Who Would Buy The White Sox?

FoxForce2

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Not really. You'd be encroaching on one of the leagues biggest money makers (as well as the Brewers). No chance in hell MLB would go for that, nor does it make any sense from the White Sox perspective to remove yourself from the small area in which your fanbase actually exists.

What you want and what would be good for the team are two different things, especially when speaking in absolutes like you are.  

37 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

What you want and what would be good for the team are two different things, especially when speaking in absolutes like you are.  

I'm not speaking of what would even be good for the team (although throwing away 100+ years of their culture and branding would not be good for the Sox). But regardless, it'd be worse for the Cubs (and Brewers) and you don't piss off that cash cow if you're the league. The Sox have to stay will they are, move further south to the burbs, or move out of state (this one unlikely too with TV deals driving revenue). The Northside is the absolute last thing that would happen.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I'm not speaking of what would even be good for the team (although throwing away 100+ years of their culture and branding would not be good for the Sox). But regardless, it'd be worse for the Cubs (and Brewers) and you don't piss off that cash cow if you're the league. The Sox have to stay will they are, move further south to the burbs, or move out of state (this one unlikely too with TV deals driving revenue). The Northside is the absolute last thing that would happen.

exactly see the wrangling between nationals/orioles way back when

17 hours ago, bmags said:

the thing about football teams in the suburbs is there are 8 home games a year and they are all-day events and mostly during off-traffic hours. The thing about baseball teams is they play 81 game at home largely in early evening where you are asking people to get in their cars during rush hour and get in the traffic flow that is moving away from the city. All people in the suburbs imagine a suburban stadium in the suburb next door. Well, what if' it's on the opposite side of you? I am in a western suburb. When I have friends move north or south they may as well be moving out of state. When we see each other it's ...in the centrally located city.

Well you get the same thing with their current location. But probably to a larger degree. Who wants to drive to 35th and Shields on a Wednesday night? Not many of us.

There would be a lot of options if they looked in the suburbs. But I absolutely would focus on the Naperville/Aurora area if affordable land was available (big if of course). That area is as centralized as you can get. It's within reach of people up north like me (in West Dundee), and within reach of the south suburbs as well, where much of the fanbase is. And I don't know how many people know this, but Aurora (#2) and Naperville (#3) are now the 2nd and 3rd most populated cities in Illinois.

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

I'm really hoping either Mark Cuban or somebody from the Trump family buys

The sons don’t have nearly enough of their own money.

Kushner family/Ivanka could pull it off…especially throwing in all the Middle Eastern funds raised, but that might not go over all so well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/10/us/jared-kushner-saudi-investment-fund.html

But it would be THE one sure way to upset the fanbase even moreso than now…the Ricketts Family pales in comparison.  And a potential Hobson/Trump conflict would make it a no go from the beginning unless she was willing to dump all her shares and get out completely.

Edited by caulfield12

34 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The sons don’t have nearly enough of their own money.

Kushner family/Ivanka could pull it off…especially throwing in all the Middle Eastern funds raised, but that might not go over all so well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/10/us/jared-kushner-saudi-investment-fund.html

But it would be THE one sure way to upset the fanbase even moreso than now…the Ricketts Family pales in comparison.  And a potential Hobson/Trump conflict would make it a no go from the beginning unless she was willing to dump all her shares and get out completely.

Do we know how much of the team Hobson actually owns, if any? It's too bad the dumbass friends of the park stopped the Lucas museum from being built here. I feel that would better the chances of Hobson attempting to become majority owner of the team. 

25 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Do we know how much of the team Hobson actually owns, if any? It's too bad the dumbass friends of the park stopped the Lucas museum from being built here. I feel that would better the chances of Hobson attempting to become majority owner of the team. 

30% supposedly

On 6/2/2022 at 12:01 PM, Quin said:

Absolute shot in the dark:

Once Reinsdorf passes, Michael Jordan pulls a Loria/John Henry and attempts to purchase the Sox and Bulls.

Michael and family with keep the Bulls. They have been scooping up minority shares in the Sox the past few years for pennies on the dollar.

The Bulls will stay here, the Sox will play wherever jerry is able to shake down taxpayers for a new $1-$2 billion for a stadium. They will wait until the Bears leave so they can create more leverage.

Jerry will live until at least 2040, perhaps far longer.

On 6/2/2022 at 7:49 AM, GREEDY said:

The Reinsdorfs will definitely sell to a group.  Very little chance we ever get the rogue billionaire who treats the team as his toy and pushes the limits on spend.  

I'll take a wild stab and say Peak6 is the main investor.  They are Chicago based and have invested in sports franchises in the past.  I could see Obama on the board.  

And to those considering a Bears, Sox, Hawks, Bulls complex in Arlington Heights.... that would really be something.  Different, but likely good different.  I know there is a contingent that loves our local spots for pre and post game, but unfortunately I think you are a very small minority.  The vast majority of fans are Interstate>Parking Lot >Ballpark > Interstate.  The new project would likely have very little soul but I think would be a huge hit with the average fan and corporate type, which ultimately would be good for the club.

The UC is a cash cow.

The Bulls and Hawks ain"t going nowhere.

Edited by GradMc

On 6/2/2022 at 9:49 AM, caulfield12 said:

I meant more operationally, postseason success and attendance/stadium.  Obviously not a major market.

Cardinals or Giants are closer...but they will never be top 5-6 under JR.  Padres now as well in that group.

Peak was #7-8 around 2006.  But they should never be outside Top 12 if run well.

Yeah I'd love to be as operationally sound as the Brewers or Mariners. Those 2 organizations are swimming in championships

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah I'd love to be as operationally sound as the Brewers or Mariners. Those 2 organizations are swimming in championships

Yes, and the Rays, A’s, Twins, Guardians are in the same boat.

Fine, let’s unrealistically be the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, Mets, Giants, etc.  There’s never going to be a perfect analogy.

We can never totally dominate a market like the Cardinals, for example.   The Marlins have two WS titles in the past 25 years, but nobody ever wants to emulate anything but their minor league/development approach.