6/17 G/T White Sox v Houston 7:10 Chgo Time lift off

Golf outing tomorrow so I am posting earlier as to not be derelict.  Some wacky game times this weekend that I hopefully need to post threads for. 

So the fuse or fire is almost lit....are the boys ready for liftoff in a NASA hotbed?   Let's all hope so as Dusty pantsed Tony last season as I am sure we all still recall.  The season series last year down there was brutal sans some Hot Carl.  Hopefully we get another Michael K (not NYY version) Sunday night to wow us again. 

Below is a nice little preview I found from some site as the pathetic Chicago media doesn't have the resources....at least that I could find.  Maybe former poster Greg Pratt could talk to his bosses about that.

I didn't post odds as they are not forever in our favor this weekend.

LFG

Chicago White Sox Record: 30-31

Houston Astros Record: 39-24

Friday’s Starters:

Lucas Giolito 4-2, 3.88 ERA vs Framber Valdez 6-3, 2.64 ERA

Saturday’s Starters: 

Johnny Cueto 0-3, 3.53 ERA vs Justin Verlander 8-2, 1.94 ERA

Sunday’s Starters:

TBD vs Cristian Javier 3-3, 3.20 ERA

What to Watch:

Houston comes into the series with the clear pitching advantage. They will have their two best starters going in this matchup so it could be tough sledding for the White Sox. Chicago will need to make sure that their offense carries them within this contest and hope that their starters can dominant. Justin Verlander has been lights out this season despite returning from injury and he has helped Houston remain atop the division. The Astros at home can be a tough team to beat so the White Sox will need to be ready.

• Like 3

• Quin pinned this topic

The sox definitely need to win today or they could face a sweep the way they are hitting righties against Verlander and javier who are really good right handed pitchers. 

Sox are 25th in wRC+ against righties (87) and first against lefties (141) so they really better score 7 runs tonight and win that thing as they could have a hard time scoring against the other two astros guys. 

Edited by Dominikk85

38 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

The sox definitely need to win today or they could face a sweep the way they are hitting righties against Verlander and javier who are really good right handed pitchers. 

Sox are 25th in wRC+ against righties (87) and first against lefties (141)

I know we're a ways off from the trade deadline, but if the FO is serious about winning this year, they have to acquire a big lefty bat soon. Only 13 of the remaining 101 games are against Detroit's pitchers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I know we're a ways off from the trade deadline, but if the FO is serious about winning this year, they have to acquire a big lefty bat soon. Only 13 of the remaining 101 games are against Detroit's pitchers.

Assuming Eloy comes back,  where do you play this lefty bat? 

Unless it's a 2B, this roster is pretty much maxed out of positions.

18 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Assuming Eloy comes back,  where do you play this lefty bat? 

Unless it's a 2B, this roster is pretty much maxed out of positions.

If you actually get everybody healthy, you rotate Vaughn, Eloy, Pollock, maybe even Robert sitting vs RHP.

5 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If you actually get everybody healthy, you rotate Vaughn, Eloy, Pollock, maybe even Robert sitting vs RHP.

No thanks. 

You really want to put this on Tony LaRussa to figure out?  After all the bitching about having a set lineup? 

That would be a disaster.  

The less toys you give that man, the better.   

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Eloy is an odd one in that he hits RHP better than LHP. But he's only had one full season and the rest of the time he's getting less than 300 PA per season.

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

No thanks. 

You really want to put this on Tony LaRussa to figure out?  After all the bitching about having a set lineup? 

Then trade one of them or something. Too many righty bats in this lineup.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Then trade one of them or something. Too many righty bats in this lineup.

If you are going to bench a RHP against RHP the logical choice to sit the most is Pollock. He's hot right now but maybe he won't be by the time we get Eloy back. Plus he's been a part time player for the Dodgers the last 3 years and he's done well in that time.

Vaughn has improved greatly against RHP and should be in the lineup 90% of the time . Robert still needs as many reps as possible against all pitching. Burger is murdering lefties and not so much righties so he could sit against righties but he's still a potent HR threat against RHP he may match up with well.

Hahn does need to make a trade or 2 to bring in some LHH . He screwed it up this off season probably because there's not a lot of LHH who actually fit the bill in the positions of need which means somebody like Eloy would have to be moved when their trade value is down. It's been impossible to count on him for anything.

Who would've thought Joc Pederson would be way more valuable to the Giants than Eloy is for the White Sox ?

I'd trade Eloy for Bryan Reynolds and the Sox would have to throw in more to get Reynolds.Unfortunately Reynolds arm is the weakest part of his game.

Other names , Cedric Mullins ,Anthony Santander, Ian Happ, Daulton Varsho (who I wanted in the off season but is likely to become a permanent fixture in the AZ . OF because) 34 yr. old David Peralta is a FA next yr. He would probably be fairly cheap to acquire but he never plays RF. Don't think he has much of an arm now from multiple surgeries on throwing shoulder.

Trent Grisham having a terrible year so far but a damn good defensive player. Maybe the Padres part with him.

Jesus Sanchez (Marlins) big physical tools undermined by his approach but big time power potential.

Taylor Trammel (Sea) Nice OBP and defense. Power not so much.

Odubel Herrera Plays CF & LF way more than RF. FA in 2023 might be an option. Having a nice yr for Phillies so far.

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Sox are 25th in wRC+ against righties (87) and first against lefties (141) so they really better score 7 runs tonight and win that thing as they could have a hard time scoring against the other two astros guys. 

I don't think I'm exaggerating to say that tonight is the biggest game of the season so far for the White Sox and this is the biggest series for them.

2 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

No thanks. 

He'll come back and be IL'd again in 3 weeks so it's all moot