Hendriks now to IL with Right Forearm Strain

bmags

10 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It's a lynch mob at this point. 

I truly hope he gets canned to see who these fans go after next.   It was Leury to start the season but then if shifted to LaRussa,   Interesting to see who's next because this team will continue to lose if it doesn't get healthy and Moncada and Grandal suck all the way to the end. 

Probably the shitty GM or the either-underwhelming-or-maybe-just-not-that-good players

41 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Just gotta hope it's not a UCL problem. We're still on the hook for 2 more years of his contract. 

I'm beginning to think the modern usage of pitchers is simply not compatible with their physical makeup. Pitching has always been taxing on arms and shoulders and now they are pushed so hard now that eventual injury is becoming the rule rather than the exception. If I'm trading for live arms, especially young ones, I think I would be willing to offer more for a guy who has already gotten his TJS out of the way versus one who hasn't .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snopek said:

If I were to make a list of regulars/key contributors that have NOT been on the IL yet this year, I think it goes something like:

- Abreu

- Cease

The end.

Anyone missing?

Of course this ends with Cease and Abreu slamming into each other at full speed tonight.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

He had to have had an MRI already I would think.  

Kopech had the results two hours after the game. 

Probably.  They always tell the story of how loose the ligament maybe though.

28 minutes ago, fathom said:

If they thought it was a long-term thing, would they have made it retroactive?

Nothing to lose. Besides, they seem to be the last people to know their players even warrant an IL stint this year. Not only have they not had a full roster of 5hei best players, they haven’t had a full roster period available for probably 95% of their games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I get the feeling that they don't think it is long term, otherwise he would have been gone on day 1.

Most likely. But that isn't always a sure thing. It is the practice of medicine not the science of medicine.  We aren't always correct.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

It seems forearm strains eventually turn into TJS. I just wonder how they can go from, tomorrow to tomorrow again to 3 weeks. 

A lot of times the player thinks they’re improving and then have a setback, and that’s when further imaging/evaluations take place.  I’m sure Liam tried to tough it out.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

A lot of times the player thinks they’re improving and then have a setback, and that’s when further imaging/evaluations take place.  I’m sure Liam tried to tough it out.

He’s been wearing a compression sleeve on his elbow when warming up for at least a month.

I’m thinking they knew it was going to blow, just hoped it could be delayed as long as possible.

Edited by Dick Allen

Liam Hendriks has a flexor strain. “It’s a matter of how he responds to treatment over the next few days before we come up with an exact timetable,” White Sox GM Rick Hahn said. “But the preliminary estimate is three weeks.”

@ptatcis that news any different or more clarifying?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Does anyone know of any power pitcher who had a forearm strain that didn’t eventually get TJS.

Masahiro Tanaka is the one k can think of that rehabbed a partially torn ligament rather than going for surgery and never hurt it worse.

Sale had a forearm strain in 2012 and it took a full 7 years before TJS, that’s not bad either.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

I'm beginning to think the modern usage of pitchers is simply not compatible with their physical makeup. Pitching has always been taxing on arms and shoulders and now they are pushed so hard now that eventual injury is becoming the rule rather than the exception. If I'm trading for live arms, especially young ones, I think I would be willing to offer more for a guy who has already gotten his TJS out of the way versus one who hasn't .

Agreed. Also, there should have been a 28 man roster the entire season to help manage workloads, Would have cost $1.4M per team for players at the ML Minimum.

The rosters have been stuck at 25/26 players for over a century. Teams had four starters and a much smaller bullpen the first hundred years. The way the game is managed today, 14 Position, 5 Starters and 9 Relievers on an active roster (28 total) would be ideal.