Old Sock Drawer, ex Sox player discussion

elrockinMT

7 hours ago, wegner said:

This whole obsession with Rodon's starts this year is just getting to be too much....Do you think the Padres' fans followed every White Sox start by James Shields?  Unless they were looking for a good laugh that is.

When you are in the middle of your "multiple championships" window every bad decision by the FO is magnified and deserves scorn as often as possible. There were a lot of people here who thought the Sox front office knew best. Any time anyone says that I am prone to be more than a little curious as to why.

That was back in early November and anyone who gave the FO the benefit of the doubt was most assuredly disappointed in the allocation of funds from early November and throughout the rest of the off season.

The amount of people just sticking to their guns on this because of pride or because they are waiting to see if Rodon blows his arm out so they can pounce just seems so out of place while the Sox have struggled with injuries to the starting staff and lack of LH hitting still among the Sox biggest concerns.

If the team never advances to the late rounds of the playoffs in the window this will be the off season that everyone points to as main reason they didn't capitalize , along with the TLR hiring and the obsession that relief pitching cures all ills. And all of that is on the FO .

• Like 1

This 100%.

That we're now parsing Johnny Cueto Charlotte starts (not good tonight) and hoping/praying for VV to morph into 2003 Esteban Loiaza doesn't bode particularly well.

We managed to transform a dynamic exciting young core into a team relying on "just one more year" performances out of Abreu, Pollock, Grandal, Lynn, Harrison, Leury, Kelly (better be more!), Keuchel, etc.

Not to mention Gavin Sheets following in the footsteps of Delmonico and Palka.

Let's not even get started on how deflating TLR is...although his complete lack of any urgency will be spun as not panicking and a steady hand at the wheel, etc.

I watched some of his innings this season and I do say hes going to be good. He pitched pretty well against the best lineup in MLB. I am not sure what Hahn was thinking when he basically gave one of the best pitching developing organizations, and divisional rivals, such a stud. Very questionable last couple of seasons for Hahn and the FO. 

9 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I watched some of his innings this season and I do say hes going to be good. He pitched pretty well against the best lineup in MLB. I am not sure what Hahn was thinking when he basically gave one of the best pitching developing organizations, and divisional rivals, such a stud. Very questionable last couple of seasons for Hahn and the FO. 

Yes, he's done well in 8 MLB innings. Clearly he's going to have a long career as an elite closer. I hear they're building him his own wing in Cooperstown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

He is a big kid at 240lbs. 

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Those who live in the past suffer depression .

Those who live in the future suffer anxiety  

Only those who live in the present can truly be happy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

I absolutely hated this move from the second they made it. So very frustrating. He'd be a good piece to have right now for spot starts. 

I think there's a good chance he would have cracked the OD rotation given all of the injuries to start the year. He would certainly be the best upper minors SP prospect/non Cueto depth option in the org right now.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Laughable. What a bozo

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Those who live in the past suffer depression .

Those who live in the future suffer anxiety  

Only those who live in the present can truly be happy.

Thich Nhat Hahn quote I do believe 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just amazing how bad Hostetler is though if he’s our pro scouting director. 

He's like the Buddy Bell for this generation of Sox front office guys...and he came from one of the very best systems historically in Atlanta.

It's almost inexplicable.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Eh.

This is what Cleveland is capable of with pitchers. Don’t trade college pitchers with command to them, especially with multiple 2bs available. 

The thing is, he started looking good before going to Cleveland. His stats looked good and there were some favorable scouting reports on him. 

Maybe one day Hahn will explain his thinking and replay the dialogue between him and Cleveland GM.  Something like....

Hahn:  We want your second baseman

Cleveland GM:  Okay, we'll take Pilkington.

Hahn:  OK.

After all, Hahn did go to Harvard.