Too soon to panic

Thesieve30

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This season is over. Trade Gio bring up some youngsters and start looking for the next manager. 

There is still time to restore Cody Asche to the Soxtalk Banner, and reverse the White Sox' 2022 Fortunes.

https://www.mlb.com/video/asche-s-two-run-double-to-right-c1352023183

• Haha 1

When will this damn organization listen to me and tell Jeff Vukavich to fuck off?....that damn jingle is a curse.  It's not too early to kiss that asswipe Cubbie fan goodbye and find a sponsor that actually wants this team to win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

When will this damn organization listen to me and tell Jeff Vukavich to fuck off?....that damn jingle is a curse.  It's not too early to kiss that asswipe Cubbie fan goodbye and find a sponsor that actually wants this team to win.

The broadcast would be 1000 times more enjoyable w/o that cursed jingle, that’s for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I don't see Grandal, Moncada, and Eloy being relevant contributors the rest of the way.

So yes, it's time to panic. 

I really wonder how this is going to play out with Moncada. He looks like he couldn't hit me. They have him signed for 2 more years at big money. I can't imagine any other team wanting him and his contract.

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

Can't help but wonder, have the White Sox  misjudged both Luis Robert and Andrew Vaughn? Both of them look like they are  good players but not great players.

Put them on the Giants and they’re instantly going to be MVP candidates.

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

Can't help but wonder, have the White Sox  misjudged both Luis Robert and Andrew Vaughn? Both of them look like they are  good players but not great players.

That's the issue with the Sox so far. A lot of solid 3- 4.5 win players, but no stars. 

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

You point to something that a lot of fans lose site of.  Luis Robert, and Andrew Vaughn are excellent players, but they are not Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton primarily because they are not hitting nearLY as many HR.  Sox hitters need to pound out a lot more HR to win some of these close games.

1 hour ago, tray said:

You point to something that a lot of fans lose site of.  Luis Robert, and Andrew Vaughn are excellent players, but they are not Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton primarily because they are not hitting nearLY as many HR.  Sox hitters need to pound out a lot more HR to win some of these close games.

Burger leads the team with 8 HR and he has played the fewest games of all of the regulars. 

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I suspect that they have missed the mark, even further, on Moncada. The difference being that he was acquired in a trade, rather than selected, as were Robert and Vaughn. I still have high hopes for them, but not so much for Yoan.

41 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I suspect that they have missed the mark, even further, on Moncada. The difference being that he was acquired in a trade, rather than selected, as were Robert and Vaughn. I still have high hopes for them, but not so much for Yoan.

I wonder what they're going to do with Moncada. If he continues to tank offensively I don't see how they can keep him on the team in the future. I would imagine  if he gets off to another bad start next year they will probably release him and eat his contract. Nobody is going to trade for him and pickup his contract.

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I wonder what they're going to do with Moncada. If he continues to tank offensively I don't see how they can keep him on the team in the future. I would imagine  if he gets off to another bad start next year they will probably release him and eat his contract. Nobody is going to trade for him and pickup his contract.

I don't know, but I agree that this might be the most serious dilemma that faces the front office. He is owed a lot of money and has been regarded as a key piece of this team's core, for the window of contention. Complicating the situation is the emergence of Burger as a productive offensive player, whose only viable position is third base. Releasing Moncada is not an option, due to the size of that contract. I still favor the idea of trading him, for whatever they can get, just to get out of that contractual obligation for all of that money. That would allow them to better spend the financial resources on a player more suitable to their needs, such as a LH hitting run producer. Not that any names, quickly come to mind, but perhaps if a few more teams fall out of contention, someone could emerge as a viable candidate to fill that role.

The only other plausible option, that I can think of, is to retool his game. I wrote about that in another post. He has so many tools that he might be better served by changing his approach to the game. He has speed and athleticism. If he could become a good contact hitter and stolen base threat, he could still be a useful player and could profile as a second baseman. That seems more feasible than hoping that he will develop into a slugger, which he has clearly not been able to do.

Edited by Lillian

The Moncada situation is strange to me. He looks as if he is still hurt. On one plate appearance, he got a good look at a pitch, and got the good part of the bat on the ball. But the ball went nowhere. It was nothing but the weakest fly to right. It is one thing to say Moncada might not be as good as thought. But a .130 average? In no way, is he that bad. Maybe he is hiding an injury for some reason or the coaching staff doesn't see what his happening. But he doesn't belong in the lineup right now and doesn't belong until all his physical problems are taken care of.

I think Robert can still be a truly great all-around player. And I have doubts about Eloy even though he should be a large impact offensive threat.

Young players hit a wall at times. I just wonder if this staff can help them get over that wall. It is one thing to have potential. It is another to achieve it.