Too soon to panic

Thesieve30

I think it is too soon to panic. The beauty of a 162 game season is that players tend to perform the way they have in the past. There are white Sox hitters performing well below their career averages and they will begin hitting. The Braves were below 500 last season and won the World Series. But they did make some big deadline moves to shore up their outfield so they were a much stronger team after that. The division is weak and I think the White Sox can overtake the twins without too much trouble . That will put them in the playoffs and the Sox top three pitchers are enough to win playoff series. I have bet on the White Sox to win the World Series and I am still comfortable that they can do it. Maybe I am overly optimistic but I do think that in a 162 game season, the cream always rises to the top 

I think if you only saw the record and knew about the injuries and when guys are coming back, PLUS the easiest remaining schedule, you could get there and think this team has a chance to win an AL Championship.

When you watch games regularly and see their inept decisions, you know there’s no way this our year.

• Like 3

Your optimism is appreciated. However:

- The Braves were in a much better position farm system wise to make those trades. I’m skeptical that the Sox will be able outbid other contenders for TDL acquisitions

- The Braves turnaround was very much the exception to the rule. It did happen, so, sure, it’s possible for it to happen to the Sox. But the reason it’s referenced so much is because that sort of thing almost never happens

- The Sox are currently 7-12 against teams in their weak division. Until they prove they can actually beat those weak teams, I’m kind of done with the easy division talk. It’s a weak division for teams like the Yankees and Astros, and the Sox are a reason why

- As far as taking over the Twins without too much trouble: They’ve shown nothing that makes me believe this will happen. The Twins have also been hit hard by injuries and have done a much better job weathering the storm thus far

- Ultimately, while I do agree the cream usually rises to the top over the course of 162 games, I have trouble making the case that the Sox are part of that cream

• Like 2

Far too late for panic honestly.  It’s mid-June, the time for panic has past.  They have barely stayed afloat hovering around .500 playing some of the worst, dumbest, most uninspired baseball since the tanking years.  What possible signs are there that anything lights a fire under them w/o drastic structural change?  We should be bracing for the inevitable collapse.  We should consider ourselves lucky the bottom hasn’t already completely fallen out yet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Your optimism is appreciated. However:

- The Braves were in a much better position farm system wise to make those trades. I’m skeptical that the Sox will be able outbid other contenders for TDL acquisitions

- The Braves turnaround was very much the exception to the rule. It did happen, so, sure, it’s possible for it to happen to the Sox. But the reason it’s referenced so much is because that sort of thing almost never happens

- The Sox are currently 7-12 against teams in their weak division. Until they prove they can actually beat those weak teams, I’m kind of done with the easy division talk. It’s a weak division for teams like the Yankees and Astros, and the Sox are a reason why

- As far as taking over the Twins without too much trouble: They’ve shown nothing that makes me believe this will happen. The Twins have also been hit hard by injuries and have done a much better job weathering the storm thus far

- Ultimately, while I do agree the cream usually rises to the top over the course of 162 games, I have trouble making the case that the Sox are part of that cream

The 2019 Nationals were 19-31 in late May.  Not sure what their run differential was but it wasn't until July that they were consistently over.500.  I would argue it's not the exception to the rule in terms of winning the World Series in the last few years.  We have seen teams that have played like crap in the first half of the season get hot at the right time and ride that through October.   Will the White Sox do it?  I don't know.  But I do believe the talent is there.  As bad as they have been so far this year, they are very much still in the AL Central race, especially considering the second half schedule

45 minutes ago, Thesieve30 said:

I think it is too soon to panic. The beauty of a 162 game season is that players tend to perform the way they have in the past. There are white Sox hitters performing well below their career averages and they will begin hitting. The Braves were below 500 last season and won the World Series. But they did make some big deadline moves to shore up their outfield so they were a much stronger team after that. The division is weak and I think the White Sox can overtake the twins without too much trouble . That will put them in the playoffs and the Sox top three pitchers are enough to win playoff series. I have bet on the White Sox to win the World Series and I am still comfortable that they can do it. Maybe I am overly optimistic but I do think that in a 162 game season, the cream always rises to the top 

All the more reason to get rid of TLR and give any new manager a good half a season or more to sort things out, because another month of this and it will be time to panic.

Panic is not the right word. Concern is a better one because this team looks lackluster. And I don't think they will take the division with ease. Historically, they have not matched up well against the Twins and the Guardians. Before I get optimistic, I would like to see a good, solid week of well-played, fundamental baseball. 

29 minutes ago, flavum said:

I think if you only saw the record and knew about the injuries and when guys are coming back, PLUS the easiest remaining schedule, you could get there and think this team has a chance to win an AL Championship.

When you watch games regularly and see their inept decisions, you know there’s no way this our year.

The year is 2389. Baseball is now played by indestructible robots.

White Sox fans still believe that they are only struggling because of injuries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

They aren't going anywhere, unless they can find at least one LH bat. Grandal and Moncada are not providing anything, which leaves only McGuire and Leury as the only other 2 guys and they obviously are not the solution. If the Sox can pick up someone to fill the void, they may be alright, with their schedule. They may have to try either Payton, or Haseley in RF, if they can't swing a trade. They may even consider Neslony. However, that would be a desperation move as none of them have a Major League track record that instills any confidence.

Edited by Lillian
  • Haha 1

It may be "too soon to panic," but it's not too soon to fix this mess. If they're serious about contending this year, they will need to address the obvious shortcomings. This is not merely a "slump". It's almost an entire year, since this team played above .500 baseball. They were just 5 games above .500, the second half of last season and they are now 4 games under ,500, for this season. Since the middle of last year, they are 1 game over .500. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Thesieve30 said:

The Braves were below 500 last season and won the World Series. But they did make some big deadline moves to shore up their outfield so they were a much stronger team after that. 

The Braves have a GM who acquired 2.5 bWAR (Aug/Sept) at the deadline: Jorge Soler (1.4 bWAR), Adam Duvall (0.6 bWAR) and Eddie Rosario (0.5).

The White Sox have a GM who spent a lot more in terms of ca$h and prospects (Pilkington, Heuer, Madrigal) for a net negative 0.1 bWAR at the deadline: Cesar Hernandez (Negative 0.7 bWAR), Ryan Tepera (0.6 bWAR) and Craig Kimbrel (0.0 bWAR).

The previous deadline, the Sox GM acquired Yolmer Sanchez (0.3 bWAR) and Jarrod Dyson (-0.1 bWAR), and left his available starting pitcher count at two for the upcoming playoffs (Giolito and Keuchel).

Expecting Rick Hahn to "shore up" anything will lead to disappointment. Still hasn't shored up RF or 2B over several seasons.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

The White Sox must not think highly of Yolbert Sanchez. Harrison looks like he is finished as a MLB player. Appears to me that Sanchez doesn't fit into the White Sox plans.

Even if he’s bad he can’t be as bad as Harrison. .250/.300/.350 would be a big improvement at this point.