6/17 G/T White Sox v Houston 7:10 Chgo Time lift off

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If you are going to bench a RHP against RHP the logical choice to sit the most is Pollock. He's hot right now but maybe he won't be by the time we get Eloy back. Plus he's been a part time player for the Dodgers the last 3 years and he's done well in that time.

Vaughn has improved greatly against RHP and should be in the lineup 90% of the time . Robert still needs as many reps as possible against all pitching. Burger is murdering lefties and not so much righties so he could sit against righties but he's still a potent HR threat against RHP he may match up with well.

Hahn does need to make a trade or 2 to bring in some LHH . He screwed it up this off season probably because there's not a lot of LHH who actually fit the bill in the positions of need which means somebody like Eloy would have to be moved when their trade value is down. It's been impossible to count on him for anything.

Who would've thought Joc Pederson would be way more valuable to the Giants than Eloy is for the White Sox ?

I'd trade Eloy for Bryan Reynolds and the Sox would have to throw in more to get Reynolds.Unfortunately Reynolds arm is the weakest part of his game.

Other names , Cedric Mullins ,Anthony Santander, Ian Happ, Daulton Varsho (who I wanted in the off season but is likely to become a permanent fixture in the AZ . OF because) 34 yr. old David Peralta is a FA next yr. He would probably be fairly cheap to acquire but he never plays RF. Don't think he has much of an arm now from multiple surgeries on throwing shoulder.

Trent Grisham having a terrible year so far but a damn good defensive player. Maybe the Padres part with him.

Jesus Sanchez (Marlins) big physical tools undermined by his approach but big time power potential.

Taylor Trammel (Sea) Nice OBP and defense. Power not so much.

Odubel Herrera Plays CF & LF way more than RF. FA in 2023 might be an option. Having a nice yr for Phillies so far.

Mullins was an MVP level guy last year so hard to determine fair value.

Reynolds is going to cost much more than Jimenez...Pirates would steer away on salary and control alone.

Trammel has too much swing and miss.  He's like a 2022 offense version of Cameron.

Padres have no pressure yet to move on from Grisham with overall offense coming around and questionable defenders on both sides just like Robert.  They are looking to add another corner bat.  Or put Tatis back out there instead of benching Kim.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't think I'm exaggerating to say that tonight is the biggest game of the season so far for the White Sox and this is the biggest series for them.

Time will tell where Tony's focus is tonight, the first against the Astros since Game 4 of the ALDS.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/tony-la-russa-blasts-astros-hitting-jose-abreu-alds-game-4

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Time will tell where Tony's focus is tonight, the first against the Astros since Game 4 of the ALDS.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/tony-la-russa-blasts-astros-hitting-jose-abreu-alds-game-4

Graveman said in ST that he and Abreu talked and everything was cool. 

Wonder if TLR's beef with Dusty still a thing some 20 years later. 

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If you are going to bench a RHP against RHP the logical choice to sit the most is Pollock. He's hot right now but maybe he won't be by the time we get Eloy back. Plus he's been a part time player for the Dodgers the last 3 years and he's done well in that time.

Vaughn has improved greatly against RHP and should be in the lineup 90% of the time . Robert still needs as many reps as possible against all pitching. Burger is murdering lefties and not so much righties so he could sit against righties but he's still a potent HR threat against RHP he may match up with well.

Hahn does need to make a trade or 2 to bring in some LHH . He screwed it up this off season probably because there's not a lot of LHH who actually fit the bill in the positions of need which means somebody like Eloy would have to be moved when their trade value is down. It's been impossible to count on him for anything.

Who would've thought Joc Pederson would be way more valuable to the Giants than Eloy is for the White Sox ?

I'd trade Eloy for Bryan Reynolds and the Sox would have to throw in more to get Reynolds.Unfortunately Reynolds arm is the weakest part of his game.

Other names , Cedric Mullins ,Anthony Santander, Ian Happ, Daulton Varsho (who I wanted in the off season but is likely to become a permanent fixture in the AZ . OF because) 34 yr. old David Peralta is a FA next yr. He would probably be fairly cheap to acquire but he never plays RF. Don't think he has much of an arm now from multiple surgeries on throwing shoulder.

Trent Grisham having a terrible year so far but a damn good defensive player. Maybe the Padres part with him.

Jesus Sanchez (Marlins) big physical tools undermined by his approach but big time power potential.

Taylor Trammel (Sea) Nice OBP and defense. Power not so much.

Odubel Herrera Plays CF & LF way more than RF. FA in 2023 might be an option. Having a nice yr for Phillies so far.

Robbie Grossman makes a lot of sense. Believe he's on the second and final year of his deal with Tigers. LHB, having a terrible year, but also had a strong year last year and is a great OBP guy which would slot in very well into that 4OF spot. Can play some D, steal some bases. Would cost almost nothing to acquire. 

Also anybody who's going to complain he has been terrible this year needs to remember what Joc, Soler, and Rosario were doing last year before the Braves acquired them. 

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If Harrison isn't going to start over Leury against a LHP, then they might as well DFA him.

You can after Tim returns, but no rush to cut him now. 

Would have kept Keuchel Justin Case until Lynn returned, could have mopped up in the interim, and stepped in when Kopech sprained his ankle.

Have to work with the depth you have.

22 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Robbie Grossman makes a lot of sense. Believe he's on the second and final year of his deal with Tigers. LHB, having a terrible year, but also had a strong year last year and is a great OBP guy which would slot in very well into that 4OF spot. Can play some D, steal some bases. Would cost almost nothing to acquire. 

Also anybody who's going to complain he has been terrible this year needs to remember what Joc, Soler, and Rosario were doing last year before the Braves acquired them. 

Then what would you do with Engel and Jimenez?  I’m assuming you are DFAing Harrison here as well? 

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

In a weird side note, I find it.....interesting.....that Cesar Hernandez has managed a whopping ZERO HRs this season, so far...

There's only one evaluator out there, ever, who saw talent in him and then also the same in Harrison .... His name is Slick Rick. 

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

There's only one evaluator out there, ever, who saw talent in him and then also the same in Harrison .... His name is Slick Rick. 

The LA Dodgers were one of the runners up for Josh Harrison this year.  They have also had past interest in Hernandez.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The LA Dodgers were one of the runners up for Josh Harrison this year.  They have also had past interest in Hernandez.

Well, maybe we should also question the Dodgers and their evaluations because they also took Kimbrel off our hands (who flat out sucks). 

The only difference is the Dodgers have the capital not only with $$$ but with their farm system to be able to absorb dumb decisions. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

But not as a starter.  It’s the same role Hanser Alberto has now, behind Lux.

Nearly everyone in baseball would have had interest in first half 2021 Hernandez on that contract.  Most believed the power numbers were at least 50% any anomaly, but he has still had more positive value this season than 2/3rd’s of the Sox roster.

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Well, maybe we should also question the Dodgers and their evaluations because they also took Kimbrel off our hands (who flat out sucks). 

The only difference is the Dodgers have the capital not only with $$$ but with their farm system to be able to absorb dumb decisions. 

Might as well compare ourselves to the Yankees.

That said, past Sox teams would have been stripped down for spare parts with all the issues Grandal, Hendriks, Jimenez, Moncada, etc., are experiencing.

OFC, there’s just no justification other than a financial one for doing that in the AL Central, though.  And White Flagging it would cost the franchise much more in the longer (next 3-5 years) term anyway.

2 hours ago, Capn12 said:

In a weird side note, I find it.....interesting.....that Cesar Hernandez has managed a whopping ZERO HRs this season, so far...

Honestly makes one wonder what about Cleveland made him such a power threat.  Could even make one wonder how a lineup of mostly no-names is hitting so well this season.  I mean, it doesn't make me wonder, but I'm sure lots of people are wondering.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Honestly makes one wonder what about Cleveland made him such a power threat.  Could even make one wonder how a lineup of mostly no-names is hitting so well this season.  I mean, it doesn't make me wonder, but I'm sure lots of people are wondering.

Must be that famed lake erie water they all drink.

35 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

https://www.cleveland.com/guardians/2022/03/guardians-counting-on-secret-sauce-to-keep-pitching-factory-going-the-week-in-baseball.html

Look at their lineup, other than Ramirez.  They’re all acquisitions from other teams, primarily the Mets and Padres.

It’s certainly nothing system-wide.  Their minor league prospect depth is primarily concentrated in the middle infield…which seems more of a flexibility/versatility strategy than a hitting issue.  Rosario and Gimenez can all play multiple positions.

They did seem to get more out of Kwan, Miller and Naylor offensively than would have been expected by most prognosticators. Recently, Gimenez, a key part of the Lindor deal.  And Oscar Gonzalez, kind of a no-name Mr. Obscurity prospect.

Could be something simple like the hitting background/environment in terms of ball carrying well there in CLE with the prevailing winds?

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Or it could be the fact Cleveland's new hitting coach, Chris Valaika, studied for nearly a year at a baseball lab (Sparta Science). Chris prepares a focused game plan for each player, based on each day's opposing pitchers.

https://www.news-herald.com/2022/05/23/hitting-coach-chris-valaika-key-to-guardians-improvement-at-plate/

“That’s the most important thing,” Mercado said. “You have to develop an approach for pitchers. You have to know what they throw. He’s really good at breaking them down and communicating what those guys like to do and probably how they’re going to attack us so we can go up there with a certain plan.”

Reminds me of when McCann began preparing each White Sox starting pitcher for their starts, whereas Don Cooper focused on the pre-game buffet and had one size advice for all.

I recall a spring training video showing Katz working with Crochet or Cease. Grandal said something to the effect of  Cooper limiting what pitchers could throw and Katz saying they were moving on from that philosphy. I believe that video was made private by the White Sox.