What the hell is wrong with Giolito?

ron883

On 6/18/2022 at 6:53 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

You have zero concept in terms of MLB player market value, or Katz' value to the White Sox. 

Don't worry, you'll get your wish when Giolito leaves next September for a much larger contract than the "FAIR" offer you are pimping.

Do you think Giolito improves once he's away from Tony and his staff? Based on the last few starts Fair may be overpaying. 

On 6/19/2022 at 8:30 AM, oldsox said:

I have a very vague impression, and I don't know where it comes from, that Giolito does not particularly want to stay on White Sox.  I had the same feeling about Rodon.  I cannot back this up with anything specific.  Just a vibe.

Given the way the owner sabotaged his own organization, there may very well be others thinking the same way.

I thought that once Lynn came back this rotation would be enough to get the team into the playoffs. A rotation of Lynn, Cueto, Cease, Kopech and Giolito should get it done. Looks like Giolito is tanking beyond belief. If he keeps  getting beat up I wonder if Hahn will try to trade for another starting pitcher. If so, i hope its sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Jays kill sliders/cutters, taking away a go to option this year, especially against lefties…and the once pretty decent curveball long dead and buried with the over the top mechanics junked.

Now he throws from his ear like an NFL QB.

Can’t just go FB/CH when you’re losing your speed differential on those two with FB falling to 91-92 range…well off previous mid 90’s.

No weather excuses for the diminished stuff, either. 

He flings the ball like  T Rex

Giolito would now be ranked 69th out of 71 qualified starters in ERA if he had enough IP.  He currently needs 3 2/3rd’s more IP.

Only three qualified in the majors with ERA’s over 5.

Jose Berrios at 5.11, G.Marquez 6.16 and P.Corbin 6.60.

xFIP at 3.73 actually .02 lower than last year’s 3.75.

5.2 fWAR to 4.5 (prorated) to 4.0 to 0.0 over the span of of three seasons.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/lucas-giolito/15474/stats?position=P

Edited by caulfield12

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Hey Assclown.  FA is in October 2024. I'm not basing his prospects, good or bad, on a Summer day game in Colorado.

How about his entire 2022 season? He’s returned back to the worst starting pitcher in baseball this year (Keuchal doesn’t count).

• Thanks 1

I get his fastball is slower and not moving, but there are successful pitchers who only hit 92-94. The problem is he lacks confidence and control in his slider and you can't be a good starting pitcher today with only two pitches, one being an average fastball at best and a change-up. Terry Francona coached his team brilliantly against Gio the last time we played the Guardians, when he gave up 9 hits and 6 ER's in 3 innings. They did it by his approach of just guessing one or the other and feasting on it.

In the off season I think Gio needs to develop one or two more different pitches that he can get over consistently with movement to add to his limited arsenal. Maybe make that two seam fastball, and or a cutter. He needs to make changes because what he is doing now isn't working. 

2 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I get his fastball is slower and not moving, but there are successful pitchers who only hit 92-94. The problem is he lacks confidence and control in his slider and you can't be a good starting pitcher today with only two pitches, one being an average fastball at best and a change-up. Terry Francona coached his team brilliantly against Gio the last time we played the Guardians, when he gave up 9 hits and 6 ER's in 3 innings. They did it by his approach of just guessing one or the other and feasting on it.

In the off season I think Gio needs to develop one or two more different pitches that he can get over consistently with movement to add to his limited arsenal. Maybe make that two seam fastball, and or a cutter. He needs to make changes because what he is doing now isn't working. 

The velo wouldn't be as big of a deal if he was still missing bats like he was in April and May. The problem is that he's gone from 92-94 in the early part of the season to 90-93 now. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t understand why Ethan Katz is on staff and Giolito looks so damn bad these days. I definitely don’t consider extending Giolito, and may consider moving him in the offseason for the right deal. Obviously, we would have to resign Cueto to another year and probably another starter or two. we could permanently bring up Davis Martin in ‘23. 

I do wonder if they would consider Reynaldo Lopez as a starter in his final year. Yeah, I know been there, done that… but his stuff looks much different. Would weaken our bullpen losing Lopez, but it’s just a thought for 2023.  

Cease, Kopech, Cueto, Lynn, Martin, Lopez, (Giolito)

Edited by SouthSideGeorgia

I think we have to accept that Gio isn’t going to be the ace we once thought/hoped, but I’ll happily take what he gave us last night going forward. He’s actually been very solid in his last 10 starts….with the exception of 2 blow ups. He’s obviously going to need to avoid that, but I don’t see a guy that is “done” at all. I expect him to continue a career of throwing 175ish inning with an era in the high 3’s/low 4’s.