Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

Montas gets Sox speculation

Recommended Posts

Oh goodie.  How much will Hahn overpay in a desperate attempt to save the season?

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this team has much, much, much bigger needs than another really good SP.  

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think this team has much, much, much bigger needs than another really good SP.  

Unless they know they are going to shop Gio, adding Montas for a significant price makes little sense to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think this team has much, much, much bigger needs than another really good SP.  

Starting pitching is actually the only real strength of this team right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Oh goodie.  How much will Hahn overpay in a desperate attempt to save the season?

According to my mom, Leury Garcia, Adam Engel, and Danny Mendick.

She really doesn't want to trade Jake Burger and Gavin Sheets. Burger can be backup SS/2B and Sheets can be the backup OF, he'll just learn to play CF.

Now that I've typed it out, I'm scared of TLR getting ideas.

  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

It would be so White Sox to trade for Montas right now. 

Can he hit from the left side?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Seattle's willing to sell low, I might see if Frazier can get it together. At worst he's no worse than Leury/Harrison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please just get some more offense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think this team has much, much, much bigger needs than another really good SP.  

They signed Harrison, and they got Leury. They will sink or swim with them no matter how bad that is. Who knows, maybe they are looking at Yolbert. That’s going to be the extent of improving SB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Flash to Hahn: Giolito is as good, if not a better pitcher than Montas and two years younger. Just extend Giolito's contract because the fact is, the SP is one the few positive things on this club.

We don't have enough talent in the minors to be giving them away for Montas. This is the least of our problems. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Kids Can Play said:

New Flash to Hahn: Giolito is as good, if not a better pitcher than Montas and two years younger. Just extend Giolito's contract because the fact is, the SP is one the few positive things on this club.

We don't have enough talent in the minors to be giving them away for Montas. This is the least of our problems. 

 

Giolito will be far more expensive than Montas.  But... I still agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Giolito will be far more expensive than Montas.  But... I still agree.

He might cost more but he'll be worth it! Signing Giolito will cost losing zero prospects right now. Trading for Montas will cost the Sox trading away minor league prospects. However the downside is we'll still need to worry about signing Montas before he becomes a free agent after the 2023 season, or trade Montas before he becomes a FA and get prospects back for him. Based on Hahn's track record on trading away valuable prospects for ML talent, I'm not sure that's such a good idea. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Idk how Montas speculation became Pilkington / Cesar talk, but here y'all go:

 

 

 

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Idk how Montas speculation became Pilkington / Cesar talk, but here y'all go:

 

 

 

That's only bringing MORE attention to Hahn's laundry list of failures. By concentrating them all together in one thread sequestered away from the section of the site with the most page views...it magnifies them somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That's only bringing MORE attention to Hahn's laundry list of failures. By concentrating them all together in one thread sequestered away from the section of the site with the most page views...it magnifies them somehow.

I mean, that's fine? I even gave the thread a snappy, memorable name. 

I'm trying to keep the board organized so that if a Montas rumor does develop, posters don't wander in here and have to wonder why it's 5 pages of people relitigating Pilkington and Hernandez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Montas would’ve made sense at the beginning of the year to avoid trotting out gas cans like Keuchel & Velazquez for 1/3 of the season 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bad Hombre said:

Montas would’ve made sense at the beginning of the year to avoid trotting out gas cans like Keuchel & Velazquez for 1/3 of the season 

This is where having a good farm system would have helped. Unfortunately nobody wants any of our prospects, and the ones that COULD have gotten some discussion have looked absolutely lost (Sheets).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Oh goodie.  How much will Hahn overpay in a desperate attempt to save the season?

Do we really care? GET HIM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Trading for Montas will cost the Sox trading away minor league prospects

If this team doesn't win with this current talent pool, it's over ... who gives a toss about 2024+ that's the next rebuilding cycle ... win now at all costs. Get Montas, get offense. DO IT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

This is where having a good farm system would have helped. Unfortunately nobody wants any of our prospects, and the ones that COULD have gotten some discussion have looked absolutely lost (Sheets).

Someone will probably fix Kelley and turn him into a Cy Young candidate in five years.

While the Davis Martin start was encouraging, I just can't imagine this front office being able to replicate all the Twins' (starting) pitching moves of the last 12 months. 

We desperately need the equivalent of a rookie in Joe Ryan to replace Giolito and/or Lynn...otherwise, the budget is still stretched too thinly barring major shake ups like a Moncada trade...assuming a 10-25% pullback on payroll if they completely miss the playoffs.

(And the Twins also might get Kenta Maeda back off surgery to end the year. Another chess piece yet to come into play.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shago said:

Do we really care? GET HIM

Hahn might as well because he will be gone if things go completely off the rails.

Have to double down like the Padres did this offseason, and even then, their offense is still short Voldemort and potentially Benintendi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, shago said:

If this team doesn't win with this current talent pool, it's over ... who gives a toss about 2024+ that's the next rebuilding cycle ... win now at all costs. Get Montas, get offense. DO IT

Because if there is anything Sox fans are, it is forgiving when they make a move to try to improve the team and the players they give up turn into stars.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Because if there is anything Sox fans are, it is forgiving when they make a move to try to improve the team and the players they give up turn into stars.

Everything Hahn has done has backfired, minus Cueto and Graveman.

At this point, waiting for the Twins to come back to .500ish is not a winning strategy because Minnesota has a much better farm system and more payroll flexibility at the trade deadline.

Even the Guardians will likely be within 2-3 games of the Twins another month from now.  Where the Sox fall in there is anyone's guess.  They have absolutely no leeway to lose a top starting pitcher.  Lynn has to look closer to first four plus months last year than gassed/limping down the stretch, too.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×