Roster Crunch: Burger, Sheets, Mendick, Harrison, Garcia

CentralChamps21

Unless he's injured, Garcia isn't going anywhere. It'd be preferable if he only started 2 times a week on average but we all know Tony loves him. Sheets is the obvious choice to head down currently. It'd be nice if they could keep Burger here and start him a decent amount of games up here, if not then AAA being able to start every day is more important in my opinion. I'd somehow love to get a 3rd catcher since Tony loves starting both of ours, but guessing that's not possible.

I think the TA injury indirectly saved Harrison from being DFA’d at the time Dallas was DFA’d. Once Timmy comes back at the end of June, and Mendick is still out-producing Harrison, I just can’t see the point of keeping him around. Sure he has his spurts of offense and his glove is sound, but it’s clear that he is one of the worse bats in the lineup in a year that many of the normal producers are having down years and/or are hurt.

As much as I appreciate Mendick for depth purposes and I prefer him at 2B to Harrison,  I think a true veteran upgrade is in order at 2B at the trade deadline. The two guys I’ve been looking at are: 

Adam Frazier and Jean Segura.

Frazier will for sure be on the block with Seattle’s current situation and will come cheaper since his numbers are down at the moment. (Granted much better than Harrison) And he’s in the final year before free agency.  
Segura is having another solid year for Philly and does have a club option for 2023 so he brings in more value not only this year but as an option for next season as well. The issue here is that it appears Philly found some new life-post Girardi and Dombrowski was brought in to win and add to the roster, not be apart of a “retool” or tear down. Should be interesting to see it all unfold. It would be nice to see Hahn finally get creative with the roster “augmention” at the deadline. 

1 hour ago, GreatScott82 said:

I think the TA injury indirectly saved Harrison from being DFA’d at the time Dallas was DFA’d. Once Timmy comes back at the end of June, and Mendick is still out-producing Harrison, I just can’t see the point of keeping him around. Sure he has his spurts of offense and his glove is sound, but it’s clear that he is one of the worse bats in the lineup in a year that many of the normal producers are having down years and/or are hurt.

As much as I appreciate Mendick for depth purposes and I prefer him at 2B to Harrison,  I think a true veteran upgrade is in order at 2B at the trade deadline. The two guys I’ve been looking at are: 

Adam Frazier and Jean Segura.

Frazier will for sure be on the block with Seattle’s current situation and will come cheaper since his numbers are down at the moment. (Granted much better than Harrison) And he’s in the final year before free agency.  
Segura is having another solid year for Philly and does have a club option for 2023 so he brings in more value not only this year but as an option for next season as well. The issue here is that it appears Philly found some new life-post Girardi and Dombrowski was brought in to win and add to the roster, not be apart of a “retool” or tear down. Should be interesting to see it all unfold. It would be nice to see Hahn finally get creative with the roster “augmention” at the deadline. 

Segura is hurt and out for months. Brandon Drury makes some sense tho. 

I think it's too easy of a call to DFA Harrison and send Sheets down when Eloy and TA come back.  Any other moves, like sending Mendick down again, wouldn't make sense.  They ate the cost of Keuchel, they can eat the cost of Harrison.  It was a bad signing, and I'll fully admit I was okay with it at the time.  Sheets needs more reps at AAA.  He's been pretty much overmatched all season.

Then, moving forward, Mendick gets the bulk of starts at 2B.  Leury will get some starts at 2B and corner OF.  Burger gets the occasional start at 3B and some DH time.

Again, this makes too much sense, so I fully expect something different to happen.

Unless Harrison get's ridiculously hot, it's him and Sheets.  I would stick with Mendick/Burger for now and than at the deadline, if they begin to scuffle, look to trade for a 2nd Baseman or call up Sousa or Sanchez.  You have to keep Burger as well.  I am not in favor of moving Moncada to 2nd either.  We need his defense at 3rd.  

7 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Segura is hurt and out for months. Brandon Drury makes some sense tho. 

Wow! Didn’t realize the injury to segura was that bad.  Thanks for the update. Brandon Drury is another name t at makes sense too. 👍

17 minutes ago, zisk said:

I see Burger in the title of this thread and have to chuckle. He's obviously the best player on our team. Not on the list, our

whole stinking team.

Yeah they've got to try him out at 2B. He can DH until Eloy comes back. Harrison and Sheets are the ones who have to go.

4 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah they've got to try him out at 2B. He can DH until Eloy comes back. Harrison and Sheets are the ones who have to go.

The Sox play bad defenders out of position all of the time. If they aren't willing to put Burger at 2B, he has to be incredibly bad there.  Like Carlton Fisk in LF bad.

• Like 1

Is my way of thinking antiquated in that you want your strongest defenders up the middle?
Until last season I had never heard of so many people suggesting to move questionable defenders from the corner infield spots to 2B.

The only other time I have heard of a move to 2B for subpar defenders is if said "subpar" defense came at SS.

...am I missing something?