Who Would Buy The White Sox?

FoxForce2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Yes, and the Rays, A’s, Twins, Guardians are in the same boat.

Fine, let’s unrealistically be the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, Mets, Giants, etc.  There’s never going to be a perfect analogy.

We can never totally dominate a market like the Cardinals, for example.   The Marlins have two WS titles in the past 25 years, but nobody ever wants to emulate anything but their minor league/development approach.

Why couldn't they be the Mets, Braves, or Giants depending on a new ownership? Just because someone buys the Sox doesn't mean they automatically inherit being cheap fucks like the current group

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Highland said:

The Trumps will do to the Sox what they did to the country: Run the team into the ground.

I'd have an existential crises if a Trump were involved in White Sox ownership.  No good solution could come of it for me and I'd likely have to retire my jersey.

Edited by FoxForce2
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

I'd have an existential crises if a Trump were involved in White Sox ownership.  No good solution could come of it for me and I'd likely have to retire my jersey.

What if the Kushner's bought the team?

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2022 at 11:43 PM, ron883 said:

Mark Cuban buying would be the dream. Didn't MLB owners ice him out before? With Reinsdorf leading the way?

Yes they did blackballed him. In fact, as I recall, Cuban's bid for the Cubs was actually higher than Ricketts bid, but the owners led especially by our demented owner Reinsdorf didn't want Mark Cuban in MLB. I agree though, he would be an awesome owner for the Sox and a million times better than the worthless POS Reinsdorf. 

• Thanks 2

It needs to be some ridiculous rich billionaire like a Jeff Bezos who would spend whatever amounts of money to win. An owner who would aggressively spend on his payroll to get the top talent. A owner so wealthy, that he doesn't care if he eats millions on a loser player to DFA them. An owner who would spend the money to hire the best scouts, managers, coaches and trainers to make the team extremely successful not only at the ML level but in their minors.

Reinsdorf might be a billionaire, but only on paper. He is a cheap and demented one at that. We need a owner who has millions in liquid cash to spend. We need an owner who is passionate about winning and sees his team as a fun hobby and understands in a big market...you have to spend money to make money. 

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2022 at 9:45 PM, greg775 said:

Something is telling me this is a risky time to buy a baseball team (though there's no sign any potential owners would agree with greg here). With Covid still around and other potential diseases (remember Covid shut down the crowds), the demographic males over 50 and what declining interest could mean to future TV and streaming deals, I sure wouldn't touch a sports franchise. I'm surprised Jerry doesn't sell. Just give his kids the $$ after paying off the investors. The team blows; the stadium is nothing to write home about. Good luck to the next owner.

For the extremely wealthy is it not about buying a sports team to make a profit.  It's more about bragging rights.

5 hours ago, Highland said:

The Trumps will do to the Sox what they did to the country: Run the team into the ground.

Mods can you please delete this?  Flagged for stupidity alone but please keep this kind of shit off Sox Talk.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

Sox aren't for sale and they won't be . It is a profitable , stable franchise that has some growth potential. The South Loop and Bridgeport areas continue to gentrify

and it seems like the cubs could  lose some market share as the cost for their fans escalates, and of course, if the Sox win the next one.

2 hours ago, JTB said:

SW Wisconsin.  I coach college basketball in Iowa.  Plus, it’s a fantastic emoji. 😂

Do you know Mike McNieve?   He recommended Middleton/Cross Plains and Verona SD.

Lara Logan?

By, the way, I’m from Bettendorf and was Roy Marble’s tutor, haha.

Edited by caulfield12

I have nothing but respect for Ron's trolling abilities. A subtle mention of the name Trump as a potential buyer of the Sox and the smooth brains can't help but take the bait and derail the thread.

"The team would be run into the ground!!!!"

"Don't forget the bankruptcies!!"

They just can't resist when they see the name, "Trump."

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tray said:

Sox aren't for sale and they won't be . It is a profitable , stable franchise that has some growth potential. The South Loop and Bridgeport areas continue to gentrify

and it seems like the cubs could  lose some market share as the cost for their fans escalates, and of course, if the Sox win the next one.

According to at least some reports, JR has directed  that the franchise be sold upon his death. Born in 1936, he is younger than Clint Eastwood who is still making movies, I suppose JR could keep the fire burning a while longer. Then again he might not.

6 hours ago, tray said:

I would be surprised if the team wasn't sold after Reinsdorf's eventual passing (hopefully a long way away). And it will go for a ton more than 1.75 bil.

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Do you know Mike McNieve?   He recommended Middleton/Cross Plains and Verona SD.

Lara Logan?

By, the way, I’m from Bettendorf and was Roy Marble’s tutor, haha.

Don’t know either of them.  Both of those school districts are very good and easy access to Madison.

Bettendorf is playing in our tournament next weekend.  No Roy Marble’s though.  😁

8 minutes ago, JTB said:

Don’t know either of them.  Both of those school districts are very good and easy access to Madison.

Bettendorf is playing in our tournament next weekend.  No Roy Marble’s though.  😁

The closest we have had is DJ Carton and Ricky Davis (Davenport North) back in the day…

Edited by caulfield12