What’s Vaughn’s offensive ceiling?

Greg Hibbard

I'm not surprised at all. Vaughn's celling is very high!

Vaughn was an accomplished college baseball hitter who won the the Golden Spikes award as the top amateur baseball player in the country. He was the # 3 overall pick in the 2019 draft. I did expect big things from him. 

Former winners of this award:

Kris Bryant

Stephen Strasburg

Trevor Bauer

Bryce Harper

Buster Olney

David Price

Tim Lincecum

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Vaughn was an accomplished college baseball hitter who won the the Golden Spikes award as the top amateur baseball player in the country. He was the # 3 overall pick in the 2019 draft. I did expect big things from him. 

Kris Bryant

Stephen Strasburg

Trevor Bauer

Bryce Harper

Buster Olney

David Price

Tim Lincecum

Was Buster Olney really a golden spikes award winner.  I never knew it - or did you mean Buster Posey? Never mind - has to be Posey.  Cause I just assume Olney has been a career journalist (vs. a former upper echelon college player).  

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

Very hard to peg at this point since he is unique in terms of a typical first basemen. Of the players below, Steve Garvey may be the best projection.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/why-andrew-vaughn-is-such-a-unique-mlb-draft-prospect/

Vaughn is one of only eight MLB players drafted Top 10 as a RH 1B, and only the second since 1991. Frank Thomas, Mark McGwire and Tim Wallach are three standouts among the seven other draftees.

There have only been four sub six foot RH throwing 1B since MLB integration (1947), and only two regulars, who have played more than 20 MLB games:

1. 2,332 Steve Garvey
  2. 1,658 Bill "Moose" Skowron
  3. 328 Chuck Harrison
  4. 173 Tyler White

In terms of modern White Sox players, would say Paul Konerko could be the best comp in terms of 1B and offensively, perhaps Carlos Lee defensively if he stays in LF (and a better hitter than Lee).

• Like 1

Vaughn looks like a legitimate .300 hitter this year.

.400 if he can face Detroit pitching.  He killed Detroit  in that early series plus this last one and the Sox have several more games left against the Tigers.

Detroit has really thrown in the towel .It is ugly to see that this early in the season. They should at least make it look like they are trying.

40 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Both seem to rope balls and give you all around hit tools. Short and stocky with it. 

Sheffield was a much better base runner and SS coming up though...before eventually moving over to third.

Certainly much better agility. 

Second half of career maybe the comps are more apt for where Vaughn is now.

2 hours ago, tray said:

Detroit has really thrown in the towel .It is ugly to see that this early in the season. They should at least make it look like they are trying.

Yep it's sad ten teams do this each year now, tanking, not paying anybody.

That said, no opponent felt sorry when Manny Buenos Dias and Dylan Covey types took the mound every fifth day.

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

That said, no opponent felt sorry when Manny Buenos Dias and Dylan Covey types took the mound every fifth day.

Paying Eduardo Rodriguez and certainly Javy Baez and Miggy Cabrera.

Also have lost a boatland of pitchers to injury, not to mention Riley Greene.

6 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Detroit looks really rough but what they have on the field wasn't the plan.  They wanted their young rotation to grow together and instead they all got injured together 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Kris Bryant

Stephen Strasburg

Trevor Bauer

Bryce Harper

Buster Olney

David Price

Tim Lincecum

Let's not forget

Brandon McKay

Kip Bouknight

Jason Jennings

Khalil Greene

Mike Zunino

19 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Was Buster Olney really a golden spikes award winner.  I never knew it - or did you mean Buster Posey? Never mind - has to be Posey.  Cause I just assume Olney has been a career journalist (vs. a former upper echelon college player).  

My bad, Posey! haha

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

Let's not forget

Brandon McKay

Kip Bouknight

Jason Jennings

Khalil Greene

Mike Zunino

Jennings threw over 1000 big league innings, Khalil Green played 736 big league games, Mike Zunino is in his 10th MLB season, and McKay made the majors real fast and broke down and go hurt. 

Kip Bouknight was born 10 years before me so you're really digging going back there.

I'd say 4 of those 5 aren't busts. 

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jennings threw over 1000 big league innings, Khalil Green played 736 big league games, Mike Zunino is in his 10th MLB season, and McKay made the majors real fast and broke down and go hurt. 

Kip Bouknight was born 10 years before me so you're really digging going back there.

I'd say 4 of those 5 aren't busts. 

Gordon Beckham played 11 seasons in the majors. 

I think most people consider him a bust considering where he was drafted and what was expected. 

• Like 1