I am old enough to remember…

GermanSoxFan

We could and should do a "old enough to remember" thread about Tony.  No replies to other posts, just your recollection of a stupid moment or decision.  I think we could easily get that to 3 pages with only memories of fucked up decisions 

Please don’t respond to each other‘s posts, just post your favorite tlr blunders. Let’s see if @Kyyle23 is right

Edited by GermanSoxFan
  • Fire 2

I'm old enough to remember when asked Tony saying White Sox fans were not White Sox fans if they thought the Sox needed another OF, and then the GM traded for 2 within the next several days, although to be fair, based on some of his signings, RH being a White Sox fan is up for debate.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am old enough to remember the drunkard moving a HOF catcher to LF to save his knees.

Granted the HOF catcher was an anomaly but he was by no means a LF and the idea was good in principal....10 years later he was still catching.

Thus began Tony's infatuation with putting players in any defensive position he saw fit. 

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I am old enough to remember the drunkard moving a HOF catcher to LF to save his knees.

Granted the HOF catcher was an anomaly but he was by no means a LF and the idea was good in principal....10 years later he was still catching.

Thus began Tony's infatuation with putting players in any defensive position he saw fit. 

I'm so old I remember it was Hawk's idea. In fact Tony was against it and it was yet another point of argument between Hawk and Tony. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1986-03-28-8601190019-story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1986/05/14/theres-nothing-major-league-about-white-sox-circus/2ed26047-b85a-4167-8ab7-642ec8501b55/

One of Harrelson's bright ideas was to make Fisk a left fielder. Fisk, 38 and a born-again bodybuilder, has his heart set on a late-career Hall of Fame push. Lots of catching records are in his grasp. Left field, by contrast, holds nothing but embarrassment for him.

"You look like a wounded moose out there," Fisk was told this week.

"Think I don't know it?" he said.

In the latest schizophrenic White Sox development, Harrelson "surrendered" last Friday in his power struggle with LaRussa and agreed to let the manager actually manage the team. "My ideas weren't working," he said. "Let Tony have a clean shot doing it his way."

Out the door went two Hawk coaches, Willie Horton (best known as Martin's bodyguard and "tranquility coach" in New York) and Moe Drabowsky (best known as the Orioles reliever who once ordered carry-out Oriental food on the bullpen phone -- from a Hong Kong restaurant.)

In the door came Fisk, who's catching again. For now. "I feel very vulnerable," said the .208-hitting Fisk, who did bike work and aerobics for agility for months and now has switched back to his mega-iron-pumping regimen for bulk behind the plate and home runs at bat. "I don't know whether the whole thing has done more harm to my head or my body, but I certainly feel damaged."

Last little bit, Tony moved Fisk up to 2nd in the order when he was struggling. The idea was to give him a little different responsibility. Maybe take a pitch or two to see if Rudy Law could steal a base. It worked and Fisk got himself out of the slump. Tony has kept trying that to this day. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/whitesox/history/a-conversation-with-tony-la-russa

25 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm so old I remember it was Hawk's idea. In fact Tony was against it and it was yet another point of argument between Hawk and Tony. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1986-03-28-8601190019-story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1986/05/14/theres-nothing-major-league-about-white-sox-circus/2ed26047-b85a-4167-8ab7-642ec8501b55/

Last little bit, Tony moved Fisk up to 2nd in the order when he was struggling. The idea was to give him a little different responsibility. Maybe take a pitch or two to see if Rudy Law could steal a base. It worked and Fisk got himself out of the slump. Tony has kept trying that to this day. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/whitesox/history/a-conversation-with-tony-la-russa

Doh!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Old enough to remember tex not getting the post bit and arguing with someone else 8 posts into the thread lol

Lol 

The last line explains struggling hitters suddenly moving into the 1-2-3 spot so 

I'm so old I remember Tony thinking Leury was actually Fisk. :)

I'm old enough to remember when TA basically insinuated that they players ignore what Tony says after said manager threw his red hot rookie under the bus in the media for supposedly missing or ignoring a sign.  A sign I'm old enough to remember never seeing in any footage available.

• Like 1

I'm old enough to remember news breaking of a second DUI happening right around the time of TLR's re-hiring, and the entire organization playing dumb pretending that it never happened.  I'm also old enough to remember reading summation of what he said to the officers during his arrest, as if HOF credentials meant the rules didn't apply to him.

• Like 5

I'm old enough to remember Tony La Russa challenging the arresting officer regarding the difference between falling asleep at the wheel and passing out at the wheel, after officers found him passed out in the middle of an intersection.

Also an apt metaphor for his tenures with the White Sox.

2:50 mark

Tony doesn't know his ABCs, next time won't you hire me.

1:50 in: "A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Z Q R S T U V V V Z T U V X Y X Z"

I'm remember when Jerry Reinsdorf did not have the intelligence or backbone to stop Hawk Harrelson from firing his so called buddy TLR in 1986. Then in 1997-1998 as the owner of his other team, the Bulls, I remember when the inept JR after winning his 6th NBA championship, once again did not have the balls or knowledge to stop Krause from getting rid of Phil Jackson and Michael Jordan. Having said that, I just accepted JR didn't like to override his GM's. Oh wait, I remember when this clown owner two years ago changed his management track record and decided to override Hahn and make the decision to hire his buddy TLR as the manager...because that is what all owners do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the mid 70's, the White Sox AAA farm team was in Denver for a year or two.  They played the games in Mile High Stadium.  Denver Bears.  Anyway, Tony was their third baseman.  I can't remember how he hit, probably not so hot.  I'll look it up someday.

I'm up there in years and started following the Sox in 1952 and remember many many things.

I remember when TLR actually played in the Majors starting with the Kansas City A's in 1963 and finishing up with the Flubs in 1973, amazed he lasted that long, he was a real scrub.

I also remember when I was a friend of Jimmy Piersall and how he hated TLR and Jimmy would call me at at all hours of the day and night on how TLR screwed up when the Sox lost a game. 

Of course who can forget when TLR, Leyland and another coach went down to the broadcast studios after a game and confronted Jimmy, how bush league was that, tells you what a jerk TLR really is.

PS Can one of the MODS or someone else tell me why I keep getting a notification in the address bar that this is not a secure site.

Edited by The Mighty Mite