Old Sock Drawer, ex Sox player discussion

elrockinMT

10 minutes ago, T R U said:

We’re out of the rebuild, and they have done the same patch work job they’ve done in the past. There’s no commitment to winning a title here. Dumpster dive back end of the rotation, dumpster dive second base, insisting on filling half the roster with first baseman playing out of position. 

Don't forget even Pollock playing out of position...RF until this season required the arm strength to make that longest throw on the diamond from deep RF to 3B.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Don't forget even Pollock playing out of position...RF until this season required the arm strength to make that longest throw on the diamond from deep RF to 3B.

Yeah, we’ve got some good young talent but man this roster is not constructed very well

13 minutes ago, T R U said:

We’re out of the rebuild, and they have done the same patch work job they’ve done in the past. There’s no commitment to winning a title here. Dumpster dive back end of the rotation, dumpster dive second base, insisting on filling half the roster with first baseman playing out of position. 

The thing I don’t understand about a lot of Sox fans is that if they are that disgusted with the organization, why invest time watching or commenting? Truly. That’s what I did with the Blackhawks the last few years. There’s better ways to spend my time and energy. If you don’t think they’re committed to winning and their method of roster construction causes you grief, then don’t bother with the product. Not that hard.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The thing I don’t understand about a lot of Sox fans is that if they are that disgusted with the organization, why invest time watching or commenting? Truly. That’s what I did with the Blackhawks the last few years. There’s better ways to spend my time and energy. If you don’t think they’re committed to winning and their method of roster construction causes you grief, then don’t bother with the product. Not that hard.

Because I’m still a fan of this team even if they win 60 games. It sucks that we have a legit shot at a World Series and they pull the same garbage they’ve always done. An organization committed to winning a title doesn’t rely on scrap heap starters like Velasquez and Harrison. 

3 minutes ago, T R U said:

Because I’m still a fan of this team even if they win 60 games. It sucks that we have a legit shot at a World Series and they pull the same garbage they’ve always done. An organization committed to winning a title doesn’t rely on scrap heap starters like Velasquez and Harrison. 

I’m still a Blackhawks fan but chose to divest my attention elsewhere over the last few years. Really wasn’t that hard. There are many entertainment options these days so if something is irritating or upsetting me it’s not hard for me to choose a different option.

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So what you're suggesting is fans just show apathy, and only become emotionally invested when the team is good? 

16 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m still a Blackhawks fan but chose to divest my attention elsewhere over the last few years. Really wasn’t that hard. There are many entertainment options these days so if something is irritating or upsetting me it’s not hard for me to choose a different option.

Well we certainly have a difference of opinion on what it means to be a fan of something. 

7 minutes ago, T R U said:

Well we certainly have a difference of opinion on what it means to be a fan of something. 

I’m not saying this is you but if it causes you a lot of stress and/or irritation to be a fan (like I’ve seen what it does to many on here), it’s probably an unhealthy relationship. That goes with anything in life. Just my opinion of course. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

That's not what you or I said, but you know that already.

I think many individuals could benefit from emotionally detaching from the team if it becomes so emotional that it is causing stress or is upsetting their daily life (e.g., effecting their mood). This isn’t just Sox fans, any sports fan. 

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think many individuals could benefit from emotionally detaching from the team if it becomes so emotional that it is causing stress or is upsetting their daily life (e.g., effecting their mood). This isn’t just Sox fans, any sports fan. 

Not many would disagree with that. But again, that's not what you said. 

The thing I don’t understand about a lot of Sox fans is that if they are that disgusted with the organization, why invest time watching or commenting? Truly. That’s what I did with the Blackhawks the last few years. There’s better ways to spend my time and energy.

You've been VERY vocal in your support of the Sox. That's fine. You do you. I can disagree and we can go back and forth, but that's what makes the world go round. 

What I take issue with is the idea that if people complain or upset with the Sox, they should just stop watching and do something else. 1. People can do anything they want and 2. More importantly, that's not what being a "fan" is. Your team should be there for you. Yes, when the Sox aren't playing well, there are long stretches during the season where I only might watch an inning or two and then move onto something else. It doesn't mean I'm not going to be upset when I look at my phone and see they lost 6-0 and have lost 8 straight. I can still log onto Soxtalk and discuss it. 

The picture you've painted is "Enjoy the White Sox when they are good, but when they aren't, you shouldn't watch or be invested! Only come back when they are good!"

If all Sox fans took that advice they'd have fans for like, 12 weeks out of the year. Additionally, living in a major market, I expect more out of my teams. This isn't Pittsburgh. We don't live in Kansas City. Sorry, but when the off-season is 6 months, and the season started about 20 days ago, I take issue with a "fan" already telling us to turn them off if they frustrate you. Fuck that. Get better. Do better. Play better. How about we all raise the collective expectation level around here, instead of taking your attitude of "Welp, if ya don't like the White Sox, just don't watch, mmmm'kay?" 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

Not many would disagree with that. But again, that's not what you said. 

You've been VERY vocal in your support of the Sox. That's fine. You do you. I can disagree and we can go back and forth, but that's what makes the world go round. 

What I take issue with is the idea that if people complain or upset with the Sox, they should just stop watching and do something else. 1. People can do anything they want and 2. More importantly, that's not what being a "fan" is. Your team should be there for you. Yes, when the Sox aren't playing well, there are long stretches during the season where I only might watch an inning or two and then move onto something else. It doesn't mean I'm not going to be upset when I look at my phone and see they lost 6-0 and have lost 8 straight. I can still log onto Soxtalk and discuss it. 

The picture you've painted is "Enjoy the White Sox when they are good, but when they aren't, you shouldn't watch or be invested! Only come back when they are good!"

If all Sox fans took that advice they'd have fans for like, 12 weeks out of the year. Additionally, living in a major market, I expect more out of my teams. This isn't Pittsburgh. We don't live in Kansas City. Sorry, but when the off-season is 6 months, and the season started about 20 days ago, I take issue with a "fan" already telling us to turn them off if they frustrate you. Fuck that. Get better. Do better. Play better. How about we all raise the collective expectation level around here, instead of taking your attitude of "Welp, if ya don't like the White Sox, just don't watch, mmmm'kay?" 

Wrong but maybe I wasn’t clear. If the Sox are causing you stress or effecting your mood and no longer enjoyable (it’s clear that’s the case for many here), then I absolutely believe you should emotionally detach and find a better use of your time preferably doing something else that does bring entertainment or joy to your life. It’s what I’ve done with the Hawks the last few years. If that makes me a “bad” fan then so be it but I’d rather be a bad fan than a “good” fan that spends time doing something I’m not enjoying. And perhaps some folks enjoy constantly thinking and writing negatively about the team that they’re a fan of but that doesn’t make much sense to me. Never will.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Wrong but maybe I wasn’t clear. If the Sox are causing you stress or effecting your mood and no longer enjoyable (it’s clear that’s the case for many here), then I absolutely believe you should emotionally detach and find a better use of your time preferably doing something else that does bring entertainment or joy to your life. It’s what I’ve done with the Hawks the last few years. If that makes me a “bad” fan then so be it but I’d rather be a bad fan than a “good” fan that spends time doing something I’m not enjoying. And perhaps some folks enjoy constantly thinking and writing negatively about the team that they’re a fan of but that doesn’t make much sense to me. Never will.

By this argument, it's better to switch to following Alabama football because they arguably provide the highest likelihood of winning a championship of the major sports in any given year.

It's easier to be happy when your team almost never loses and you don't have to turn off their games for more than a blowout or two...but there's something unique about White Sox fans in terms of lifetime loyalty through thick and thin. Now actually spending hundreds of dollars on a product that used to be more family and less corporate is a completely different conversation.

Being a "fan" of a team that consistently shows they don't really value winning, or respect their fans, is like staying in an abusive relationship. Respect and loyalty is a two way street. The ONLY thing a sports organization respects is the bottom line. So when you want to send a message, you do so by not giving that team money. 

Unfortunately in Chicago, we have a lot of masochistic fans, who just keep coming back for more. It's not admirable to stick with a team when they are terribly managed, and not competitive. That's called being a fucking sucker. You can still be a "fan" and send a message with your wallet.

9 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Enough with this crap. You’ve been carrying water this whole thread about Sox not needing Rodon, and now it’s becoming the team wasn’t as good as you think and the FO made a huge mistake to not bring him back and now you backtracking to say that fans shouldn’t follow the team if they are critical and want call out the team for their fuckups? Give me a fucking break. If you want to be a fair weather fan like you do with the Blackhawks so be it, but don’t ride on your high horse when people are calling out the organization when they make mistakes. This shit about not following the team if you don’t agree with their front office is so played out.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

Fans have every right to be upset with the organization for making mistakes. Fan opinion of how terrible the Bulls are run is part of the reason why GarPax is no longer with the team. If it’s up to JR, GarPax would have a job for life with the Bulls.

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

By this argument, it's better to switch to following Alabama football because they arguably provide the highest likelihood of winning a championship of the major sports in any given year.

It's easier to be happy when your team almost never loses and you don't have to turn off their games for more than a blowout or two...but there's something unique about White Sox fans in terms of lifetime loyalty through thick and thin. Now actually spending hundreds of dollars on a product that used to be more family and less corporate is a completely different conversation.

I used to know a guy who every year would buy a hat with the logo of whoever won the Super Bowl that year and wear it around.  I found that to be so odd.  But to each his own...I'm sure my better half would like me to stop looking at the 47 brand site to see if any new Palehose swag is available.  But then again, it makes birthdays and Christmas easier for her. ;)

29 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

not worth the QO.

I've been told none of this matters because he's only doing it in April, those games aren't really important to the Sox, they have the division locked up. 

🙄

• Like 2

Rodon already worth 1.2 fWAR, trailing only Gausman in the majors.

That’s the equivalent of roughly $10 million in expected FA production dollars out of $18-22 million already.

VV, Harrison, Pollock and Leury (-0.6) combined are a lovely -1.0…

On the plus side, McGuire somehow leads the entire offense at 0.3.

Edited by caulfield12