even seeing some time in RF, which is just bonkers.

You’ve underestimated this by enough that I have to point it out. He’s -7 runs on defense in 30 games. Over a full season that’s about -40 runs below average on defense.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

One thing I haven't heard mentioned but obvious if you are at the game is Abreu is playing with some sort of leg injury.  He is gimpy about half the time running, and is bent over in pain after stopping at bases.

I've noticed that too, but as we all know, Abreu is the toughest player on this team and maybe in MLB...so he just plays on. However he should be at DH more often. We have plenty of backup at first with Vaughn and Sheets. 

31 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

farm system hasn't produced a single average regular in the last three years that wasn't part of a big trade, that failure coming home to roost now.

The international signings (outside of the massive Cuban contracts)  is historically the biggest failure. And then they go ahead and trade Tatis for what they really love. But they dont draft well either. Although we thought they were on a bit of a nice first round run there with Rodon, Crochet, Vaughn  and Madrigal

Edited by Chick Mercedes

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You’ve underestimated this by enough that I have to point it out. He’s -7 runs on defense in 30 games. Over a full season that’s about -40 runs below average on defense.

There is something flawed there. He is no plus defender, but he's not that bad.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

They are doing nothing!

You to define stretching. Passive stretching, which I grew up with, where you are in a position and try to lengthen the muscles has been shown to actually cause more muscle injuries than it prevents,  unless you have a significant decrease in range of motion. It has also been shown to decrease power and performance during athletic activity.

Dynamic stretching such as monster walks and high knee drills are the best activities to get the muscles ready for athletic performance. 

However your overall point that there needs to be a significant overhaul in their off season training is right on point.

• Heads22 changed the title to TA out 3 weeks
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic