I am old enough to remember…

GermanSoxFan

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I am old enough to remember when the idiotic manager thought Vaughn was a platoon player

I thought Tony's approach with Vaughn was on point due to the unique circumstances (no 2020 minor league development, no outfield experience).

Easing him in against tough RHP didn't overwhelm him, let him gain confidence as he worked his way through his first ML season, first season as an OFer, and first season of more than 55 games played (ended up playing 127 last year). He was also 22 years old, so very far ahead of his peers. Now that he has proper footing entering this year, he can be relied on as a regular ML starter, and that is how he is being deployed.

Also thought Tony handed Kopech's transition last year well. Kudos to the FO for their input as well for these two players, the best two success stories post COVID.

Does anyone remember in either 85 or 86 at Comiskey, it was seat cushion day and TLR came out to argue a call, suddenly one seat cushion went flying to the field (in protest of bad call) then within seconds there were hundreds of cushions being thrown on the field. Tony just looked up as if to say WTF?

On 7/8/2022 at 5:45 PM, The Mighty Mite said:

I remember when the White Sox had fan favorites especially with the teams of the 1950s, we all loved Nellie, Chico, Billy, Minnie, Little Louie, Jungle Jim, Jimmy Landis, Sammy Esposito and Bubba Phillips. Down through the years we had others like Kenny Berry, Pete Ward, Horlen, Peters, Wood, Melton, May, Allen, Fisk, Kittle, Baines, Thomas, Ventura, Luzinski, Burns, Konerko and so many others. That brings us to the current bunch, are there any really likeable players that could be considered fan favorites on the 2022 Sox, I guess Abreu might be one but that's about it.

I think Anderson, Eloy, Robert, and Abreu are in that same class of fan favorites by most fans.  Several of our pitchers as well.

Edited by poppysox

2 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Does anyone remember in either 85 or 86 at Comiskey, it was seat cushion day and TLR came out to argue a call, suddenly one seat cushion went flying to the field (in protest of bad call) then within seconds there were hundreds of cushions being thrown on the field. Tony just looked up as if to say WTF?

It was 1985, the 75th anniversary of Comiskey Park. I kept mine.

4 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Cool cushion, they must have at least 2 different designs as mine had the Sox batter logo

I have a seat cushion from 1987. The back of the cushion says Kmart 1962-1987 25th Anniversay. I was sitting in the upper deck when a blown call by the umpire triggered a flurry of cushions raining onto the field. Grinder are you sure it was TLR or could it have been Jim Fregosi

51 minutes ago, Melton1972 said:

I have a seat cushion from 1987. The back of the cushion says Kmart 1962-1987 25th Anniversay. I was sitting in the upper deck when a blown call by the umpire triggered a flurry of cushions raining onto the field. Grinder are you sure it was TLR or could it have been Jim Fregosi

If it was 1987, it was Fregosi.

On 7/18/2022 at 5:33 PM, Melton1972 said:

Mine says: Kmart baseball and you An American tradition

Im almost sure it was tony that gave the crowd that "I dont believe this"