Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
reiks12

Trade deadline

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Gavin Sheets for Willie Calhoun

That makes sense. I was thinking also Miguel andujar for sheets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Backwash07 said:

That makes sense. I was thinking also Miguel andujar for sheets. 

Nah man, Yankees fans would never give up Andujar for Sheets when they could get <insert big trade deadline chip> for him. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Say goodbye to Lenyn Sosa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#1 priority at the trade deadline has to be a quality LH bat. Doesn't matter what position he plays, he can DH if it's not an available spot on the field.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Backwash07 said:

That makes sense. I was thinking also Miguel andujar for sheets. 

That would be awful, andujar has been worthless since 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Backwash07 said:

That makes sense. I was thinking also Miguel andujar for sheets. 

“I don’t agree with some of the hitting philosophies from the new guys,” Calhoun said.  “I don’t process that (information) too well.  I’m not 6-4, 230 pounds; I can’t hit pop-up home runs.  I don’t have that leverage.”

When I saw this quote from Calhoun it hit me like a ton of bricks.  If the Rangers are looking for big guys who hit a lot of pop ups the Sox have their man.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Gavin Sheets for Willie Calhoun

I don't hate Calhoun as a buy low change of scenery guy, but I'm very skeptical the Sox are an org that could help Calhoun unlock something with his swing. His barrel rates have been putrid or worse every year of his career, at least Sheets can square the ball up if you make a mistake to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

“I don’t agree with some of the hitting philosophies from the new guys,” Calhoun said.  “I don’t process that (information) too well.  I’m not 6-4, 230 pounds; I can’t hit pop-up home runs.  I don’t have that leverage.”

When I saw this quote from Calhoun it hit me like a ton of bricks.  If the Rangers are looking for big guys who hit a lot of pop ups the Sox have their man.  

Oh he'd love working with the Sox then. He'll get to hit all the ground balls he desires. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hitting from the left side is clearly this team's biggest deficiency.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot to be had out there.

I filtered stats for LH/Switch hitters who have a WRC+ > 140 vs RHP in > 100 PA this season and are on a team with a win% < .450.

These are the results:

JP Crawford, SS/3B, 161 WRC+, signed through 2026

Jazz Chisolm, SS/2B, 158 WRC+, arb eligible in 2024, team control through 2026

Juan Soto LF/RF, 150 WRC+, currently arb eligible, team control through 2024

Josh Bell 1B/DH, 142 WRC+, free agent after 2022

The only one that won't cost a boatload to get is Josh Bell, who's also the worst of the four hitters and the least versatile defensively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Hitting from the left side is clearly this team's biggest deficiency.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot to be had out there.

I filtered stats for LH/Switch hitters who have a WRC+ > 140 vs RHP in > 100 PA this season and are on a team with a win% < .450.

These are the results:

JP Crawford, SS/3B, 161 WRC+, signed through 2026

Jazz Chisolm, SS/2B, 158 WRC+, arb eligible in 2024, team control through 2026

Juan Soto LF/RF, 150 WRC+, currently arb eligible, team control through 2024

Josh Bell 1B/DH, 142 WRC+, free agent after 2022

The only one that won't cost a boatload to get is Josh Bell, who's also the worst of the four hitters and the least versatile defensively.

Would the Yankees consider moving Gallo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Would the Yankees consider moving Gallo?

They might, but for me he'd be a last resort if the Sox can't get someone better and even then the Yankees would have to eat some money and not expect a big return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

They might, but for me he'd be a last resort if the Sox can't get someone better and even then the Yankees would have to eat some money and not expect a big return.

Honestly, I was thinking something pretty minor (Engel + C prospect) and we eat most of his remaining salary.  While no doubt a flawed hitter, he’s still putting up something like a 120 wRC+ against RHP this year and has historically been a good RF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, I was thinking something pretty minor (Engel + C prospect) and we eat most of his remaining salary.  While no doubt a flawed hitter, he’s still putting up something like a 120 wRC+ against RHP this year and has historically been a good RF.

Is a 120 wRC+ really worth bumping Vaughn, Pollock or Eloy out of the lineup vs RHP, because that's what you're doing if you acquire an OF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Is a 120 wRC+ really worth bumping Vaughn, Pollock or Eloy out of the lineup vs RHP, because that's what you're doing if you acquire an OF?

How many games have all three of those guys been healthy though?

What other position do you see being an option for a LH bat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2022 at 5:09 PM, ron883 said:

Say goodbye to Lenyn Sosa

There’s no way out of him becoming the next Marcus Semien, and us perpetually searching for the next Marcus Semien?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Would the Yankees consider moving Gallo?

Hasn't he been terrible?  I mean some guys just can't handle NYC.  It isn't a bad thing to try to pick up those kinds of pieces who might thrive in a little less bright of a media glare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hasn't he been terrible?  I mean some guys just can't handle NYC.  It isn't a bad thing to try to pick up those kinds of pieces who might thrive in a little less bright of a media glare.

Overall he’s been worth about 0.2 fWAR this year.  His wRC+ heading into today was ~95, but basically entirely driven by a ~120 vs. RHP.  The Yankees are the best team in baseball against righties so he’s not exactly a critical piece for them. I would love to get him out of New York and see if that propels his game a bit, but if not he’d still be one out better hitter against RHP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Hitting from the left side is clearly this team's biggest deficiency.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot to be had out there.

I filtered stats for LH/Switch hitters who have a WRC+ > 140 vs RHP in > 100 PA this season and are on a team with a win% < .450.

These are the results:

JP Crawford, SS/3B, 161 WRC+, signed through 2026

Jazz Chisolm, SS/2B, 158 WRC+, arb eligible in 2024, team control through 2026

Juan Soto LF/RF, 150 WRC+, currently arb eligible, team control through 2024

Josh Bell 1B/DH, 142 WRC+, free agent after 2022

The only one that won't cost a boatload to get is Josh Bell, who's also the worst of the four hitters and the least versatile defensively.

Thing is with baseball if you are a great player you can have both halves of a season go well. If you aren't a great player sometimes a great 1st half means the 2nd half might not go as well. Good 1st half usually means a guy was healthy . Bad 2nd half usually means isn't healthy.

Find a good player with a bad 1st half who is totally healthy and not too old and hope for a rebound in the 2nd half. That type of player will cost less than the good 1st half player.

Lower your standards on your filters in both WRC+ and PA's. Look for a guy who may be getting healthy and who can rebound in the 2nd half.

There aren't just 5 guys out there who could potentially help the Sox.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Gallo can play a below average but acceptable defensive RF to start for the Sox, the Yankees don't currently have an OFer to take his place.

Perhaps he will eventually be available after the Yankees acquire an OF.

Juan Soto is the perfect target (RF, LH) but Jerry's stomach for upcoming arbitration awards may outpace the prospects required to pry him away. That said, if Washington wants to dump future salary, they may be amenable, but a team will likely have to eat Corbin's massive deal as well, which means the Dodgers or Mets are the likely destinations.

https://calltothepen.com/2022/05/27/mlb-early-preview-top-trade-deadline-targets/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

While Gallo can play a below average but acceptable defensive RF to start for the Sox, the Yankees don't currently have an OFer to take his place.

Perhaps he will eventually be available after the Yankees acquire an OF.

Juan Soto is the perfect target (RF, LH) but Jerry's stomach for upcoming arbitration awards may outpace the prospects required to pry him away. That said, if Washington wants to dump future salary, they may be amenable, but a team will likely have to eat Corbin's massive deal as well, which means the Dodgers or Mets are the likely destinations.

https://calltothepen.com/2022/05/27/mlb-early-preview-top-trade-deadline-targets/

There's just no way they are willing to surrender all the pieces for Soto.

It would be Vera, Burger, Montgomery and Sosa/Ramos/Colas.

There's no way they are extending Soto into the $375 million range with JR still the owner, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Kimbrel gonna have a 5 Era at the deadline. Hahn salivating at his low price!

Do you think the Dodgers would take Burger, Ray?  Or should we throw in that Colas kid too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Kimbrel gonna have a 5 Era at the deadline. Hahn salivating at his low price!

Kelly or Graveman for Kimbrel.

One year Hahn'll be right.

They might consider it if Hendricks is out long term but Graveman would be the better closing option at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wegner said:

Do you think the Dodgers would take Burger, Ray?  Or should we throw in that Colas kid too?

Or Moncada.  Turner is reaching the end of the line, so they'll need a 3B...assuming Turner goes elsewhere and then Lux to SS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Or Moncada.  Turner is reaching the end of the line, so they'll need a 3B...assuming Turner goes elsewhere and then Lux to SS.

Do you really think anybody would want Moncada and his contract? If the White Sox make a big trade I'm expecting that Burger will be traded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×