Bullpen

reiks12

My biggest concern going forward is this bullpen. With starters that seemingly cant go more than 5 or 6 innings and injuries to our top relievers, the pen is in crisis mode.

I see Hahn going after a couple of relievers at the deadline but man the starters need to go deeper into games. 

4 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

My biggest concern going forward is this bullpen. With starters that seemingly cant go more than 5 or 6 innings and injuries to our top relievers, the pen is in crisis mode.

I see Hahn going after a couple of relievers at the deadline but man the starters need to go deeper into games. 

If they ever get everybody healthy, they have Hendriks-Graveman-Bummer-Kelly-Foster-Lopez-Velasquez-Ruiz. That's a good enough bullpen. Just too many guys out right now.

The starters do need to start being able to go 6 consistently though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

Between all the bullpen signings this was supposed to be a strength (again). Allocate all these resources to the pen and the results are extremely frustrating 

We have never had our full bullpen at one time with injuries to Hendricks, bummer, and kelly

25 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

Between all the bullpen signings this was supposed to be a strength (again). Allocate all these resources to the pen and the results are extremely frustrating 

Doesnt matter how much you allocate if they get hurt.

This pen was supposed to be Hendriks, Graveman, Bummer, Kelly, Crochet, Reylo, VV, and 1 more. That would have been a strength, injuries haven't allowed it

5 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

This pen was supposed to be Hendriks, Graveman, Bummer, Kelly, Crochet, Reylo, VV, and 1 more. That would have been a strength, injuries haven't allowed it

I guess the 1 more would have been Ruiz, who might perform different in mop up duty vs. high leverage.

But yeah this bullpen would have been cool to see. Instead, it's a revolving IL door

I

54 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If they ever get everybody healthy, they have Hendriks-Graveman-Bummer-Kelly-Foster-Lopez-Velasquez-Ruiz. That's a good enough bullpen. Just too many guys out right now.

Still could use a 2nd lefty and I would love to improve upon Ruiz/Foster who have both been really bad lately.  I think this will be a focus leading up to the deadline.  We don't really need anything splashy; just solid vets.   And chances EVERYONE gets healthy is pretty low, anyway. 

58 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

At some point they need to look at managing the innings Kopech pitches and that will either put more strain with bullpen days or mean acquiring a starter of some sort to eat up those innings, as the Sox minor league starting options seem minimal.

1 minute ago, Chimpton said:

At some point they need to look at managing the innings Kopech pitches and that will either put more strain with bullpen days or mean acquiring a starter of some sort to eat up those innings, as the Sox minor league starting options seem minimal.

Related to that.... I think VV is one of the biggest "glue" guys on the staff. With how fickle the health of the staff seems to be, having a relief valve for Kopech (not to mention the other starters that may need rest as the season goes on) will be huge.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CeaseAndExist said:

No one could possibly have predicted this, right?

1 hour ago, Chimpton said:

Kopech is currently on pace for 140 regular season innings.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Kopech is currently on pace for 140 regular season innings.

Which is probably about 20 too many.  Also why I would have just IL'd him with the knee thing and given him a couple starts off.  Would have bought ~10 of those innings right there.  

7 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

What sort of limit do you thing he should have? What sort of innings limit do you think the Sox will do?

I would probably have guessed right in that range will be their goal. 

If Everyone here stays healthy through the all star break they can probably manipulate the order of guys to spare him some innings there easily.

• Thanks 1

Yes, the pen health is a concern. However, I think it is a concern precisely because 5-6 innings for the starters is *as designed*.  Starters going 8 innings pitching to contact and then turning it over to a closer is a bonus and a luxury we shouldn't count on. We have to assume the pen will take nearly half the game and therefore need to have them ready to do so.

Edited by SpringfieldFan

3 hours ago, SpringfieldFan said:

Yes, the pen health is a concern. However, I think it is a concern precisely because 5-6 innings for the starters is *as designed*.  Starters going 8 innings pitching to contact and then turning it over to a closer is a bonus and a luxury we shouldn't count on. We have to assume the pen will take nearly half the game and therefore need to have them ready to do so.

This is why Cueto has been so key lately, hes exactly the luxury you describe and a much needed addition to this rotation if that continues. 

Giolito looks like hes in for another short outing today. Pen cant keep this up.

4 hours ago, reiks12 said:

This is why Cueto has been so key lately, hes exactly the luxury you describe and a much needed addition to this rotation if that continues. 

Giolito looks like hes in for another short outing today. Pen cant keep this up.

Yes, gotta give credit where credit is due on that signing.