Trade deadline

reiks12

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

They should strip it down, wait until the bad contracts expire, and start over. I will have zero expectations until they're under new ownership. 

I'd trade all of the starting pitching other than Kopech, and as soon as he establishes himself, trade him too. 

This team is incredibly unlikeable and unwatchable. 

Literally zero GMs would do a full tear down here. 

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Have to go the Twins Angels Padres route.  Full teardown is inconceivable in the AL Central.

They can't really tear down because they have so many bad deals. 

You can't really blame Hahn for Moncada and Eloy, those are just shit luck and were worth the gamble. Same can be said for Grandal. You sign those deals 10/10 times. 

Abreu is up after this year and gave 2/3 good seasons. 

I think realistically you trade Giolito and Lynn, while rebuilding the rotation in the winter, and bring the band back on offense and hope for the best. 

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

In this scenario, I’d move any reliever and Jose Abreu but I doubt they’d trade anyone under control. They’ll be division favorites once again next year regardless. 

Yeah I think I would listen on anyone who is under control through next year but that doesn’t necessarily mean I’d sell them at all costs

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

They can't really tear down because they have so many bad deals. 

You can't really blame Hahn for Moncada and Eloy, those are just shit luck and were worth the gamble. Same can be said for Grandal. You sign those deals 10/10 times. 

Abreu is up after this year and gave 2/3 good seasons. 

I think realistically you trade Giolito and Lynn, while rebuilding the rotation in the winter, and bring the band back on offense and hope for the best. 

They really don’t have. “So many bad deals” though. Certainly Moncada and Eloy are not bad deals at this point. Sure the options are expensive, but they’re options. 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

They really don’t have. “So many bad deals” though. Certainly Moncada and Eloy are not bad deals at this point. Sure the options are expensive, but they’re options. 

Harrison, Leury, Kelly, Pollock, Grandal, Abreu and Hendriks if we can’t compete this year, at best might be “decent” but not huge surplus value guys depending on their next two months.  VV probably.  Bummer, not sure what his actual value is at this point around the league, but some pitching coach might have a fix in mind.  Change of scenery candidate.

Jury completely still out on what Lynn looks like coming back late at his age and injury history.

In theory they could install Graveman at closer if they dealt Hendriks to cut salary.

You’re not getting that massive haul back keeping TA7, Anderson, Vaughn, Kopech, Cease.

Giolito and Hendriks the two mostly highly sought assets.  But is Liam’s value higher than Kimbrel’s last year to many mid market teams with another expensive year attached?…he’s no spring chicken and has a lot of high leverage mileage all around.  They would take Robertson instead, for example.  That said, he’s a horse.

Edited by caulfield12

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Harrison, Leury, Kelly, Pollock, Grandal, Abreu and Hendriks if we can’t compete this year, at best might be “decent” but not huge surplus value guys depending on their next two months.  VV probably.  Bummer, not sure what his actual value is at this point around the league, but some pitching coach might have a fix in mind.  Change of scenery candidate.

Jury completely still out on what Lynn looks like coming back late at his age and injury history.

In theory they could install Graveman at closer if they dealt Hendriks to cut salary.

You’re not getting that massive haul back keeping TA7, Anderson, Vaughn, Kopech, Cease.

Giolito and Hendriks the two mostly highly sought assets.  But is Liam’s value higher than Kimbrel’s last year to many mid market teams with another expensive year attached?…he’s no spring chicken and has a lot of high leverage mileage all around.  They would take Robertson instead, for example.  That said, he’s a horse.

I don’t believe Hendriks has much trade value because his contract is so big. He’s probably movable but I can’t imagine a big return for him. About the only GM who pays a big price in talent for expensive closers in a trade is, ironically, Rick Hahn, and the White Sox don’t have him to trade with.

Graveman on the other hand, if he continues pitching this well, could be much more interesting and actually give a solid return.

If you can find buyers for Moncada, Grandal, Pollack, then go for it...no matter what they bring back! Abreu, Lynn, Sheets and Hendricks should bring a good haul of prospects. 

I would not touch Kopech, Cease, Giolito, Robert, Vaughn, Burger, Eloy and Anderson.

I know Giolito is a FA in 2024, but Hahn needs to get a deal done prior to then. Many people here assume Giolito is gone when he is FA. I don't think that's the case. You can see he loves playing here and being with his teammates. Getting rid of Giolito would be a huge mistake. Go check the starting pitchers down in the minors before you give away an all star starting pitcher. It's really ugly down in AA and AAA relative to pitching! As Teddy KGB in the movie "Rounders" said, "Pay him...Pay that man his money!"

As far as Eloy goes, he has been injured way too often to get any value for him. The best thing is to keep him, get him in far better physical condition and hope he can be the player from 2019. 

25 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

If you can find buyers for Moncada, Grandal, Pollack, then go for it...no matter what they bring back! Abreu, Lynn, Sheets and Hendricks should bring a good haul of prospects. 

I would not touch Kopech, Cease, Giolito, Robert, Vaughn, Burger, Eloy and Anderson.

I know Giolito is a FA in 2024, but Hahn needs to get a deal done prior to then. Many people here assume Giolito is gone when he is FA. I don't think that's the case. You can see he loves playing here and being with his teammates. Getting rid of Giolito would be a huge mistake. Go check the starting pitchers down in the minors before you give away an all star starting pitcher. It's really ugly down in AA and AAA relative to pitching! As Teddy KGB in the movie "Rounders" said, "Pay him...Pay that man his money!"

As far as Eloy goes, he has been injured way too often to get any value for him. The best thing is to keep him, get him in far better physical condition and hope he can be the player from 2019. 

Trading Moncada makes pretty much no sense. Sure he’s been awful in a very SSS in 22, but we need more players like Moncada, not less. 

25 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Can’t see how Sheets has any value…but if they can trade him for another LHB, why not?   The problem is are the Sox really better with the equivalent of Daniel Vogelbach?

36 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

It’s a blessing in disguise for Hahn. It gives him an out without having to admit the team he constructed is flawed. Even healthy it’s not good enough to win a World Series. So why not use this clusterbuck of a season to retool?

Why would he be the right guy to do that after multiple failures?  

Do we even believe he has the authority to do so over TLR?

39 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would he be the right guy to do that after multiple failures?  

Do we even believe he has the authority to do so over TLR?

He’s not, fair point. But it’s a convenient time to retool and could save his job. He needs to start walking around fast and frustrated in the office like George Costanza. People in the organization will start to believe he’s being productive.

1 hour ago, NCsoxfan said:

He’s not, fair point. But it’s a convenient time to retool and could save his job. He needs to start walking around fast and frustrated in the office like George Costanza. People in the organization will start to believe he’s being productive.

That means Danny Tartabull to the White Sox for sure...

• Haha 2

On 5/29/2022 at 6:00 PM, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

Jerry Reinsdorf gonna pull the "bite of the apple" bullshit this offseason, and we all know it.

"The fanbase spoke and we listened. We signed two major free agents and they didn't pan out, so we won't be signing anyone that isn't a 34 year old reliever with TWTW."

I'd say, let these guys play out the rest of the season and fire everyone who isn't a player. Literally, everyone else. Fired. Except for Jason Benetti

Benetti would be the 1st one I'd fire

Edited by kgrittenburg
  • Love 1

They could move Lynn.  Fresh top of the rotation arm for the second half.  The 18.5 he is owed for '23 is obviously more than the 10 million we were on the hook for but the price on veteran starters has risen quite a bit.  

And as much as most like Lynn, if you still want to buy a veteran for '23, the 18.5 million back on the books should allow for someone relatively similar.  

12 hours ago, T R U said:

Lol seriously guys. The people responsible for us having to rebuild get to fail at rebuilding and now get a chance to retool. You know what the definition of insanity is right??

It is insane except for the fact that I can't see JR making a major change in the front office. And if he did, he just hire someone from within that would not do anyone any good.

Until there is new ownership nothing is going to change with the Sox.

For cripes sake JR hired a nearly 80 yr old man with a drinking problem to manage the team. No one could believe it at the time and I'm guessing 95% of us knew it was a huge mistake. 

And then going in to this season the FO knew this team needed a quality 2B and RF. So they do nothing at 2B and bring in a 34 yr old Pollock for RF. So now they are playing a 34 yr old washed up journey man 2B and a washed up 34 yr old right fielder/left fielder. 

At this point the untouchables are TA, Robert, Vaughn, Kopech, and Cease. I probably keep Engel as well. He is only 30 and is a very good 4th outfielder to hold on to. 

Also I would give Burger a lot of at bats the rest of this season and find out if he is a legit big league hitter or not. He is only 26 and if he is legit you can get rid of Moncada. 

• Like 1