6/13 Games

BamaDoc

• bmags pinned this topic
7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’m thinking Loidel Chapellí might be too good for the DSL 

Do other organizations pull this crap where they send players to DSL to avoid the tax hit? Seems like a complete waste of a developmental year. 

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Do other organizations pull this crap where they send players to DSL to avoid the tax hit? Seems like a complete waste of a developmental year. 

Yeah it happens. They aren’t avoiding a tax hit though to help themselves. They’re trying to get the player the most money possible in a capped system. Blame U.S. tax laws more than anything. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Think of it more as a trick to give players a MUCH bigger bonus.  In the US they would lose something like 35 to 40% of their bonus for a tax check that big.  In the Domincan they don't tax it due to a quirk in their tax laws.  Think of it as if two teams offer you a $500k bonus, if you play in the DSL you get to keep $500k.  If you play in AZ, you get to keep $300k.  Which bonus do you take?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Think of it more as a trick to give players a MUCH bigger bonus.  In the US they would lose something like 35 to 40% of their bonus for a tax check that big.  In the Domincan they don't tax it due to a quirk in their tax laws.  Think of it as if two teams offer you a $500k bonus, if you play in the DSL you get to keep $500k.  If you play in AZ, you get to keep $300k.  Which bonus do you take?

I think they also pay taxes in the DR and here which is an issue 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Isn't he at least 4 yrs older than most of the guys there ?

It's funny to think about. It's like 21 jump street opportunity, basically out of baseball for two years, then going back to play in your high school as a bigger, stronger 20 year old lol.

(I know he's likely played in backfields and stuff for the last two years and that DSL isn't high school etc etc)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Isn't he at least 4 yrs older than most of the guys there ?

He's 20. So, 3 years older than Erick Hernandez, but just slightly older or the same age as a lot of the np types on the team.  If he plays at Kanny next year, he'll be about average.

• Thanks 1

@Y2Jimmy0 I feel like in a fairly recent futuresox interview with Badler he implied sox DR facilities are behind compared to the rest. Didn't we just update those in 2017? Is this another comiskey park II situation where they updated something that was immediately out of date compared to the rest of the league?

47 minutes ago, bmags said:

@Y2Jimmy0 I feel like in a fairly recent futuresox interview with Badler he implied sox DR facilities are behind compared to the rest. Didn't we just update those in 2017? Is this another comiskey park II situation where they updated something that was immediately out of date compared to the rest of the league?

Yeah I think they've been updated again. I think the building is just old honestly. I could ask around and see 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah I think they've been updated again. I think the building is just old honestly. I could ask around and see 

How much do you think that matters? I just feel like with so many important guys they've done the Tax strategy with, I'd want the training they receive top notch so they don't miss a beat. But I don't really care if building is old so long as they have good equipment/teachers. I'd be impressed if they had everything they have in AZ in DSL but I'm sure they do not.

• Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic
6 minutes ago, bmags said:

How much do you think that matters? I just feel like with so many important guys they've done the Tax strategy with, I'd want the training they receive top notch so they don't miss a beat. But I don't really care if building is old so long as they have good equipment/teachers. I'd be impressed if they had everything they have in AZ in DSL but I'm sure they do not.

I have to imagine it isn't THAT big of a deal in terms of signings.  Guys are going to be looking for the money, the people they connect with, the best relationships, and the team that seems to offer them the best path to the US and MLB.  I have to imagine facilities are pretty far down the list for most.

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have to imagine it isn't THAT big of a deal in terms of signings.  Guys are going to be looking for the money, the people they connect with, the best relationships, and the team that seems to offer them the best path to the US and MLB.  I have to imagine facilities are pretty far down the list for most.

I don’t think it’s a signing incentive, I think the money is the incentive. But it could come at a cost of development if your DR training and facilities are garbage.