Fire Tony Chant

Texsox

38 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't know how many here are old enough to remember much his first time around, but he was booed then as well. Jerry Manuel got some boos at the All Star Game and Bevington got booed a few times, but since I've been following the Sox Tony wins that contest easy.

7 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

3rd place Sox fans are tired of it.

This fan base is genuinely pissed. This chant, the loud booing is just part of it. I audibly heard at least one person yelling “Walk him Tony” late in the game over the radio and Twitter has a whole bunch of seemingly legit people saying this is happening at the ballpark every time there’s a 1-2 count now. 

I am not sure I can recall a time where the fan base was this angry. 2016 was a different feeling, this is somehow just pure unleashed anger. 

• Fire 2

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This fan base is genuinely pissed. This chant, the loud booing is just part of it. I audibly heard at least one person yelling “Walk him Tony” late in the game over the radio and Twitter has a whole bunch of seemingly legit people saying this is happening at the ballpark every time there’s a 1-2 count now. 

I am not sure I can recall a time where the fan base was this angry. 2016 was a different feeling, this is somehow just pure unleashed anger. 

If the Sox fan base is one thing, it's emotive. When they make the playoffs, the crowd is insane — even for play in games. We love anyone associated with the franchise in any positive aspect whatsoever.

And after going through a rebuild, we saw Renteria blow it in the ALDS. Had the best opening for a manager in baseball. Then Tony comes in, with legal trouble, and has shown that it's his way or the highway and his way has repeatedly lost them games.

Unless this team goes on a tear, Tony traded a story book ending for a brutal summer of White Sox fans rightfully reaming him every single home game.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Quin said:

If the Sox fan base is one thing, it's emotive. When they make the playoffs, the crowd is insane — even for play in games. We love anyone associated with the franchise in any positive aspect whatsoever.

And after going through a rebuild, we saw Renteria blow it in the ALDS. Had the best opening for a manager in baseball. Then Tony comes in, with legal trouble, and has shown that it's his way or the highway and his way has repeatedly lost them games.

Unless this team goes on a tear, Tony traded a story book ending for a brutal summer of White Sox fans rightfully reaming him every single home game.

Or Keuchel...or unfortunate timing of first Crochet injury exposed bullpen.

53 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I thought the point of a manager is so he could take blame and attention off the players. Burger and Gio have both had to issue public statements saying "my bad" cause TLR embarrassed the team with his managerial decisions these past few days. 

They didn't have to. Gio answered questions he was asked.

I don't think TLR should take the blame for Gio performance. 

1 hour ago, Highland said:

JR won't sell out of pure stubbornness. And more the fans chant about Tony, the more stubborn he will get about that, too. Might as well save your breath.

They only people that have a voice in that are the rest of the shareholders. JR couldn't sell unless they all agreed because he owns less than 50%. 

21 minutes ago, Quin said:

That’s all true, even today when they announce the line ups, even the guys really struggling got cheers. Tony got his ass booed. I wonder how this team will react. You hear from players how bad they feel when a manager or coach gets fired because they responsible. The fans are going to get worse with Tony unless the team starts to win. I shutter to think what it will be like if they are 10-12 games out a month from now, because not only will they be failing, you know Tony will do a few things to pour gas on the fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highland said:

JR won't sell out of pure stubbornness. And more the fans chant about Tony, the more stubborn he will get about that, too. Might as well save your breath.

JR won't sell because he's a big baseball fan and loved owning a team.

I used 538 (but most predictions were similar), took the top 10 teams, and compared their predicted win% to their current win%. Sox have the lowest win% of the ten by 51 points and the worst differential of the ten by 64 points. If that isn't an indictment of the manager then nothing is. Other teams had slow starts (Jays, RSox, Brewers, Braves) but have recovered. Not the Sox.

image.png

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They didn't have to. Gio answered questions he was asked.

I don't think TLR should take the blame for Gio performance. 

He shouldn’t but Tony thinks differently from most coaches and managers. Most managers publicly say the wins are because of the players, the losses are on me, even though we know even great teams lose 60 times a year. What he did with that intentional walk business was just the opposite. He said he make the right call, and his players didn’t execute. Just saying something like my bad shouldn’t be that hard.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Or Keuchel...or unfortunate timing of first Crochet injury exposed bullpen.

They had two starting pitchers available in the postseason. COVID may have impacted bringing in other starters in July 2020, but chalking that up more toward the team roster exceeding expectations in the short "season" and not having adequate starting pitching beyond Giolito to legitimately compete in the playoffs.

I think Ricky would have been the better manger the past two seasons, including playoffs. He'd be more welcome to input from the FO, wouldn't have brought in crony staff and players, and I believe the team wouldn't have quit like they have since June 2021. If you brought in a legitimate replacement after 2020 (Boche, Hinch, Espada), I wouldn't have quibbled and they also would have better results with the same roster and injuries.

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He shouldn’t but Tony thinks differently from most coaches and managers. Most managers publicly say the wins are because of the players, the losses are on me, even though we know even great teams lose 60 times a year. What he did with that intentional walk business was just the opposite. He said he make the right call, and his players didn’t execute. Just saying something like my bad shouldn’t be that hard.

He's done that as well. Last year the there were people complaining he was admitting to too many mistakes and should be fired.

Edited by ptatc

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I think deep down JR now knows bringing Tony back was a huge mistake, but he’s stubborn so nothing will change until after the season or maybe the last week if the Sox are eliminated when Tony will tell people he decided to step away for good. 

I dont know if i agree yet. It all depends on where the team finishes. Ends justify the means.

If they get healthy and beat up on the easy schedule, nothing will change

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I dont know if i agree yet. It all depends on where the team finishes. Ends justify the means.

If they get healthy and beat up on the easy schedule, nothing will change

I think Tony “retires” if the Sox miss the playoffs or win the WS. Anything else, he may be back for his age 78 season.