Yoan Moncada seven years ago

caulfield12

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

It’s like the Sox decided they wanted to be like the Astros who jumped all over Sox pitching in the playoffs with their good contact and it’s blown up in their face. I don’t see how Mennichino hasn’t been relieved of his duties.

Yep, the org decided we need to swing more... just as mlb was deadening the ball.  

How many bad calls does this front office get to make?

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, reiks12 said:

hes just much weaker. His EV and hardhit numbers are nowhere close to his 2019 levels. On top of him being weaker, whatever Menechino has been working with him on has led him to an increasing groundball%. 10% more groundballs this season. Hes not even hitting linedrives either. Its either in the ground or a popout.

As such, he’s been playing out of position. To have a slap hitter (that doesn’t even hit) at one of the infield corners is shooting the lineup in the foot. So what do you do? What do, you do?

I'm so done with Yoan Moncada.  He hasn't earned to even be on the ballclub at this point.  

Jake Burger should be the starting 3rd baseman for the rest of the year.   Moncada should ride the bench, or the IL if they have reason to put him there.  

If the Sox could get anyone to take on even half of Moncada's remaining contract, they should dump him in a minute.  Addition by subtraction.   He's owed $41M over the next 2 years.  We thought Keuchel was death to the pitching staff.  Moncada is death to the lineup.  He's not even outhitting Josh Harrison or Leury Garcia, who are both pathetic. 

Edited by VAfan

16 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I'm so done with Yoan Moncada.  He hasn't earned to even be on the ballclub at this point.  

Jake Burger should be the starting 3rd baseman for the rest of the year.   Moncada should ride the bench, or the IL if they have reason to put him there.  

If the Sox could get anyone to take on even half of Moncada's remaining contract, they should dump him in a minute.  Addition by subtraction.   He's owed $41M over the next 2 years.  We thought Keuchel was death to the pitching staff.  Moncada is death to the lineup.  He's not even outhitting Josh Harrison or Leury Garcia, who are both pathetic. 

Add $5 million for the 2025 buyout.

Do you think that there is any team that would trade an asset for Moncada, let alone take on that contract? It seems pretty doubtful. At this point, it might be worth his trying to retool his game. Forget about trying to be a power hitter, choke up on the bat and start trying to become a contact hitter. Use his speed and his good eye to get on base and run. Perhaps he might want to give up switch hitting for a while, to make the changes a little easier. Although he has actually looked a little better from the right side. Nevertheless, hitting from just the left side, might simplify things.  He just looks lost. He is back to taking called third strikes, which he did twice today. Something in his game needs to change. 

Jake Burger has earned a spot in the lineup and when Eloy comes back he is a better candidate to DH. Moncada has experience playing second base. Jake really has no position, other than third base. I know that it's not a popular suggestion on this board, but why not let Yoan play second and if he still can't even outhit Mendick, Leury and Harrison, then he probably needs to be benched. That contract is going to become a real albatross, if Moncada can't produce. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Do you think that there is any team that would trade an asset for Moncada, let alone take on that contract? It seems pretty doubtful.

Im sure there are teams with an analytical mindset that would give up assets for Moncada. He hammers the ball when he can. I wouldnt doubt that the Giants could fix him.

33 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Im sure there are teams with an analytical mindset that would give up assets for Moncada. He hammers the ball when he can. I wouldnt doubt that the Giants could fix him.

If they would take that contract, I'd take whatever they would trade for him. I'd rather see the Sox spend that money on another player. I'm as disillusioned, as most, with his game. When thinking about how much money he has been paid and guaranteed. it's so frustrating. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

If they would take that contract, I'd take whatever they would trade for him. I'd rather see the Sox spend that money on another player. I'm as disillusioned, as most, with his game. When thinking about how much money he has been paid and guaranteed. it's so frustrating. 

That’s all on Hahn. And he has been a much better fWAR/$$$ allocated player than the likes of Rodon, Keuchel and Jimenez for his Sox career…at least until 2022.

The other change in his approach that Moncada could try is to emulate Tim's willingness to hit to the opposite field. That ability to take the outside breaking pitches to right field has turned Anderson into a perennial .300 hitter. Moncada has generally been strictly a pull hitter, but with little success. One of the biggest advantages of Tim's approach, which is often overlooked, is that it allows the hitter a little more time to see the pitch and to let it get closer to the plate, which also allows it to finish its breaking trajectory. 

The shift is another factor that argues for employing a hands before the barrel of the bat approach. If defenses are going to continue to play Moncada as a pull hitter, the logical response should be to try to exploit the open side of the field. Perhaps Yoan has been advised to try hitting to the opposite field, but has rejected the suggestion. Whatever the case, it's time for him to make some changes, because what he is doing is clearly not working.

35 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The other change in his approach that Moncada could try is to emulate Tim's willingness to hit to the opposite field. That ability to take the outside breaking pitches to right field has turned Anderson into a perennial .300 hitter. Moncada has generally been strictly a pull hitter, but with little success. One of the biggest advantages of Tim's approach, which is often overlooked, is that it allows the hitter a little more time to see the pitch and to let it get closer to the plate, which also allows it to finish its breaking trajectory. 

The shift is another factor that argues for employing a hands before the barrel of the bat approach. If defenses are going to continue to play Moncada as a pull hitter, the logical response should be to try to exploit the open side of the field. Perhaps Yoan has been advised to try hitting to the opposite field, but has rejected the suggestion. Whatever the case, it's time for him to make some changes, because what he is doing is clearly not working.

If you look closely, he has been hitting much closer to the front of the batter's box recently...making it harder to wait until the last millisecond to make the decision to swing or not.  Which means he has to commit even earlier regardless of the pitch, leading to more balls pulled or hit off the end of the bat as he loads up.

There is a point when an important, actually critical, piece of your championship dream isn't playing well but it's only a couple games so you keep him in. On the other end is the point you have to realize playing everyday isn't helping and you have to pull him from the lineup.

Too soon or too late create equally bad outcomes. I think fans would pull guys too soon, especially if they are unpopular to begin with. Managers tend to leave them in too long. 

I don't see a WS hope without him playing 90% of himself so just dumping him to save a few dollars of the team's money doesn't make sense to me. They won't find a replacement with his upside. So how to fix this?

Either today ( preferably) or tomorrow (one last last chance) he needs to sit for a few days  This week find a couple matchups in his favor as a pitch hitter. 

Other factor: the most coachable players are the most at risk when new coaches come in with a different outlook. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:42 AM, JoshPR said:

I feel him and Robert are built like body builders not ball players so flexibility is an issue

I saw Moncada at spring training when he first came up and I felt the same way.  Simply does not "look like" a baseball player. Add to that his apparent inability to smile and even fake like he's happy to be here....I've simply lost interest.

On 6/12/2022 at 10:10 AM, Texsox said:

There is a point when an important, actually critical, piece of your championship dream isn't playing well but it's only a couple games so you keep him in. On the other end is the point you have to realize playing everyday isn't helping and you have to pull him from the lineup.

Too soon or too late create equally bad outcomes. I think fans would pull guys too soon, especially if they are unpopular to begin with. Managers tend to leave them in too long. 

I don't see a WS hope without him playing 90% of himself so just dumping him to save a few dollars of the team's money doesn't make sense to me. They won't find a replacement with his upside. So how to fix this?

Either today ( preferably) or tomorrow (one last last chance) he needs to sit for a few days  This week find a couple matchups in his favor as a pitch hitter. 

Other factor: the most coachable players are the most at risk when new coaches come in with a different outlook. 

This is a good post. This team is going nowhere if we are 30th in the league in walks. I feel like we need to keep running him out there until he figures it out. This one day off, one day on stuff probably isn't helping.

Unless there is something bothering him, or going on, that we are not aware of.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoeBatadatz said:

I saw Moncada at spring training when he first came up and I felt the same way.  Simply does not "look like" a baseball player. Add to that his apparent inability to smile and even fake like he's happy to be here....I've simply lost interest.

I'd like him even less if he was smiling while batting .099

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

very encouraging, hopefully hes getting hitting help from outside the org.

Up to .181 and .527 OPS, or less than half of Goldschmidt’s MLB lead and 0.07 clear of Javy Baez.

Hopefully that homer brought him back and took all the pressure off his shoulders.  We shall see the next two series if it was permanent change or just a temporary Tigers’ blip.

(In fact, Detroit now has 4 of the 6 worst qualified hitters in the entire majors by OPS.)

Edited by caulfield12

Very hard to gauge the significance of today's 5 hit performance, with the last 2 coming off of position player pitchers. Let's hope he can continue to at least have decent at bats and productivity, going forward. It's a start, but that's all it is  I'm rooting for him.

• Haha 1