Trade deadline

reiks12

Long ways away but lets say the Sox are 10GB of the Twins and have no shot at the wild card, what do you hope happens? 

Some contracts worth thinking about: 

Giolito FA in 2024 (doesnt look like he will take a Hahn extension special)

Abreu FA in 2023

Grandal FA in 2024 (some interesting catching free agents in 2023)

With the talent on this club, a possible retooling could be what we need to extend the window/get back to winning ways.

Edited by reiks12

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Agree on the retool, but don’t think our front office has the cajones to do it

of I agree, I just want to read some good well thought out posts about what would be best for the team. I think everyone here can agree that they would fire the whole front office and managers. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Long ways away but lets say the Sox are 10GB of the Twins and have no shot at the wild card, what do you hope happens? 

Some contracts worth thinking about: 

Giolito FA in 2024 (doesnt look like he will take a Hahn extension special)

Abreu FA in 2023

Grandal FA in 2024 (some interesting catching free agents in 2023)

With the talent on this club, a possible retooling could be what we need to extend the window/get back to winning ways.

If we’re 10 GB you sell Giolito and probably some other pieces.

Priorities to trade for me would be:  Pollock if he has even 1 good month, Kelly, Graveman, and I'd consider Hendricks and Bummer.  Doubt you could get anything for Grandal, but I'd try it.

I'd consider Giolito and for sure Lynn if he comes back looking good.  I'd avoid talking about Cease, Kopech, Vaughn, Anderson and Robert.  Unlikely you'd get fair value for Moncada or Eloy, so your best bet is to hope for a rebound from those two.

In return, I'm looking to get more athletic, more left-handed, and pitching, pitching, pitching, and more pitching.  Sox farm has almost no pitching depth at any level.  You've got a handful of promising guys like Vera, Mena, and Burke, but everyone else is kind of a suspect at this point. Ideally, I'd like to get the catcher of the future as right now that's who?  Carlos Perez? Adam Hackenberg?

With Keuchel, Abreu, and hopefully Pollock off the books for '23, they could afford to get a marquee free agent to build around and have a little more depth both for trades and to rebuild from within.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jerry Reinsdorf gonna pull the "bite of the apple" bullshit this offseason, and we all know it.

"The fanbase spoke and we listened. We signed two major free agents and they didn't pan out, so we won't be signing anyone that isn't a 34 year old reliever with TWTW."

I'd say, let these guys play out the rest of the season and fire everyone who isn't a player. Literally, everyone else. Fired. Except for Jason Benetti. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox will not strip this thing down. 

They should strip it down, wait until the bad contracts expire, and start over. I will have zero expectations until they're under new ownership. 

I'd trade all of the starting pitching other than Kopech, and as soon as he establishes himself, trade him too. 

This team is incredibly unlikeable and unwatchable. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They should strip it down, wait until the bad contracts expire, and start over. I will have zero expectations until they're under new ownership. 

I'd trade all of the starting pitching other than Kopech, and as soon as he establishes himself, trade him too. 

The White Sox would never recover as a viable WS contender...except profits-wise, running Pitt or Oakland payrolls with attendance falling to the 13-14000 range.  Of course the various tv deals virtually guarantee the ownership group money in their pockets.

Can't even say the Guardians because they invested a ton into Jose Ramirez at least.

Edited by caulfield12

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox would never recover as a viable WS contender...except profits-wise, running Pitt or Oakland payrolls with attendance falling to the 13-14000 range.  Of course the various tv deals virtually guarantee the ownership group money in their pockets.

Can't even say the Guardians because they invested a ton into Jose Ramirez at least.

I'd rather get something for the players with value than watch them walk for free. 

46 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You have zero expectations ever tho. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I can't imagine getting anything for Moncada and Grandal. Nobody would want them and there contracts. I wonder if Burger keeps hitting  if he would be involved in some trade.

Im sure the Giants would figure Moncada out. They do it with just about every hitter. See Joc. See their 2021 squad.

50 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I can't imagine getting anything for Moncada and Grandal. Nobody would want them and there contracts. I wonder if Burger keeps hitting  if he would be involved in some trade.

But if you do trade away most of your younger players (see Madrigal being replaced by Harrison/Garcia, essentially), the payrolls are still going to skyrocket.

We all have concerns about Moncada long-term, especially his $24-25 million years (one is an option).   So logically they need to think about a replacement.

If Burger is traded, then you're waiting another 2 years for the next group of prospects to arrive, and then another 2 years to get their feet under them at the big league level if you look at the struggles of even top prospects like Moncada, Madrigal, Vaughn, Jimenez, Cease and Kopech.

So trading Burger gets you a B level prospect who you end up waiting on into some indeterminate point in the future, like a Brayan Ramos, Y.Sanchez, L.Sosa, Colas or Cespedes.

What the White Sox have been particular good at is taking a player like Sheets who has one breakout and then instead of trading (see Rays) you end up with a pit of nothingness and the value of your assets simply go up in smoke.  They can't differentiate between the assets to keep and those to trade at peak value and how to keep replenishing the system so there aren't constant peaks and valleys organizationally.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Yeah, there's no chance. Even if TA is out 2-3 months, I can't see them trading Giolito. 

Nope. Maybe if they do a major tailspin I could see some minor subtractions. But I’d be shocked to see them trade Giolito even if they’re were 12+ GB in July. 

Pretty sure there's a new Athletic article about some of the more complicated upcoming situations.

What's not clear is whether AJ Pollock or the White Sox are paying $5 million if he has a $10 million 2023 player option.  I would guess it's the Sox wasting another $5 million to send him away with no replacement who's actually a halfway competent LFer.

• 2022 opt out available ($5M buyout), with 1,000 plate appearances across 2020-2021, or 1,450 plate appearances across 2019-2021 (not earned, barely)
  • 2023 Player Option includes a $5M buyout
  • 2023 Option escalates $1M each for 
    400,450,500,550,600 Plate Appearances in 2022
  • Haha 1