Who Would Buy The White Sox?

FoxForce2

Ariel/Hobson-Lucas? Nike/Michael Jordan? Disney? Sony? The Sultan of Brunei?
CWS are currently valuated at approx. 1.75 bln and ranked 12-15 among MLB team/club in dollar numbers. Hard to go wrong with a baseball franchise.

18 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Mark Cuban if Reinsdorf would sell to him. I think companies are generally not allowed to own teams, although exceptions cam be made ie Nintendo

Mark Cuban buying would be the dream. Didn't MLB owners ice him out before? With Reinsdorf leading the way?

• Like 1

Something is telling me this is a risky time to buy a baseball team (though there's no sign any potential owners would agree with greg here). With Covid still around and other potential diseases (remember Covid shut down the crowds), the demographic males over 50 and what declining interest could mean to future TV and streaming deals, I sure wouldn't touch a sports franchise. I'm surprised Jerry doesn't sell. Just give his kids the $$ after paying off the investors. The team blows; the stadium is nothing to write home about. Good luck to the next owner.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

Jerry did tell his family to sell the White Sox and keep the Bulls after he passes. This article was from 2013, so perhaps there maybe a change of heart? It does sound like he intends to keep the franchise until the very end of his life. After he passes, it sounds like there will be quite a few interested in purchasing the organization from the Reinsdorf family and it's investors. Now although more Reinsdorf family members are getting in on the more stakes in the team, I find it hard to believe they won't listen to Jerry's wishes. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/big-league-stew/jerry-reinsdorf-tells-family-sell-white-sox-keep-161248308.html

I think the Sox are a sleeping giant for whoever might end up buying them eventually. There will be a lot of bidders if they become available. Just because Reinsdorf has under utilized the franchise, doesn't mean others won't see the potential that he never exploited.

If Jerry lives on for a number of more years and it comes after the Bears have moved to Arlington Heights, my guess is that would be the focus of new ownership. They could tap in to a far larger suburban market than the market they've currently enjoyed on the south side.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Sarava said:

I think the Sox are a sleeping giant for whoever might end up buying them eventually. There will be a lot of bidders if they become available. Just because Reinsdorf has under utilized the franchise, doesn't mean others won't see the potential that he never exploited.

If Jerry lives on for a number of more years and it comes after the Bears have moved to Arlington Heights, my guess is that would be the focus of new ownership. They could tap in to a far larger suburban market than the market they've currently enjoyed on the south side.

Do you think they would join the Bears in Arlington Heights?

I think the Sox would do great in the burbs, too bad they were turned down in their efforts to move to Addison back in the late 80's. 

I have always thought that somewhere near the Hillside Strangler was a great location with all those expressways converging there much like the Orange Crush near Anaheim Stadium. 

A stadium near that location would put them just about smack dab in the middle of the Metropolitan area.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I agree with this. The White Sox would be a good investment for someone who has some real ambition. The stadium is over 30 years old but is in good shape. And there are ways to build a deeper and wider fan base. It just hasn't been done recently.

The Reinsdorfs will definitely sell to a group.  Very little chance we ever get the rogue billionaire who treats the team as his toy and pushes the limits on spend.  

I'll take a wild stab and say Peak6 is the main investor.  They are Chicago based and have invested in sports franchises in the past.  I could see Obama on the board.  

And to those considering a Bears, Sox, Hawks, Bulls complex in Arlington Heights.... that would really be something.  Different, but likely good different.  I know there is a contingent that loves our local spots for pre and post game, but unfortunately I think you are a very small minority.  The vast majority of fans are Interstate>Parking Lot >Ballpark > Interstate.  The new project would likely have very little soul but I think would be a huge hit with the average fan and corporate type, which ultimately would be good for the club.

The wife of George Lucas bought 30% of the White Sox last year.  I was under the impression that she overpaid for the stock. I would like to think  she wants to buy the rest of the team when it goes up for sale.

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

The Reinsdorfs will definitely sell to a group.  Very little chance we ever get the rogue billionaire who treats the team as his toy and pushes the limits on spend.  

I'll take a wild stab and say Peak6 is the main investor.  They are Chicago based and have invested in sports franchises in the past.  I could see Obama on the board.  

And to those considering a Bears, Sox, Hawks, Bulls complex in Arlington Heights.... that would really be something.  Different, but likely good different.  I know there is a contingent that loves our local spots for pre and post game, but unfortunately I think you are a very small minority.  The vast majority of fans are Interstate>Parking Lot >Ballpark > Interstate.  The new project would likely have very little soul but I think would be a huge hit with the average fan and corporate type, which ultimately would be good for the club.

The White Sox would never move out of the southside nor would MLB allow them too. Would make 0 sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

The wife of George Lucas bought 30% of the White Sox last year.  I was under the impression that she overpaid for the stock. I would like to think  she wants to buy the rest of the team when it goes up for sale.

The value is definitely trending in the wrong direction...if they miss the postseason.

That said, new tv contract renegotiation in another 2-3 years so not in self interest to burn down all the way without changing the manager and GM first.

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

There is this.  If someone was willing to push this franchise like Moreno did the Angels or the Mets in recent times, there is a lot of value to be unlocked.  In theory there is a lot of the Chicago market still to be captured.

10 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Mark Cuban if Reinsdorf would sell to him. I think companies are generally not allowed to own teams, although exceptions cam be made ie Nintendo

Never happen.  JR already lead a coalition to block Cuban from buying another team.  There is zero chance he sells directly to him now.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There is this.  If someone was willing to push this franchise like Moreno did the Angels or the Mets in recent times, there is a lot of value to be unlocked.  In theory there is a lot of the Chicago market still to be captured.

Let's aspire to be more than the Mariners of the Midwest. Brewers at the VERY least.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Let's aspire to be more than the Mariners of the Midwest. Brewers at the VERY least.

Considering the Brewers are worth less than the Sox and 25th on the overall list, I would say that was a pretty dumb thing to do to your investment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Considering the Brewers are worth less than the Sox and 25th on the overall list, I would say that was a pretty dumb thing to do to your investment.

I meant more operationally, postseason success and attendance/stadium.  Obviously not a major market.

Cardinals or Giants are closer...but they will never be top 5-6 under JR.  Padres now as well in that group.

Peak was #7-8 around 2006.  But they should never be outside Top 12 if run well.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

I meant more operationally, postseason success and attendance/stadium.  Obviously not a major market.

Cardinals or Giants are closer...but they will never be top 5-6 under JR.  Padres now as well.

Peak was #7-8 around 2006.  But they should never be outside Top 12 if runwell.

The discussion was specifically around franchise valuation.

51 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The White Sox would never move out of the southside nor would MLB allow them too. Would make 0 sense.

Not arguing but just asking what makes you think the MLB would block it?