Leury Garcia - Tony La Russa and Rick Hahn and beyond....

DFA? No team would take him? C'mon. You're just hating now. He was a 4.2 WAR guy with 23 homers and a .420OBP last year. 

Also just to fill you in ... they sent down Bart ... with nobody in front of him. Because he sucks and trying win ballgames. something Yaz helps teams do. Poor take all around here by you. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, he gone. said:

DFA? No team would take him? C'mon. You're just hating now. He was a 4.2 WAR guy with 23 homers and a .420OBP last year. 

Also just to fill you in ... they sent down Bart ... with nobody in front of him. Because he sucks and trying win ballgames. something Yaz helps teams do. Poor take all around here by you. 

Fine, they have Casali and Wynns right now.  There are maybe 7-8 catchers in the entire sport doing "pretty well" offensively right now.

We are not talking the 32 year old Grandal of last season.  We are talking the banged up (can hardly play in 50% of team's games as an actual catcher) 33 year old version this season.

SF is not going to bring in someone who can't throw out opposing baserunners or block pitches...they value defense too much, hence their preference for Casali right now.

They're also not going to willingly take on $28-30 million in salary.   They're smart...they will get Hahn to pay 40-60% of the remaining money, then with risk level mitigated, they'll happily take him off the White Sox hands as a much better gamble.

I would love to hear from all the other SoxTalk posters who would take on the entire Grandal contract...without even having to trade anything in return.

Edited by caulfield12

Ah, you're right.  No way he can rebound here on out. Stupid me. 

Definitely not his legs affecting his hard hit and barrels. And definitely couldn't get better if his stubborn manager and stubborn player just take a 10 day IL stint. I've heard that this is a debilitating leg disease and he'll be in a wheelchair by his 34th birthday.  And definitely no value next year on Yaz when the shift ends. Nope he's not the 13th most shifted against player. His value is dead. I'm sure the Giants wouldn't consider any of that because of Casali and Bart. Phew. Thank god you talked some sense into me. 

Right Soxtalk posters? I would love to hear from other people!!!

On 6/9/2022 at 8:04 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't want to call out any posters specifically, but I am so tired of reading that Leury Garcia is a "good" utility player. He's not. He's one of the worst players in MLB (this year he has been the 2nd worst player in baseball). Leury Garcia has never been good. He's never been a player you have to lock up - he's always been replaceable (look at how Mendick is playing in limited time this year). The White Sox currently have two players in the minor leagues that would absolutely outproduced Leury Garcia for a minimum wage (Lenyn Sosa and Yolbert). 

After last night, Leury Garcia now has a 24 wRC+. The worst in baseball for anyone with over 100 PA's. 

Since Leury Garcia entered the league, of players with at least 2000 PA's in that span, Leury Garcia has been the 17th worst player in MLB via fWAR. By that same demographic, he's been the 9th worst hitter with a 76 wRC+. By every measure, Leury Garcia is one of the worst players who has been given any sort of consistent playing time in the past decade.

While Leury Garcia leading off is inexplicable - Leury Garcia had the lowest wRC+ for a leadoff hitter this late in a season (with greater than 100 AB's) in at least the past 50 years - the onus can't lie solely on the shoulders of Tony La Russa. That said, the decisions of La Russa have just been inexplicable. La Russa's decision making has gotten so bad that other teams announcers are calling them out publicly: 

Rick Hahn was supposedly serious about winning, but he gave one of the worst players in baseball a three year contract which limited funds to allocate (apparently). Not only did he give him a three year contract, but he was one of the Sox first moves. Rick Hahn viewed Leury Garcia as a must lock up.  Beyond that, this has happened multiple off-seasons now; Rick Hahn feels the need to "beat the market" for players who would likely have no market. No one in baseball was going to give Leury Garcia three years at 16+ million dollars, because as I laid out above, Leury Garcia is awful at baseball.

This team made fans sit through a rebuild for years under the guise of spending and supporting the group once they came into their contention window. I guess Rick Hahn meant supporting them with dollars spent on replaceable utility players who are on the wrong side of 30. Eduardo Escobar, who cost the same yearly as Josh Harrison/Leury Garcia has been worth 1.1 fWAR. That's 2.2 more fWAR than Garcia/Harrison combined despite having similar total PA's. 

If Rick Hahn was serious about winning, he would release Leury Garcia and Josh Harrison today. He would call up Yolbert and Sosa. There was no excuse for Hahn to spend 10+ million dollars on two players who were easily two of the worst players in MLB. I'm tired of watching Leury Garcia and Josh Harrison. How Rick Hahn executed this off-season is baffling. 

And LEURY GARCIA IS NOT A GOOD UTILITY PLAYER. Please stop saying that.

So is Tony going by his book of baseball wisdom when he constantly plays Leury or is he going by his gut  when he insists on playing and batting him out of position.

And who the heck signs Leury to a three year contract anyway...gotta believe Tony pressured Hahn into signing Leury. RH can't be that stupid.....or can he?

Just now, A-Train to 35th said:

So is Tony going by his book of baseball wisdom when he constantly plays Leury or is he going by his gut  when he insists on playing and batting him out of position.

And who the heck signs Leury to a three year contract anyway...gotta believe Tony pressured Hahn into signing Leury. RH can't be that stupid.....or can he?

I'm sure TLR had some influence in Leury re-signing, but let's not give Hahn the benefit of the doubt for being stupid. Just go look at his veteran signings to see the definition of stupid. 

On 6/9/2022 at 8:44 AM, BrittBurnsFan said:

TLR acted like Leury's agent last summer...the praise given to Leury from TLR was over the top!  I think TLR loves Leury...but TLR isn't the one who gave Leury a 3 year deal.  

In my mind,  I can see Tony telling his buddy JR that he badly needs a player like Leury (clubhouse pet I mean rat), and you'd better sign him before someone else does.

• Like 1