Too soon to panic

Thesieve30

we can all cite a ton of examples where teams underperform early then catch fire and roll. i'm sure it's possible that can happen.

that said, this team is just good at losing. how they lose looks different from day-to-day but the result is the same. starting pitching looks great, then it doesn't. bullpen shines for two weeks, then gives it up. we don't hit for two-and-half-months, then score 32 runs in our last four games. go 1-3 in those games.

being good at losing is a team characteristic. i'm more inclined to think that's what this team is this year. doesn't mean the rebuild's a failure or some variation of this core can't excel in a different year, but i increasingly think we are not going to see it this year.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

I suspect that they have missed the mark, even further, on Moncada. The difference being that he was acquired in a trade, rather than selected, as were Robert and Vaughn. I still have high hopes for them, but not so much for Yoan.

Same here, I'm beginning to think hes average player who will wind up a journeyman infielder bouncing around from team to team, In other words, a perfect fit for this team

Panic probably isn't the right word.  Concerned, for sure.  Resigned, absolutely.  This is a poorly managed team that, when it wins, is winning in spite of the manager.  There are multiple players that need to play well, not superbly - just well, in order for the team to succeed.  Many of these players are way underperforming and are not showing signs of getting back to their typical performance.  Add to all that the injuries.  Just when it seems like things are turning around injury-wise, someone else gets hurt.

I haven't seen anything to make me believe this is a team that will compete, let alone win the division.  I do think a change in leadership will make a difference.  At a minimum, it sends a message.  Beyond that, putting someone else in there who will look at the game from a 2022 perspective, manage a bullpen effectively, and for god's sake be honest and take some accountability will make a huge difference.

This 2022 Sox team is being laughed at.  They're even being talked about during other games on national TV.

No, I'm not panicking.  I'm resigned to this team not going anywhere, and I'm concerned it's only going to get worse.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Can't help but wonder, have the White Sox  misjudged both Luis Robert and Andrew Vaughn? Both of them look like they are  good players but not great players.

Add up Roberts stats and he has banked a very impressive one years worth number in hopscotch manner. But he’s a Jaguar always at the mechanic. Errr Panthera at the vet.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

20 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Still plenty of time to make a run. Definitely concerned but the hardest part of their schedule is almost over with. Please just start playing better. And fire the manager.

Time is on our side. Bad baseball is not. They are a dumb mistake prone team from top to bottom. Does that change? I’m  here for it. A smart, heads up team can overcome injuries to a certain extent. The teams that win divisions tend to be clutch and focused.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

1 hour ago, thedoctor said:

we can all cite a ton of examples where teams underperform early then catch fire and roll. i'm sure it's possible that can happen.

that said, this team is just good at losing. how they lose looks different from day-to-day but the result is the same. starting pitching looks great, then it doesn't. bullpen shines for two weeks, then gives it up. we don't hit for two-and-half-months, then score 32 runs in our last four games. go 1-3 in those games.

being good at losing is a team characteristic. i'm more inclined to think that's what this team is this year. doesn't mean the rebuild's a failure or some variation of this core can't excel in a different year, but i increasingly think we are not going to see it this year.

that's just the function of a mediocre team. You have good pitching and putrid offense. "good at losing" just means good at not scoring enough runs to make leads hold up or not having enough bullpen depth (despite you know, allocating an insane amount of payroll to it) to make a slim lead count more often than not. Or it means making the critical error (because half your roster is a 1B/DH type) and letting the game get away from you in a big moment.

Everything adds up to runs not scored and runs not prevented and you do that enough you start to lose more than you win. I'm really not trying to be pedantic or deep here, it's just how games are won and lost.

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Every AL Central beat writer for the Athletic is still picking the Sox to win the division. 

Just like how a bunch of them thought the Twins would still be in the hunt for the division in June last year? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Just like how a bunch of them thought the Twins would still be in the hunt for the division in June last year? 

Right. And on Twinkietown and other twins forums they knew their club was shit well before the national pundits. we watch this shit every day or close to it, what exactly if the hope for a turnaround, some hypothetical time when everybody is healthy and playing well? The season is 1/3 over, guys keep getting injured and timelines pushed back. there is no full roster coming anytime soon and you'd be a fool to think this oft injured club will sustain health. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Right. And on Twinkietown and other twins forums they knew their club was shit well before the national pundits. we watch this shit every day or close to it, what exactly if the hope for a turnaround, some hypothetical time when everybody is healthy and playing well? The season is 1/3 over, guys keep getting injured and timelines pushed back. there is no full roster coming anytime soon and you'd be a fool to think this oft injured club will sustain health. 

Also let's not pretend a fully healthy club is anything special. The fully healthy Sox were basically a .500 team in the 2nd half of last year. The 2021 team had a really good May and good June to push them into the 15 over .500 range and just lived off that success the rest of the year cause the division was ass. 

This team needs to play with everyone clicking to get out of this hole they're in. I really don't see that happening with how often guys get injured and just how bad of a slump some of them are in. 

They need to rattle off like a 10 game win streak to get back into this race. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Also let's not pretend a fully healthy club is anything special. The fully healthy Sox were basically a .500 team in the 2nd half of last year. The 2021 team had a really good May and good June to push them into the 15 over .500 range and just lived off that success the rest of the year cause the division was ass. 

This team needs to play with everyone clicking to get out of this hole they're in. I really don't see that happening with how often guys get injured and just how bad of a slump some of them are in. 

They need to rattle off like a 10 game win streak to get back into this race. 

The team is just mediocre even when healthy. Half a dozen guys they were counting on are either always hurt and/or underperforming. If Robert and Moncada aren't combining for like 10-11 WAR this club is mediocre. And there's no reason to think Robert and Moncada are going to suddenly catch fire. Both of them have serious mechanical issues right now in their swings.

• Like 1

31C4613F-7805-4B53-B0FA-3DA5AB91DA14.jpegIt is rather impressive how well winning percentage in the AL is tracking run differential.

The White Sox are 2 teams above where they should be thanks to a positive record in close games. The Red Sox and Guardians are a bit worse than expected. 

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox haven’t had a dominating, blowout win in their last 55 games.  They’re just not very good.

sadly this. It happens where years fall apart. The sad part is we know Hahn can't put things back together. I could look at 2023 free agents for the signings hahn will certainly patch in to laugh at, be very close to right, but it's hard to care about this all 10 years in. It's just pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, reiks12 said:

do they watch the team every day like we do?

It's their job to watch their team everyday and know what's happening with division rivals. 

Are they fans? Probably not. Which clouds the writer's judgement I'm sure. It's tough to be objective when you're not a fan. 

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

He was hitting pretty awful when they sent him down.

Not so fast! Actually he was not hitting as bad as so many others! Burger's last game before being sent down was May 8th and he was hitting .239. After that same game on 5-8, Sheets was was hitting .203, Mendick .217, Harrison .145, Engel .222, Garcia .182, Grandal .185, McGuire .152! I understand some of these guys couldn't be let go. However the fact is he was doing better than Sheets and Mendick who could be sent down or DFA Harrison.  

2 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Not so fast! Actually he was not hitting as bad as so many others! Burger's last game before being sent down was May 8th and he was hitting .239. After that same game on 5-8, Sheets was was hitting .203, Mendick .217, Harrison .145, Engel .222, Garcia .182, Grandal .185, McGuire .152! I understand some of these guys couldn't be let go. However the fact is he was doing better than Sheets and Mendick who could be sent down or DFA Harrison.  

Giving full season stats for that day in question isn't the whole picture.  Jake had slashed a .179/.250/.179/.429 line with 15 Ks in 32 PAs before he got sent down.  His 279/.296./465/.761 to start the season had held it up.

The other bigger problem for Jake is his defense.  He can barely play 3rd, and that's it.  When you make a list like this, it is mostly nonsense.  Jake can't catch, so why are you comparing to the two catchers?  Jake can't play OF, so why compare him to Engel?  Sheets is left-handed which is why he stuck around, and he can stand in the OF, which is more than Burger can, sadly.  Mendick was sent down.  Harrison can play more than 3B, as can Leury. 

Burger didn't have a clear path to ABs until Yoan got hurt again, and then Jake came up and hit, which actually made it more of a priority to squeeze him into the line up.