What’s Vaughn’s offensive ceiling?

Greg Hibbard

Vaughn is not an outfielder and probably lacks the range and reach needed at first base, so he is mainly a one tool player.

If Andrew continues mashing the ball he has a high ceiling, even if limited to DHing.  More HR's would elevate his value even more.

15 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yes.

And he had a teammate say he was using, plus his former GM say something about suspecting him.

Which teammate? He was listed in Canseco’s second book where he named people based on hearsay to cash in more on his first book but I didn’t recall a teammate.

45 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's a real shame he doesn't see any 68 mph hangin curveballs in the big leagues.  Those go far.

Maybe one day Jarred Kelenic will start seeing them and start looking like a major league hitter.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Fire 1

I’m going to wait to see a new coaching staff until I worry about the lack of extra base hits. It’s an epidemic across the entire team, I’m willing to go out on a limb and say there may be a common denominator causing it. I don’t think Vaughn will ever be a consistent 30+ hr guy, but 20-25 with a lot of doubles with an average/obp around .300/.350 is in his future I think. 

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

I think Vaughn definitely needs to work on a new approach to better produce power as a 1b/DH. 

Hard to look at this:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/statcast?type=batter&year=2022&position=3&team=&min=q&sort=6&sortDir=desc

This launch angle works for abreu because he barrels a lot, vaughn hasn't hit that as much. But he still hits the ball hard a lot. The cohort he's in with launch angle...i'd rather see him operate more like alonso/olson than what the others are doing aside from vlad (hits the ball way harder, way more raw power) and abreu (prodigious, can do whatever he wants)

It's hard to say what his offensive ceiling might be.  I think he has plenty of power, and he's shown that he has that power.  But, like the rest of the team right now, he's hitting ground balls.  The hitting philosophy is so bad with this team that he and others are being robbed of their potential.  He's young, so hopefully the Sox go in a different direction at hitting coach and he can turn it around.  Under the right hitting coach, and manager for that matter, he could be 25+ HR guy, I think.  He needs consistent playing time, and he needs better coaching.  Maybe he sacrifices some of his average if he taps into the power.  Maybe not.  Regardless, I don't think it's fair to say he doesn't have enough power based on his performance this season.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

This launch angle works for abreu because he barrels a lot, vaughn hasn't hit that as much. But he still hits the ball hard a lot. The cohort he's in with launch angle...i'd rather see him operate more like alonso/olson than what the others are doing aside from vlad (hits the ball way harder, way more raw power) and abreu (prodigious, can do whatever he wants)

Menechino doesn't believe in launch angle