6/1 Games

BamaDoc

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Does anyone know what's going on with Colas? 

James thinks it's an injury but he hasn't confirmed yet. The circumstances seemed a bit odd though. He took himself out of the game evidently after a bad day at the plate on the 28th while seeming very frustrated according to some Crawdads beat guy on Twitter?

• bmags pinned this topic
10 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Lenyn Sosa doing what he does. 2-2, 2B, 2 RBI, 1 R
Popeye Rodriguez 1-2 with a SB
Eloy 1-2 with a single
Thompson 3 scoreless innings with 2 K's
Montgomery 2-2, 2B, RBI

promising night on the farm so far

Colas 1-2 with a 3B and a K. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Bilous working as a follower tonight and the results have been good. 4 scoreless innings with 5 K's.

I wish the Sox were more aggressive generally in building upper minors pitching depth. Bilous is one of the guys they've touted as minor league depth and he has a 6 ERA in birmingham. a healthy organization should have more competent pitchers in AA/AAA than what the Sox do right now.

Edited by maxjusttyped

39 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Bilous working as a follower tonight and the results have been good. 4 scoreless innings with 5 K's.

I wish the Sox were more aggressive generally in building upper minors pitching depth. Bilous is one of the guys they've touted as minor league depth and he has a 6 ERA in birmingham. a healthy organization should have more competent pitchers in AA/AAA than what the Sox do right now.

Yeah it’s tough to do though with their draft strategy. They never have much money to spend so if you give slot bonuses in round one, take a bunch of prep players and sprinkle in a 5 round draft, it’s puts you in a bind. 

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah it’s tough to do though with their draft strategy. They never have much money to spend so if you give slot bonuses in round one, take a bunch of prep players and sprinkle in a 5 round draft, it’s puts you in a bind. 

I think there are major player dev issues in their organization, but this is something you would obviously have more first hand knowledge than I do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think there are major player dev issues in their organization, but this is something you would obviously have more first hand knowledge than I do.

There are some issues on the pitching side for sure. Can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit though. They needed more from the prep arms but 2020 really hurt. Just haven’t spent a ton of resources on college arms that weren’t cheap seniors. 

16 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

There are some issues on the pitching side for sure. Can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit though. They needed more from the prep arms but 2020 really hurt. Just haven’t spent a ton of resources on college arms that weren’t cheap seniors. 

I think it's still true for the hitting as well, even though the results we've seen this year are a lot better than in 2021. You don't reach the point where the system is at without multiple different things misfiring all at once. I don't think the reason so many of the best/most productive minor leaguers tend to cluster in a smallish number of organizations is coincidental. I think there are things at the minor league level that the Rays, Yankees, Dodgers, Guardians etc are doing to make their guys better that a lot of other teams are behind on. Of course, I'm sure a lot of it is also better scouting generally, so I can get how this becomes of a bit of a chicken or the egg type of discussion for a lot of people.

Charlotte got absolutely obliterated, but Yolbert got 2 of the team's 4 hits (Eloy and Adolfo were the other two).

It's like @Y2Jimmy0 and company said on the FutureSox pod - just call him up to see if he provides a spark at this point. And it clears space for Sosa in Charlotte when they deem him ready.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Quin said:

Charlotte got absolutely obliterated, but Yolbert got 2 of the team's 4 hits (Eloy and Adolfo were the other two).

It's like @Y2Jimmy0 and company said on the FutureSox pod - just call him up to see if he provides a spark at this point. And it clears space for Sosa in Charlotte when they deem him ready.

It all seems to line up so easily that I think that's likely the case. My guess is that they'll finish off this road trip and barring some Harrison magic of batting .500 over the next few games that he'll but cut loose on Monday. Romy/Yolbert make too much sense, especially with Anderson out. 

I think then either of those guys probably get until Anderson get back to prove their worth more than Leury, Mendick, and/or trade candidate. 

9 hours ago, ron883 said:

Cespedes only has 3 walks in 156 PAs this season... 1.92% BB%. Good lord. This guy isn't going to be a major leaguer. 

Correct. Unfortunately in the same camp as Adolfo. They have maybe 80% of the profile to being a great ballplayer. But 80% is a AAAA player who may have a cup of coffee or two. 

1 hour ago, he gone. said:

It all seems to line up so easily that I think that's likely the case. My guess is that they'll finish off this road trip and barring some Harrison magic of batting .500 over the next few games that he'll but cut loose on Monday. Romy/Yolbert make too much sense, especially with Anderson out. 

I think then either of those guys probably get until Anderson get back to prove their worth more than Leury, Mendick, and/or trade candidate. 

Romy has been hurt, just returned and played the field for the first time last night, and left in the middle of the game.  He's not an option right now.  

• bmags unpinned this topic