Next four months…keys to survival that won’t cost as much

caulfield12

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

You’re speaking about these moves as if Jerry Reinsdorf doesn’t own this team.

On the one hand, he’s nickel and diming Giolito over 50k, penny pinching in all the wrong places, and if we go back further, playing weird optics games with the unintentional intentional non-sign of Machado. On the other hand, he massively overpaid for Abreu on a questionable contract which it turns out he was largely accidentally right about. On the one hand, he spent the better part of 4 seasons in a bottom of the barrel rebuild to hoard talent with shrewd GM trades that proved Hahn seemed to know what he was doing, on the other, he hires La Russa to manage the team. 

This is all to say that Reinsdorf is all about caprice and personal relationships, and “hunches” and “feelings” about things, seemingly. 

One thing that is clear: he loves Abreu. So Abreu ain’t going anywhere until he bottoms out. He’s already on his way back to perfectly fine DH numbers, especially in this current clown car of AAAA busters (Sheets, Harrison, etc). I personally believe Moncada will be fine but needs a month off.

Grandal does seem like a lost cause. 

Given it’s Jerry and Tony, I try to acquire a catcher immediately, live with Leury at 2nd and Vaughn partially in right, partially in left, leave Abreu at first, and hope like hell this talented team can get hot. I still think they can. 

Maybe they stick with Harrison/Leury at second after the disaster last year  with Hernandez...but a lefty like Benintendi or Naquin or any of the names listed above wouldn't break the already limited prospect bank.

I will just assume Benintendi to SD until he ends up elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was watching MLBN, and starting June 10th, the White Sox have the easiest schedule in baseball the rest of the season, based on current winning percentage.

As long as they are confident they can beat up on the AL Central, this matters.

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was watching MLBN, and starting June 10th, the White Sox have the easiest schedule in baseball the rest of the season, based on current winning percentage.

Which is why they will stick it out through the TDL at the very least...this is not the Indians juggernaut of the late 90s the Sox are facing off with.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:02 PM, flavum said:

Start scoring runs and winning games.

You know... that's a pretty crazy idea... but it just might work!

I've been looking at stats and I've discovered that teams that score more runs than their opponents tend to win more games. I think the Sox should employ this strategy as well.

:D

On 6/5/2022 at 12:05 PM, The Kids Can Play said:

A huge mistake to resign Abreu who is aging and will be 35 with significant declining numbers across the board compared to his career averages. Vaughn needs to be the full time first baseman going forward.

Get rid of Abreu now and get some good prospects or don't trade Abreu and sign him to a 2-4 year contract and watch his numbers continue to decline! Then when it's too late, you won't get any good prospects for him, when his contract is almost done. 

Finally if you don't trade Abreu at the deadline, you have no guarantee he signs with the Sox again i 2023. He might just go as a FA to a winning club. Then you got nothing for him. 

Then again we do have the most demented and ignorant owner in all sports, who has a track record for being loyal to some players and coaches for all the wrong reasons!

Abreu is far more valuable to this franchise than you realize.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:27 PM, caulfield12 said:

Trade for Benintendi and Adam Frazier OR Brandon Drury.

Not Frazier and is .637 OPS again; Drury is having a career year, but Moncada turning it around is probably more likely than Drury keeping it going. At this point, I wouldn't trade for any 2B; the 40 man and upper minors are clogged with them.  

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Not Frazier and is .637 OPS again; Drury is having a career year, but Moncada turning it around is probably more likely than Drury keeping it going. At this point, I wouldn't trade for any 2B; the 40 man and upper minors are clogged with them.  

Sure, we had the same problem with too many outfielders in the minors but now Walker and Gonzalez are elsewhere.

Frazier completely went in the tank after his trade last year…but 637 is like 677 or 687 a year or two ago, and we can’t redo the offseason to sign Chris Taylor for that same positional flexibility.  In the end, they will keep Leury but Harrison has to at least get up to the 575-625 range to be a viable everyday player.

Mendick, Romy, Sosa, Sanchez…none of them profile as major league regulars to the majority of outside scouts…I guess Sosa would be the choice with most upside but they will trade for someone at the big league level first.

And we can’t argue Drury will automatically sink while arguing that 637 is what Frazier is when he made the All Star team and was well over 800 ops for the first half last year.

2 hours ago, soxfaninfl said:

Abreu is far more valuable to this franchise than you realize.

Over the years Abreu has been extremely valuable to this franchise, but that value right now isn't worth watching him get older and see his production go down. Now while he is still valuable, it's time to get some prospects, preferably pitching. 

We we're already deep at first base. It's about time we put Vaughn at his natural position first base and quit making him play out of position. 

You must also weight the risk that he is a FA after this season and if he walks then we get nothing, as opposed to getting something right now we can bank for the future.

18 hours ago, soxfaninfl said:

I am just not ready to jettison the team’s veteran leader based on a couple months of ABs. The track record is there and Abreu has always been a slow starter. I love Vaughn but I really don’t think he is ready for those big shoes.

He's been getting on base at a really nice clip even though it's seemed he's been an easy out for most of the year. It kind of surprised me when he was asked in the spring about his future, and he wasn't committed to playing at all, or playing with the White Sox if he played  You never know what his true age really is. Contreras admitting to being older than listed. El Duque was a fossil when he played for the Sox. If Jose is 38 or 39, would anyone be surprised?. Chances are he will come back, but if not, I really think Vaughn is about to take off. He'd be fine at 1B every day.

On 6/7/2022 at 6:34 PM, soxfaninfl said:

I am just not ready to jettison the team’s veteran leader based on a couple months of ABs. The track record is there and Abreu has always been a slow starter. I love Vaughn but I really don’t think he is ready for those big shoes.

Yeah, I don't really think trading Abreu for a couple B- prospects is the solution.  This division is still winnable.  I am not interested in the Sox trading some of their few valuable prospects this summer, but they should be able to find a LH OF and 2B on expiring deals that can help.  Drury is good fit and shouldn't cost much.  

Gotta be willing to sell Lynn right?

Unless Hahn is particularly bullish on Lynn specifically, one would think they could get a Top 10 (our system) player and even more if they ate all of 2022's money.  Then turn right around and sign 1 year vet starter as a replacement this winter.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Gotta be willing to sell Lynn right?

Unless Hahn is particularly bullish on Lynn specifically, one would think they could get a Top 10 (our system) player and even more if they ate all of 2022's money.  Then turn right around and sign 1 year vet starter as a replacement this winter.  

I highly doubt the Sox will trade any assets, let alone ones controlled in 2023, unless they’re 10+ GB in late July. With the Sox upcoming schedule, the Twins upcoming schedule and the rest of the circumstances surrounding those two teams, that seems very unlikely. 

1 hour ago, tray said:

Trade Vaughn and Sheets  to the Cubs for Chris Morel and Wilson Contreras,  Put Morel in RF.

DFA  Harrison and AJP.

Then we would lose Contreras to FA and not have a 1B the next five years.

Cubs don't have any compelling desire to add Sheets.

Edited by caulfield12