A Guy The Sox Should Sign IMO

greg775

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

OK, Pollock is good; Cain bad. I will root harder for Pollock. If he's red hot, good for the Sox and us fans. Like I said I appaarently whiffed on this one. Sorry to waste 1/100th of people's days the last two days. You wasted 1/100th of mine making sure I spelled Pollock right and you wrong. Peace.

Yes, I definitely misspelled Pollock, I apologize for taking up 1/100th of your day. 

I wasn't trying to attack you or anything, it's just that you didn't address the post that should of ended this discussion. I can respect trying to think of ways to fix the team, but right now Cain isn't the answer.

Greg, did you even look at his numbers or you just saw the name and that he was available?

It’s okay, it’s not as if there are options growing on trees for LH RF or 2B.

In fact, Termarr Johnson was selected as the AL rep for 2027 MLB All-Star action (at second) and he’s yet to even be drafted into pro ball.

2 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Yes, I definitely misspelled Pollock, I apologize for taking up 1/100th of your day. 

I wasn't trying to attack you or anything, it's just that you didn't address the post that should of ended this discussion. I can respect trying to think of ways to fix the team, but right now Cain isn't the answer.

Seems to me like he addressed it by admitting he was wrong, yet peeps are still piling on. Weird thread all around.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scs787 said:

My bad. I thought you were blasting me. I was wrong on this one apparently but I stlll say it'd be nice to have another guy with respect in the clubhouse who has won the big prize. Sort of like the Zobrist role. But apparently Cain even thinks he's finished so once again, I whiff on the argument, yet I contend the Sox also whiff a lot so no biggie. At least I try to contribute to discussions. Not all of my points are dismissable.

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Greg, did you even look at his numbers or you just saw the name and that he was available?

I forget now if I did or not. I'm a believer in 'change of scenery' so my concern wasn't so much how he was doing but his history as a guy with ring(s). I salivate at acquiring somebody with leadership skill on a bizarre team like the Sox.

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2022 at 1:31 AM, greg775 said:

I just wanted to try something different. Clearly Cain is a leader type. Clearly he knows the Central. Clearly he needs a change of scenery. If he's finished, fine. He can't hit any worse than a Grandal in the .100s. ... But if I'm so wrong, fine. Forget I brought it up. Cain blows. OK.

We could make Cain the catcher!  Not TA, Cain!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

The history is that it’s somehow okay to pile on Greg, which it’s not.  

Greg is inner-circle Soxtalk membership

greg spends his days piling on Soxtalk and then claiming to be the victim when he gets the response he is looking for.  Don't waste your energy.

• Love 2

8 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

We could make Cain the catcher!  Not TA, Cain!

Tim Anderson is 6-1 185 with a good arm; Manny Sanguillen was 6-foot, 193 with a good arm. Our catcher position has been awful since Pudge Fisk (6-3, 200). Shortstop is much easier to replace. I stand by my desire back then to move Timmy to catcher. I'm sure if we found the original thread I have a lot of caveats in my post. I'm sure it's being taken out of context as most of my posts of the controversial variety are. Peace.

p.s. A lot of Sox fans considered TA a liability at SS when he was making those errors earlier this season. Find those threads too. (I think he's a fine SS and excellent hitter and I never jumped on him for those errors. But we fail to single out those who made ridiculous statements during TA's defensive slump, just me; rest assured I saw them).

Edited by greg775

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

greg spends his days piling on Soxtalk and then claiming to be the victim when he gets the response he is looking for.  Don't waste your energy.

This post is interesting. I can't recall ever piling on any poster or come close to insulting any poster. A few posters engage and I enjoy reading their takes, especially if their takes are at least 2-3 paragraphs rather than a one-line zinger putting me in my place so to speak.

I try to remain respectful at all times. I can't imagine anybody disagreeing with that statement.

Edited by greg775

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This post is interesting. I can't recall ever piling on any poster or come close to insulting any poster. A few posters engage and I enjoy reading their takes, especially if their takes are at least 2-3 paragraphs rather than a one-line zinger putting me in my place so to speak.

I try to remain respectful at all times. I can't imagine anybody disagreeing with that statement.

I don't consider trolling respectful, so there you go.

27 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Tim Anderson is 6-1 185 with a good arm; Manny Sanguillen was 6-foot, 193 with a good arm. Our catcher position has been awful since Pudge Fisk (6-3, 200). Shortstop is much easier to replace. I stand by my desire back then to move Timmy to catcher. I'm sure if we found the original thread I have a lot of caveats in my post. I'm sure it's being taken out of context as most of my posts of the controversial variety are. Peace.

p.s. A lot of Sox fans considered TA a liability at SS when he was making those errors earlier this season. Find those threads too. (I think he's a fine SS and excellent hitter and I never jumped on him for those errors. But we fail to single out those who made ridiculous statements during TA's defensive slump, just me; rest assured I saw them).

Greg, what happened to the likes of Joe Mauer and Buster Posey?

Playing that position shortened their careers by 3-5 years.

Anderson could surely do it, but why end the career of one of the best hitters in baseball prematurely?

Look at Grandal today as another example.

And SS's that are $100+ million studs don't grow on trees.  There are only 8-10 in the entire world.

If there were too many, we would have a good 2B by now by simply converting one...but the future MLB 2027 All-Star list has a high schooler in Terrmar Johnson listed due to the dearth of quality depth at even second base in the majors.

You can always find a guy. But acquiring/paying for THE guy is not so easy.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Greg, what happened to the likes of Joe Mauer and Buster Posey?

Playing that position shortened their careers by 3-5 years.

Anderson could surely do it, but why end the career of one of the best hitters in baseball prematurely?

Look at Grandal today as another example.

And SS's that are $100+ million studs don't grow on trees.  There are only 8-10 in the entire world.

If there were too many, we would have a good 2B by now by simply converting one...but the future MLB 2027 All-Star list has a high schooler in Terrmar Johnson listed due to the dearth of quality depth at even second base in the majors.

You can always find a guy. But acquiring/paying for THE guy is not so easy.

Good points all. ... I was trying to point out my post was no more silly than the people burying Timmy earlier this year when he had that bunch of errors. We just didn't call out those peeps for their angry takes toward Anderson playing SS.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Good points all. ... I was trying to point out my post was no more silly than the people burying Timmy earlier this year when he had that bunch of errors. We just didn't call out those peeps for their angry takes toward Anderson playing SS.

The difference is on the positional change from SS.

And who would actually replace Anderson?  They were never going to spend on Correa, Seager, Semien, Story or Baez.

A certain SD shortstop had the same defensive problems last year, but his move to the outfield was more about preserving his health/shoulder.

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't consider trolling respectful, so there you go.

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who posts inflammatory, insincere, digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.), a newsgroup, forum, chat room, online video game, or blog), with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses,[2] or manipulating others' perception.

Kind of a broad term that would apply to many posts. Even just having normal polite baseball discussions provokes readers into emotional responses especially when you are polite and people laugh at your posts or call you names or your arguments stupid. The minute you challenge people to think critically instead of emotionally you become a troll.  People are pretty emotional to start with once a disagreement happens.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who posts inflammatory, insincere, digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.), a newsgroup, forum, chat room, online video game, or blog), with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses,[2] or manipulating others' perception.

Kind of a broad term that would apply to many posts. Even just having normal polite baseball discussions provokes readers into emotional responses especially when you are polite and people laugh at your posts or call you names or your arguments stupid. The minute you challenge people to think critically instead of emotionally you become a troll.  People are pretty emotional to start with once a disagreement happens.

Thanks for the definition, but in this case it is 100% not about anything on the surface level.  This isn't about anything you just posted, but an intentional act.