I truly think Jerry will make TLR step down after yesterday

ron883

1 minute ago, bmags said:

The only way Tony gets fired is if he says he supports the mlbpa or an equivalent nightmare for JR. Some boundaries you cannot cross.

I sure could go for a queso fundido right about now

57 minutes ago, bmags said:

The only way Tony gets fired is if he says he supports the mlbpa or an equivalent nightmare for JR. Some boundaries you cannot cross.

Russia over Ukraine?  With the historical treatment of ethnic/religious minority groups to consider...maybe someone should just feed him that randomly in a postgame to see if he will bite. 

Abortion rights?  Automatic weapons legislation?

Fidel Castro already wiped out Ozzie and Bernie Sanders...probably won't fall for that, might give some Jose Canseco anecdotes though.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Russia over Ukraine?  With the historical treatment of ethnic/religious minority groups to consider...maybe someone should just feed him that randomly in a postgame to see if he will bite. 

Fidel Castro already wiped out Ozzie and Bernie Sanders...probably won't fall for that, might give some Jose Canseco anecdotes though.

I think we're over 90% united here against Tony LaRussa managing the White Sox.  Don't spoil it by bringing politics into this.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Serious question - does anyone here actually think that was a good move or buy his explanation?

I buy his explanation that Turner is a tough out, and with a base open, walking him makes sense. I could easily see Muncy hitting a ground ball out. IF the data he was using (doubtful he had actual data)  truly showed Turner was a tougher out than Muncy in that situation (proven wrong) again I'd buy his explanation. 

Now shall we review the 100 reasons why it was a monumentally dumb strategy? Just to get started . . .

There clearly was a better way. With a 1-2 count you could pitch around him and if he chases a bad pitch you win, if he doesn't he walks.

it's early June why over manage? 

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I buy his explanation that Turner is a tough out, and with a base open, walking him makes sense. I could easily see Muncy hitting a ground ball out. IF the data he was using (doubtful he had actual data)  truly showed Turner was a tougher out than Muncy in that situation (proven wrong) again I'd buy his explanation. 

Now shall we review the 100 reasons why it was a monumentally dumb strategy? Just to get started . . .

There clearly was a better way. With a 1-2 count you could pitch around him and if he chases a bad pitch you win, if he doesn't he walks.

it's early June why over manage? 

Oh I would have actually given him credit if any version of the stats supported him. I’m somewhat entertaining myself for checking If there’s any version of this that works.

If I go to After a 1-2 count, Turner has 935 career PAs, a .226 average and a .618 OPS.

Hes just bravely bullshitting/gaslighting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh I would have actually given him credit if any version of the stats supported him. I’m somewhat entertaining myself for checking If there’s any version of this that works.

If I go to After a 1-2 count, Turner has 935 career PAs, a .226 average and a .618 OPS.

Playing a theoretical game here. If a manager knew when those .226 hits were going to happen, and walked him instead, they would out manage the person who couldn't. Call it "gut", "baseball instinct" etc. 

Or another way - the baseline is .226 and if a manager based all decisions on that, they would produce average results. A manager that could see the future and make decisions based on that would be above average. 

Perhaps at some point in his career he had that crystal ball. But it's clearly not there now and he's desperate to find that old magic. 

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Would you want to drill down to see his average after 1-2 with runners in scoring position (clutch factor)? Perhaps limit to just his last 50 ab (🔥 or🍦)? 

The other thing is if he is so afraid of Turner, he can tell his pitcher to throw 3 pitches out of the zone and see if he chase one. You only need 1 strike and he’s in protect mode. I understand not doing that with an 0-0 count, but you almost have him put away. But anyone questioning the great LaRussa is an idiot, yet the  real idiot cost the team 3 runs.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Don’t quote my good post with this

• Haha 2