6/18/22 GT White Sox @ Houston 3:10 Cueto vs Verlander

wegner

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

This game is the perfect example on how handedness should not be the primary decision-maker when it comes to matchups 

That has worked so well this season . Come on now. I know you said primary but every pitcher has bad days where A+ guys could hit them. Still need good LHH hitters in your lineup always and forever. The fact the Sox historically have had the worst LHH and have been a historically bad franchise goes hand in hand.

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Damn—10 page game thread.  Don’t need to check the score—congrats everybody!

I was driving all day. I couldn't post and drive. But as soon as the whole level five self driving thing is real . . . 

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That has worked so well this season . Come on now. I know you said primary but every pitcher has bad days where A+ guys could hit them. Still need good LHH hitters in your lineup always and forever. The fact the Sox historically have had the worst LHH and have been a historically bad franchise goes hand in hand.

Sure. But the obsession with this manager with handedness, no matter who the hitter is, is a little ridiculous, don't you think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

Sure. But the obsession with this manager with handedness, no matter who the hitter is, is a little ridiculous, don't you think?

Not really because there clearly needs to be some kind of obsession with it because Hahn keeps failing to get any good LHH position players when they are sorely needed. Plus if TLR was really in charge of some of our acquisitions how obsessed can he really be if the Sox didn't get any LHH this off season.

No one really expected the drop off of Moncada and Grandal and a terrible start by the RHH . Plus all the injuries led to Leury being in the lineup more than he ever should have been. Sheets was in the lineup a lot and doing poorly when everyone else was also. Injuries in the BP left the Sox with a lot of unqualified arms and tired arms in the pen. An obsession would imply you could probably name dozens of such instances when he shouldn't have played a match up , not based on the results of the match up but why it was a poor decision before he made it.

I'm not really sure which instances of obsession you are referring to so it's difficult to answered your query. An obsession would imply you could probably name dozens of such instances where playing match ups was idiotic. Most managers play match ups. Hitters become switch hitters to take advantage of match ups. Relief pitchers becoming a thing and slowing down the game was playing match ups until MLB took some of that away from managers by making the 3 hitter rule. But you did say hitting so maybe you should be limited to giving me instances of hitting obsessions that are somehow not related to trying to get a bat going or injury related which are things all managers deal with.

Let's face it the Sox are mediocre right now because of injuries all over the 25 man roster and terrible hitting until the last few weeks and just a lot of bad and tired arms in the pen when the hitting was coming around with Kelly, Crochet, Velasquez and Bummer all missing.

You can pin a lot of things on TLR but he's only working with what he's been given and when players are bad, decisions turn out bad. A manager is only as good as his players make him look. He's in the Hall of Fame not because he's some genius manager but because he stuck around a long time and managed some teams filled with great players like most managers in the Hall.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not really because there clearly needs to be some kind of obsession with it because Hahn keeps failing to get any good LHH position players when they are sorely needed. Plus if TLR was really in charge of some of our acquisitions how obsessed can he really be if the Sox didn't get any LHH this off season.

No one really expected the drop off of Moncada and Grandal and a terrible start by the RHH . Plus all the injuries led to Leury being in the lineup more than he ever should have been. Sheets was in the lineup a lot and doing poorly when everyone else was also. Injuries in the BP left the Sox with a lot of unqualified arms and tired arms in the pen. An obsession would imply you could probably name dozens of such instances when he shouldn't have played a match up , not based on the results of the match up but why it was a poor decision before he made it.

I'm not really sure which instances of obsession you are referring to so it's difficult to answered your query. An obsession would imply you could probably name dozens of such instances where playing match ups was idiotic. Most managers play match ups. Hitters become switch hitters to take advantage of match ups. Relief pitchers becoming a thing and slowing down the game was playing match ups until MLB took some of that away from managers by making the 3 hitter rule. But you did say hitting so maybe you should be limited to giving me instances of hitting obsessions that are somehow not related to trying to get a bat going or injury related which are things all managers deal with.

Let's face it the Sox are mediocre right now because of injuries all over the 25 man roster and terrible hitting until the last few weeks and just a lot of bad and tired arms in the pen when the hitting was coming around with Kelly, Crochet, Velasquez and Bummer all missing.

You can pin a lot of things on TLR but he's only working with what he's been given and when players are bad, decisions turn out bad. A manager is only as good as his players make him look. He's in the Hall of Fame not because he's some genius manager but because he stuck around a long time and managed some teams filled with great players like most managers in the Hall.

Hoo boy. I really don't have the time to thoroughly answer this question. All you need to do is look at the lineups he was screwing around with for the first 2 months of the season. And I would actually argue it's more with pitchers than with the hitters. Exhibit A: Intentionally walking Trea Turner with a 1-2 count to get to Max Muncy. Got national attention. Easy case of manager losing the game.

Look, I wasn't totally against TLR when he was hired. I wasn't "thrilled," but I wasn't against it. Hell he even got us to the playoffs last year. But if you've watched most Sox games this season, and have a good sense of modern-day baseball, I'm not sure how one doesn't question TLR's decision-making.

Lately, I think someone up front has been up his ass, because his lineups have been actually making sense.

Edited by ScooterMcGuire

27 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

Hoo boy. I really don't have the time to thoroughly answer this question. All you need to do is look at the lineups he was screwing around with for the first 2 months of the season. And I would actually argue it's more with pitchers than with the hitters. Exhibit A: Intentionally walking Trea Turner with a 1-2 count to get to Max Muncy. Got national attention. Easy case of manager losing the game.

Look, I wasn't totally against TLR when he was hired. I wasn't "thrilled," but I wasn't against it. Hell he even got us to the playoffs last year. But if you've watched most Sox games this season, and have a good sense of modern-day baseball, I'm not sure how one doesn't question TLR's decision-making.

Lately, I think someone up front has been up his ass, because his lineups have been actually making sense.

I know and this will be archived soon lol. And you didn't say lineup construction you said match ups and specifically mentioned hitting. All of April the Sox had 2 guys hitting ANderson and Vaughn. The rest sucked ass. May it got a little better Anderson , Robert ,Vaughn and Abreu. Abreu started May hot but then went 2 for his next 28 and didn't get hot again til May 16th. June the whole team seemed to start hitting even the scrubs except Sheets and Leury but that's when the BP got worn out and BP injuries started piling up with Lynn still missing and Kopech coming out of a game earlyand Velasquez, Bummer and Kelly injured .I mean I'm no TLR apologist but he's dealt with a lot of suck and a lot of injuries.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside